Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Thanks, its up on hoganstand now as 2-16 to 1-2. More of the same from the seniors tomorrow please

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Improved performance today though it has to be said Wicklow were completely awful and I'd expect them to be back in division 4 if they keep on putting in those performances. Other results went our way as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Would'nt be braeking out the champers just yet lads, as Hammer Archer pointed out we were useless and everybody else is likely to beat us as well.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Would'nt be braeking out the champers just yet lads, as Hammer Archer pointed out we were useless and everybody else is likely to beat us as well.

Though it has to be said that div 3 is now wide open with 6 teams on 2 points. Wouldn't have thought many predicted fermanagh to be the team out in front tbh. We play Cavan the next day, if we could get a win in that game against the neighbours things might not look as bleak. Plus the game is in navan if thats any advantage to us.

Cavan had a big win this weekend so that just shows how things can change week on week. Monaghan must have looked like the team to beat until then. Mick and the team have 2 weeks to prepare which should be more than enough time.

Remember its still only february and i think a win against cavan will put us back on track for promotion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

good to get a result ned to win all the games now but i think fermanagh are looking very good and i wouldnt be suprised to see them go up anyway

• Advertisement

What does everyone think of the championship draws? Ye don't have the easiest of groups rpurfield though at least ye avoided O'Mahony's.
    Last three Junior championship winners drawn together in the Intermediate championship should be interesting.
    Junior championship is wide open as always. Wouldn't bet against another second team going up to intermediate given the amount of emigration problems a lot of teams have.

What does everyone think of the championship draws? Ye don't have the easiest of groups rpurfield though at least ye avoided O'Mahony's.
    Last three Junior championship winners drawn together in the Intermediate championship should be interesting.
    Junior championship is wide open as always. Wouldn't bet against another second team going up to intermediate given the amount of emigration problems a lot of teams have.

i didnt see all the groups but thats an utter c**t of a group weve got into.the group na fianna are in looks a belter too should be some good games in the championship this year.ive earmarked 2013 as the year i get back to club games because the twins are 4 now they can come along and run about if they want so its going to be a good year to get back into it!!

on another note our club has been doing training for 3-4 year olds the last while its ment to be very good so all going to plan ill start the twins into it when its back on saturday.is there any other clubs in the county doing something similar and is there any feedback on how good it is for them?apparently its to do with the go games stuff so i assume its well structured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 boxyflat

money should be pumped into the hurlers now aswell seeing as the footballers have gone so bad and improve both county teams evenly so as we can have a sence of pride back within the county and promote the game of hurling properly would be a good idea if the top brass weren't pub rulers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

boxyflat wrote: »
    money should be pumped into the hurlers now aswell seeing as the footballers have gone so bad and improve both county teams evenly so as we can have a sence of pride back within the county and promote the game of hurling properly would be a good idea if the top brass weren't pub rulers

Attitudes are hard to change, I doubt its just a matter of money thats stopping us becoming a dual county. Having said I'd love to be competing for 2 Leinster championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seanboylan87

draffodx wrote: »
    I also think that this is a problem, maybe not with the whole team but with at least a selection of the players. even after dismal displays you can be guaranteed to see a large selection of the senior players in the palace the night of the game. I remember in recent seasons the team scraping past poor opposition on a Saturday, you see them in the Palace that night (Off their faces) and the Sunday night after and yet they have a championship game in 5 days!

I don't begrudge the team a bit of celebration but I know amateur teams (minor/junior/Sunday league soccer teams) that have drinking bans enforced during championships so I don't see why the Meath senior team can't do something similar? There's nothing wrong with a few drinks after a win but to be scuttered drunk falling around the dance floor in the palace is a bit too unprofessional in my opinion (even if its an amateur sport).
    Mod Edit - Personal Abuse

• Advertisement

whatnext wrote: »
    Looks like someone hit a nerve.......

2 posts - both directed at the same poster....
    draffodx, you obviously have made yourself an enemy :pac:

rpurfield wrote: »
    on another note our club has been doing training for 3-4 year olds the last while its ment to be very good so all going to plan ill start the twins into it when its back on saturday.is there any other clubs in the county doing something similar and is there any feedback on how good it is for them?apparently its to do with the go games stuff so i assume its well structured.
    I know my own club do what's known as "Ducks" football and hurling. I think it's for any kids under 5. I don't exactly have much experience of it, but I think it's pretty well organised. I think it's mainly focused on being fun for them rather than competitive and gives every child roughly the same amount of playing time regardless of their abilities.

So whats the story with the knockout stages of the senior and intermediate championships?

Are they the same as last year or is the format different again?

Hibbeler wrote: »
    So whats the story with the knockout stages of the senior and intermediate championships?

Are they the same as last year or is the format different again?
    Yet to see a conclusive answer on this. What exactly was the format last season?

am i right in saying the numbers of teams have changed at senior and inter this year??well 2 came up outta junior A anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

whatnext wrote: »
    Looks like someone hit a nerve.......

2 posts - both directed at the same poster....
    draffodx, you obviously have made yourself an enemy :pac:

Never my intention to offend anyone, my post was merely a suggestive opinion, I am of course aware of the effort the players put in for the county in terms of training, sacrificing home and social lives, effort at staying in shape, long hard nights on the training pitch honing their skills and of course they equally deserve gratitude and admiration for this.

With this in mind my post was of course one sided and focused purely on one small negative, however I still stand by it as my opinion, however valid or invalid others may think it is.

Yet to see a conclusive answer on this. What exactly was the format last season?

I think in IFC last year it was 2 teams from each group to knockout. 2 teams straight to semis and 4 in QF.

not as familiar with SFC but as far as i can make out top 3 from groups a and b and top 2 from group c were in QF. I'd imagine this year with each group equal teams they'll have 3 through from each group.
    rpurfield wrote: »
    am i right in saying the numbers of teams have changed at senior and inter this year??well 2 came up outta junior A anyway.

Yes I think there's 18 teams in senior and 16 in inter this year, as opposed to 17 and 15 respectively. plan is to have 18 across each of the top 3 grades for next year. AFAIK no relegation from inter again this year and i think both junior finalists promoted again this year to make 18 teams in IFC.

If I remember correctly last time there was 16 teams in IFC they had top 3 from group A and top 2 from groups B and C straight to QF and third in groups B and C play off for last QF spot. I'd imagine they'll go back to this or stick with way it was last year.

I'm just speculating for most of that though.... i'm just going by what it says on the wiki pages

Was anyone at the U-21 match?
    Always good to beat Louth anyway and now a tough one against Kildare to come.

Yeah it was a good performance after a terrible start. Should have been further than 3 points ahead at half time but the forwards got their scoring boots on in the second half.
    Daniel Queeney and Brian McMahon were the best of the forwards. McHugh in goals looks like a great prospect. Great presence and distribution and made a brilliant one on one save in the second half. Good to see all four Ratoath lads get on the scoreboard.

But Louth were awful and we'll need to cut out the number of wides if we're going to go any further.

so how about bryan menton keeping micheal murphy scoreless in the sigerson semi final and getting motm in the final??

• Advertisement

Very impressive performances by him. I think he will be a great player for us. If Kevin Reilly gets fit and remains fit, our defence would be extremely solid.

Fair play to the hurlers who beat Down by a point in Newry today.
    The Minors (without players from St. Pats) were beaten by Kildare in the Leinster MFL semi final 8 points to 6.

Anyone else friends with Hoganstand Meath on Facebook? They actually come up with some quality photos. For example, I never knew that Devin Toner played with Moynalvey as a kid.
    601424_146118608885191_1303562933_n.jpg
    He was a massive fecker back then too.

Will have to add that page so. Hoganstand is based in Meath isnt it?

iDave wrote: »
    Will have to add that page so. Hoganstand is based in Meath isnt it?

kells i think. I do think that is a very good page however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Any idea what age the team was at the time? U14 maybe?

Some baste of a young lad!

Bizzum wrote: »
    Any idea what age the team was at the time? U14 maybe?

Some baste of a young lad!

Under 14 alright. Captained them back in 2000.

What are peoples thoughts on Cavan this Saturday? Must win game but certainly not a foregone conclusion. I see both Seán Tobin (who had a good game against Wicklow) and Mark Collins are out through injury. Cian Ward may be in for an appearance though.

Looking forward to Saturday night. Trying to pretend Clones-gate never happened but it is there at the back of my mind. Meath in the league regardless of the division are capabable of losing to anyone but our home record isnt bad. Apart from Derry and Louth last year its been pretty decent over the years. A win is vital though, I dont fancy having to go away to the Rossies chasing a result. Cavan will be very much up for this. Theres a derby element to it and they will be bouyed by their result to Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Quick match preview here folks if anyone cares to check it out:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-preview-meath-vs-cavan/

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Big game tonight. Hope the players step up another gear now. Pitches beginning to dry out and summer getting closer. These next few weeks could set us up nicely for a long year if we get onto a roll!

• Advertisement

disgrace

Advertisement