Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Decent comeback in the second half after a woeful first 35 minutes. Crosby again did very well and got another 2 points. Would have won in the end was it not for the Louth keeper being in stunning form.

Think our team was more of an experimental one than Louth's who had the likes of Keenan, Hoey, White and Brennan playing.
    Very good to see David Bray back in the green and gold.

Joe going to Full forward left the Louth full back line with their hands full.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

it was a good comeback, and great experience for the young lads. louth team had alot more of their main players today than we did. hopefully david bray will get more game time against UCD, will that game to be on saturday or sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Sunday at 230 in navan, great to see an actual proper come back from the boys tonight. Woeful mixed with spirit, hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Mixed feelings about this. Poor first half, fighting spirit in the second but then couldnt shore things up when we were a point up.
    Looking at the teams we were more experimental than Louth so that might explain why they came out of the traps a bit quicker.
    Great to have D Bray back.
    Hopefully we can put UCD away at the weekend but cant take anything for granted, remember our last encounter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Great photo of Paddy after the goal went in:
    400133_10151395075876282_1653828043_n.jpg
    Pity we couldn't win the resulting kickout.
    More changes for UCD on Sunday with David Bray starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Guys I have been abroad for the last week. I picked up a copy of the Irish Independent today when I came back, and it said the game was a draw. Just wondering, why no replay? I assume time is the issue, if so are we in the winners section or the runners up? Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Guys I have been abroad for the last week. I picked up a copy of the Irish Independent today when I came back, and it said the game was a draw. Just wondering, why no replay? I assume time is the issue, if so are we in the winners section or the runners up? Cheers.

Group A still to be decided after the draw. It will depend on sundays results. If Longford beat Louth and Meath lose, Longford could go through.
    If Meath and Louth win on sunday it could come down to points diff to seperate the two and decides who makes it into the last 4. Dublin and kildare are already safely through, I think.

When a Meath man is located Weatmeath is he abroad? :-)

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    The O'Byrne Cup is different this year. Instead of a straight knock out competition and the O'Byrne Sheild for first round losers, there's 4 groups of 4 teams each so each team gets a minimum of three games. We beat Longford by two points on Sunday while Louth beat UCD by 5. Final group games are on Sunday with the group winners making the semi finals.
    Think this is a much better format than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

We scored 1-8 the other night, 4 points coming from defenders and another from our goalie. So, 1-3 from our forwards for 70 minutes football is not good enough really. Early days I know but I would hope the likes of B Sheridan rally puts his heart into it because on his day he can be almost unmarkable. Remember the under 21 game a few years ago against Westmeath where he was majestic for the first half.

Brian Sheridan has never really looked impressive as a Meath senior player in my view. I've seen him play with DCU and Seneschalstown and he can be magnificent, but I've never been impressed with him when playing with the seniors.

Another experimental side out today. A total of 29 players have been used in the three O'Byrne Cup games and it looks like Micko could have unearthed a few gems. Once again, Crosby was very good. Conor Sheridan did well in midfield with Tormey and Sean Tobin looking good in the forwards. Unlucky to go unbeaten but miss out on a shot at the Dubs in Navan.
    Hopefully more of the first teamers will be up to speed in three weeks for the Monaghan game. It will be very tough to get out of Division 3. A lot of the teams there have beaten us in recent seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Decent comeback in the second half after a woeful first 35 minutes. Crosby again did very well and got another 2 points. Would have won in the end was it not for the Louth keeper being in stunning form.

IMO Gally is probably the best shot-stopper in the country - very underrated goalkeeper.

I see we are playing Leinster managed by Pat Gilroy on the 25th.
    Wonder what starting XV Leinster will put out. Not a bad challenge match although the players wont be too used to each so they might have a slow first half.
    I was in Parnell Park for the Railway Cup semi last year and the Leinster team took about 25 mins to get going at least as they hadnt spent much time together before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

iDave wrote: »
    Wonder what starting XV Leinster will put out. Not a bad challenge match although the players wont be too used to each so they might have a slow first half.
    I was in Parnell Park for the Railway Cup semi last year and the Leinster team took about 25 mins to get going at least as they hadnt spent much time together before hand.
    Where is the game being played Dave

Pairc Tailteann

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

iDave wrote: »

thatll be a good game what times throw in?

Its been moved to Ashbourne, throw in 7.30

Free entry as well. Can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

I see Daithi Geaney is transferring from Dingle up to St. Peter's,Dunboyne.Decent corner forward who played a handful of league games for Kerry in 2011 scoring well in each of them,Could be a big addition to the county panel.But would ye take him?

Prop Joe wrote: »
    I see Daithi Geaney is transferring from Dingle up to St. Peter's,Dunboyne.Decent corner forward who played a handful of league games for Kerry in 2011 scoring well in each of them,Could be a big addition to the county panel.But would ye take him?

if hes living and working up this way then yes id have no problem.if hes "living" here and commuting to kerry for work(cough seanie johnston cough) he can go and sod off.

Big Joe has his first blog of 2013 up on LiveGaelic, gives a pretty good account of last year and a look ahead to 2013.

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/the-joe-show/the-joe-show-all-the-small-things/

Next week he's doing a piece about the FRC rules from a player POV. If anyone here has any questions they want to ask him on that or other topics just say so and I'll get him to answer them if possible in the next few blogs.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    If anyone here has any questions they want to ask him on that or other topics just say so and I'll get him to answer them if possible in the next few blogs.
    Ask him does he aim to deliver at least one drop kick in every game he plays ;)
    Whether he aims to or not, he certainly delivers.

Game against Leinster tonight is off. Leinster couldn't field a team and it'd probably be off anyway due to the weather.

Ask him does he aim to deliver at least one drop kick in every game he plays ;)
    Whether he aims to or not, he certainly delivers.

lol, he'll like that :D

I've given him a fair bit of stick over the drop kicks but in fairness he's super accurate with them a lot of the time!

that point down in mullingar a couple years back in the qualifier wherehe took it on the half volley was a thing of beauty no tv crews that night if it had gone in the net zidane wouldve been proud of it

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

TG 4 now :D

Team for Monaghan:
    Paddy O'Rourke; Donal Keoghan, Brian Menton, Davy Dalton; Ciaran Lenihan, Eoghan Harrington, Stephen Crosby; Joe Sheridan, Conor Gillespie; Brian Meade, Damien Carroll, Jamie Queeney; Paddy Gilsenan, Peadar Byrne, Brian Farrell.

Not a bad team given the amount of injuries we have.

Ok so Micko seems to think Joe is the man to deal with our midfield issues.
    Peadar at 14 is an interesting choice too. My concern for Peadar and always has been that he cant give us a good 70 mins. I actually liked him as a Jody style super sub.
    To be honest theres plenty of talent in there but our away league performance for as long as i can remember seem to have a stronger bearing on our results than actual team selection.

What's wrong with the two Reillys? Who else is missing?

Graham Reilly must be injured though I'm not sure actually. Kevin Reilly had an operation on his ankle before Christmas so he'll be out for the first few games. As well as those, we're missing Stephen Bray, Seamus Kenny, Mark Ward, Shane McAnarney, Mickey Burke and Alan Forde.

Away form simply has to improve. Think we've only won 2 away games (against Wexford and Westmeath) since the league went back to 4 divisions in 2008. In that time, we've lost to the likes of Monaghan, Antrim and Tipperary away and drew with Roscommon.

Pretty sure Wardy is just off the panel at the moment. His ankle should definitely be right by now anyway.

• Advertisement

New year, new manager, new division, same old crap from Meath.

Advertisement