Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Jordy Morris is named in the starting 15 for Sunday. Must have kissed and made up with Colm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

OK, this is pretty close to rock bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

It’s not over yet. Meath have had some great comebacks over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

That was the old Meath. Meath post 2012 are the antithesis to the old great Meath teams.

Meath football is dead for the foreseeable future. Meath could of had the pick of the best Kerry and Dublin players, and would of still lost. They can forget about tactics, looking for more talent, training, conditioning etc, these aren't the problems.

There's a deeper problem, a poison in the county, psychological or whatever, that's taken hold and grows every year. Unless someone can find out a way to fix this, they may as well forget about it.

Usually when this happens, at some point, someone stands up or there is a spark. When Meath got the goal in the second half v Dublin two years ago, and rallied, that should of been it. But there's no real leaders to drive it.

When the going gets tough, Meath get smaller and fold. Beaten dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

In fairness London have had a solid team for years now, take them lightly and results like this happen.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭enricoh

Will o Rourke stay on after the summer do ye reckon? Looking at Louth going nowhere for years, they pushed the boat out to get mickey harte in and it's paying off big time. Have we anyone with that vision in our selection process, doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

hard to know what will happen tbh...From the outside the players seem to want him on board but who knows really...yesterday was truly woeful, one of the 3 worst halves Ive seen Meath play in ever....Fair dues to Offaly, they were by far the better team. Didnt even get to the start of summer for this years championship. Wonder will the players commit now and take the Tailteann cup seriously. Ill be going to games on my own as my usual possy of 4 or 5, none of them have any intentions of going to the games

That was another dreadful result. Awful few weeks for Meath GAA.

Club championship draws will be made this evening at 8pm live on the Meath GAA Youtube.

The first half yesterday was dire. I get that we aren't going to be winning an All Ireland anytime soon but you don't need talent to tackle a player. The amount of times Offaly lads just walked through for a score was unacceptable, they also copped pretty quick they could let us have the kick out short because they were stripping us time and again. For all that the amount of wides meant with better shooting we actually could've won, it would have been a robbery though.

Its crazy that from the Cork game the team seems to be going backwards at a rate of knots. If the team wants Colm as manager (and I assume they do) the lack of intensity in the first half yesterday is an odd way to show it.

• Advertisement

SFC

Group A

Donaghmore/Ashbourne

Dunshaughlin

Na Fianna

Curraha

Group B

Simonstown Gaels

Trim

Seneschalstown

St. Peters Dunboyne

Group C

Ratoath

Moynalvey

St. Colmcille's

Skryne

Group D

Wolfe Tones

Gaeil Colmcille

Ballinabrackey

Summerhill

IFC

Group A

Rathkenny

Drumbaragh

Oldcastle

Navan O'Mahonys

Group B

St. Michael's

Duleek/Bellewstown

Blackhall Gaels

Castletown

Group C

Walterstown

Longwood

Nobber

Ballivor

Group D

Meath Hill

Dunderry

Bective

St. Patrick's

JAFC

Group A

St. Vincent's

St. Brigid's

Ballinlough

Moylough

Kilmainham

Group B

Clann na nGael

Kilbride

Dunsany

St. Ultan's

Syddan

JBFC

Group A

Cortown

Eastern Gaels

Kilmainhamwood

St. Mary's

Drumconrath

Clonard

Group B

Slane

Moynalty

Boardsmill

St. Paul's

Carnaross

SHC

Group A

Ratoath v Killyon

Kildalkey v Na Fianna

Trim v Kiltale

Group B

Blackhall Gaels v Dunderry

Kilmessan v Clann na nGael

St. Peters Dunboyne v Longwood

IHC

Group A

Rathmolyon v Boardsmill

Drumree v Navan O'Mahonys

Kildalkey v Gaeil Colmcille

Group B

Trim v Wolfe Tones

St. Peters Dunboyne v Kilskyre/Moylagh

Donaghmore/Ashbourne v Kilmessan

Hoganstand.com/Cavan/Article/Index/327565

Draw tomorrow morning. First seeds so Meath will start with a home game against Tipp, Longford, Wicklow or Carlow. Tipp & Longford both relegated from Div 3 this year.

Drawn with Down, Tipp and Waterford. First game will be home to Tipp the weekend after next. The following weekend will be away to Waterford followed by a final game against Down in a neutral venue after a two week break. Never went to a game in Waterford before so that'll be a novelty at least.

Haven't heard any details of potential withdrawals from the squad yet. Would not be surprised if there are a number of them.

So its Meath Down Tipp and Longford.....

Tipp & Waterford are fairly poor. Waterford probably the worst team in the country.

Down are getting alot of hype but they beat a Donegal team in disarray. Let’s not forget, they couldn’t get out of Division 3.

Offaly didn't get out of Division 3 either! I genuinely think we will struggle against Down as they will apply a defensive system we've been struggling with for a long time.

Even we should easily beat Waterford. Tipp have often been a bogey side for us recently but they have regressed since they made those semi finals so we should really have enough for them at home. Wouldn't be at all confident though. Down aren't great but we weren't able to beat them last season at home and that was playing with a strong wind and without them scoring in the second half.

We must be the easiest of teams to set up against as most teams will have a chance if they just pack the defence and keep us from getting any goal chances.

Seen online that Ratoath v Dunshaughlin was put off last night as there was no ref. Both teams on the field ready to go? Anyone else hear about that as I see it’s refused for next week already

Anyone going to the game later? I’ve a communion on, usually I’d head regardless, in between, but not sure, trying to motivate myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

great 2nd half come back for the minor 1-8 to 0-4 down at halftime ran out 3-14 to 1-11 winners. sets up a leinster semi against Kildare next week.

A win against Waterford but, yet again, the defence is just so open. Conceding 1-14 against probably the worst team in the country is abysmal. In division 4, Waterford's highest total was 2-9 against London.

We're through to the knockouts but I'd expect Down to account for us in the next game meaning we'll be in a preliminary quarter final.

Hurlers through to a tough Christy Ring final against Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Trying to look up league tables on the Meath GAA website and several games just have no result submitted. It's not like the games weren't played as there'll be mention of them on club twitter pages etc. but I shouldn't have to go looking for them there.

A few weeks ago on the Meath website I could see an article on a mural St. Colmcilles had painted, but I couldn't find any results for 3 of St. Colmcilles games in Division 3A! They're up now but it makes looking up competition info a waste of time if it's not updated in a timely fashion.

Good to get that win in a tight game that we were probably slightly lucky to do so.

Exhibition of point scoring by Jack Regan in Croke Park in the first half. 17 points to 7 up at half time and Jack has scored 9 of those. One of them from play must have been the guts of 100m out. Really impressive performance so far.

Christ that was way closer than it should have been. 13 points ahead after 10 minutes of the second half and we were hanging on at the end, even with Derry reduced to 14. But we won division 2B and the Christy Ring so can't really criticise.

Not a mention here of Meath’s victory against Down yesterday? I know the Tailteann Cup isn’t garnering much interest in Cavan this year but is Meath as bad?

Great win yesterday for the hurlers! Good to see some silverware here again…

also very good win for the footballers, it was great to see some fight in them and liked they (just about!) we’re able to close out game. Still weak at the back but look these games are helping.

it’s great to see the games but at the end of the day, I can’t say I’m excited at all by Tailteann cup. I’ll go to the games to show the lads respect though..

Tailteann Cup Prelim Quarter Finals. Games next weekend. First team at home

🏐Offaly v Wexford

🏐Fermanagh v Laois

🏐Down v Longford 

🏐Carlow v NY

Meath, Cavan, Limerick, Antrim await winners

• Advertisement
Advertisement