Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

New year, new manager, new division, same old crap from Meath.
    Speachless at the result

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

New year, new manager, new division, same old crap from Meath.

You at the game by any chance ?? Clones was always going to a tough game but that score line is inexcusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Jesus how bad was the score line lads?

I would have put Meath favourites to win in clones..

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Probably the worst Meath performance I have ever witnessed. No leadership, hunger or tactics. Lucky Monaghan kicked so many wides. Very worrying times

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Jesus how bad was the score line lads?

I would have put Meath favourites to win in clones..

1-18 to 2-03

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mully_2011 wrote: »
    You at the game by any chance ?? Clones was always going to a tough game but that score line is inexcusable.
    I was, unfortunately. I've become used to being beaten away, but today was a different level of embarrassing.
    We were actually lucky to "only" lose by 12 points. Queeney's early goal was a complete miskick which trickled under the keeper while our second goal floated over the keeper from 30 yards out. Add to that the fact that Monaghan kicked a massive amount of wides and we could have conceivably lost by 20+. Monaghan were fantastic in the second half and their shooting was magnificent, but it was horrible to see the players give zero effort to even make the scoreline respectable. I was expecting a loss today but now they have to come back from that and try and beat Wicklow away from home. I fear that another loss next week and we can kiss promotion goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

We can hardly blame Banty :mad:

mattser wrote: »
    We can hardly blame Banty :mad:

Have to blame someone. What about barny allen??:eek:

We've had a managerial merry go round and the results on the pitch have gotten worse. Does this show now that managers arent the problem but theres a complete lack of talent in the county

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Missed the 2nd half because i went out of lmfm range in the car so i only really have what the internet has to say about how bad the performance was.

But the way i see it its better this is happening now rather than later as at least now there's time 4 a fix. MOD will have learnt a lot today and no doubt changes will be made. Imo one of the problems in the past is attitude rather than skill and if the team was as flat as everyone says it shows there was an attitude problem today.

As for lack of talent i think the underage in meath is falling behind for a number of years, minor final last year notwithstanding. It will be a while before we catch up with the likes of dublin or tyrone in that regard if the dinosaurs in county board ever decide to do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

What's green and yellow and its at the bottom of division 3???

Don't be so down beat lads the only way is up..
    I remember kildare last year lost there first two games monaghan and tyrone but still went on to win the league. Im sure ye will be there come the end of the league .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

I was, unfortunately. I've become used to being beaten away, but today was a different level of embarrassing.
    We were actually lucky to "only" lose by 12 points. Queeney's early goal was a complete miskick which trickled under the keeper while our second goal floated over the keeper from 30 yards out. Add to that the fact that Monaghan kicked a massive amount of wides and we could have conceivably lost by 20+. Monaghan were fantastic in the second half and their shooting was magnificent, but it was horrible to see the players give zero effort to even make the scoreline respectable. I was expecting a loss today but now they have to come back from that and try and beat Wicklow away from home. I fear that another loss next week and we can kiss promotion goodbye.

More like kiss Division 4 " Hello ".

When watching the RTE documentary on Donegal over Xmas what was interesting was during their phase of disappointments they were known as the 'party boys' and to be honest maybe were suffering with the same problem. Happy to wear the shirt, get all the gear, be seen in The Palace and have loads of Twitter followers without the responsibility a county jersey actual requires.
    I follow a few of the players on Twitter and they seem more interested in that Superbowl thing and setting up funny hashtags than their perfomances.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

iDave wrote: »
    When watching the RTE documentary on Donegal over Xmas what was interesting was during their phase of disappointments they were known as the 'party boys' and to be honest maybe were suffering with the same problem. Happy to wear the shirt, get all the gear, be seen in The Palace and have loads of Twitter followers without the responsibility a county jersey actual requires.
    I follow a few of the players on Twitter and they seem more interested in that Superbowl thing and setting up funny hashtags than their perfomances.

I also think that this is a problem, maybe not with the whole team but with at least a selection of the players. even after dismal displays you can be guaranteed to see a large selection of the senior players in the palace the night of the game. I remember in recent seasons the team scraping past poor opposition on a Saturday, you see them in the Palace that night (Off their faces) and the Sunday night after and yet they have a championship game in 5 days!

I don't begrudge the team a bit of celebration but I know amateur teams (minor/junior/Sunday league soccer teams) that have drinking bans enforced during championships so I don't see why the Meath senior team can't do something similar? There's nothing wrong with a few drinks after a win but to be scuttered drunk falling around the dance floor in the palace is a bit too unprofessional in my opinion (even if its an amateur sport).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Particularly in the second half Monaghan just seemed to run right through our entire team. The defending was extremely loose, they didn't seem to know who they should be marking half the time. They didn't look fit or strong enough to take on Monaghan even though they're training 4 nights a week - maybe they should concentrate more on quality of training than quantity.

Very disappointed, poor crowd too and can't see many Meath people being bothered to go to Wicklow next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Have to blame someone. What about barny allen??:eek:

personally i lie the blame for the state of football in the county squarely at the door of those who were running the county board for the last 30 years.when we were sweeping all ahead of us in the late 80s through to 2001 that was the time to be ensuring the structures were in place to keep the conveyor belt going.little or nothing was done and now were years behind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

my friend wrote: »

too many 'Palace men'

9 months later, still too many 'Palace Men'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

1996 we did not even register a score vs roscommon in the league, and we went on to win the AI

Glass half full ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

I replied to a Meath post in another county thread, but its probably more relevant here, how do Meath posters feel about Sunday's game? Is it really panic stations at this early stage? Does anyone know what stage training is at, etc? Things can't be that bad yet surely?

Ok we have an immediate chance to strike back against Wicklow this weekend. Hopefully our away curse wont bite, we did manage an away win at Westmeath last year.
    Hopefully MOD has a better idea now of what direction he wants to take the team and maybe with a better attittude our season can kick start in Aughrim.

• Advertisement

Dave, perhaps you can answer my question, do you know where their training is at present? I was under the impression this was a good set up, good things were coming out of the camp. I was putting Sunday down to a heavy training program and the early stages of a new management team, do you think it was a bad attitude?

I think attitude is key Cormac as i alluded to in a previous post. A lot of Donegal style party boys, its a culture that needs kicking out IMO. Not sure of the training situation, living in Dublin myself so a little detached but i'm sure Hammer Archer knows.
    Some of the posters on the Hoganstand forum are spreading rumours of trouble in the camp but its just rumours.

iDave wrote: »
    I think attitude is key Cormac as i alluded to in a previous post. A lot of Donegal style party boys, its a culture that needs kicking out IMO. Not sure of the training situation, living in Dublin myself so a little detached but i'm sure Hammer Archer knows.
    Some of the posters on the Hoganstand forum are spreading rumours of trouble in the camp but its just rumours.
    That's unsettling, I had been talking to a Meath friend before the Christmas and everything coming from the camp then had been positive. It seemed to me that they had put together a good team there and it was just a case of getting the players to buy into the set up. Surprised if that's not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I replied to a Meath post in another county thread, but its probably more relevant here, how do Meath posters feel about Sunday's game? Is it really panic stations at this early stage? Does anyone know what stage training is at, etc? Things can't be that bad yet surely?

No i dont think its panic stations just yet, I remember years ago, the league didnt matter as much as it seems to do now, it was always used for trying new players and building towards the summer, with Colm Brady, Trevor Giles, and Sean Kelly involved, they are to good not to know what they are at and where they want to go. Maybe i'm wrong but Leinster draw looks very favourable and i would be aiming for that rather then Monaghan or wicklow in feburary

No i dont think its panic stations just yet, I remember years ago, the league didnt matter as much as it seems to do now, it was always used for trying new players and building towards the summer, with Colm Brady, Trevor Giles, and Sean Kelly involved, they are to good not to know what they are at and where they want to go. Maybe i'm wrong but Leinster draw looks very favourable and i would be aiming for that rather then Monaghan or wicklow in feburary

That was my sentiments. Everything about the ticket appealed to me, hence why I wondered was there extenuating circumstances about Sunday. Meath are always to be feared, regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I hear Damien Carroll broke his ankle training at Dunganny Tue night. Huge loss to Meath if true. Any word of it from ye Meath boys?

Bizzum wrote: »
    I hear Damien Carroll broke his ankle training at Dunganny Tue night. Huge loss to Meath if true. Any word of it from ye Meath boys?

Yep its true. He is out for rest of league. Good player but he needs to strengthen up big time if he is going to fulfill his potential. Maybe a couple of months off will do him good and hopefully he back for championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Good player but he needs to strengthen up big time if he is going to fulfill his potential. Maybe a couple of months off will do him good and hopefully he back for championship

He's only a young lad. I would contend that the best preparation for the champoinship is not to be out with a broken ankle.
    I think Meath football has more than it's quota of lads out injured without another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Does anyone know the result of the minors game against wicklow in navan today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Does anyone know the result of the minors game against wicklow in navan today?

last I heard Meath by 15 - not sure if that was a final score but safe to say Meath won :D

Advertisement