Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Terrible loss tonight :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

:D

???

Hard luck Meath.. Heard Cavan went all out from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

Looking like division 4 next year the way things are going. Absolutely shocking stuff tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Worst Meath performance I've seen. Beaten off our own pitch without much resistance. No fight in the side at all

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

what happens now, if we win the rest of our games could we still get promoted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Lads, have we actually gotten this bad, seriously hope we don't end up in a relegation battle.

Maybe we should just follow the hurlers instead, another good win for them today over London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

meath12 wrote: »
    what happens now, if we win the rest of our games could we still get promoted?

10 points is normally enough for promotion can this Meath side that has lost 2 of their 3 games suddenly win four games in a row?

10 points is normally enough for promotion can this Meath side that has lost 2 of their 3 games suddenly win four games in a row?

well to be honest nothing this meath team does surprises me anymore. they can play awful one week and then go out the next week and play well. i cant see them winning the rest of their games but atleast there still is abit of hope that if we improve we could still get promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Players need to have a good look at themselves, too many egos from lads that have won nothing. Should be embarrassed and ashamed today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Delighted I couldn't make it last night. I'm not one bit surprised at the result. Even with the staggering amount of injuries I think we're a mid-table division 3 team now. Four of our last five league games have been embarrassing defeats. And the worrying thing is that two of those were in Navan against local rivals. When things weren't all that rosy a few years back, at least we were pretty solid in Navan.
    Promotion is still a slim possibility given that any team can beat any other in this division, but we simply cannot lose again. And I honestly can't see us going to Roscommon next week and getting a result.

• Advertisement

royaler83 wrote: »
    Players need to have a good look at themselves, too many egos from lads that have won nothing. Should be embarrassed and ashamed today

You should be embarrassed and ashamed for posting that about your fellow meath men.. Get behind the team rather than standing in front giving out about them.

Meath footballers play for free and represent Meath week in week out they have nothing to be ashamed of.. I'm disgusted reading your post tbh is it you that presumes Meath are above their post? Lads can only give what they have got. And Cavan are an up and coming team so no embarrassment for Meath..

Hope you pull it together bad for Leinster football Meath being poor

Good luck Meath

You should be embarrassed and ashamed for posting that about your fellow meath men.. Get behind the team rather than standing in front giving out about them.

Meath footballers play for free and represent Meath week in week out they have nothing to be ashamed of.. I'm disgusted reading your post tbh is it you that presumes Meath are above their post? Lads can only give what they have got. And Cavan are an up and coming team so no embarrassment for Meath..

Good luck Meath

in fairness its easy for you to say that but its very fustrating for meath supporters seeing the players go out and show no heart or pride in the jersey, thats the least we ask from them to atleast try because they are better than what they showed last night so i can see why people are annoyed. if you were to follow kildare all around the country and then see them play with no heart and only score 1 point from play in the whole game, then i dont think you'd be too happy either.

Good luck Meath
    To be fair DK, I've seen similar and worse thing said about Kildare players before McGeeney came along (and even after McGeeney's first championship game against Wicklow). I would actually be in agreement with royaler. Just because the players are amateurs doesn't mean they're above criticism from fans who pay a lot of money to follow them around the country.

On paper, even with injuries, we should easily be able to win this division (or at least be in the top 2) yet after 3 games we sit second from bottom of division 3 with two of the most inept displays you're likely to see (I'm going on other people's accounts of last night's game). This certainly gives credence to the belief among a lot of Meath fans that there is something seriously wrong with the mindset of a number of players currently on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Major hissy fit from Bernard Flynn on RTE Radio1 at Tommy Carr for questioning why so few of the golden generation are involved with Meath GAA.

Carr had a point in fairness, they are too busy pontificating from their cushy media jobs.

Sometimes the truth hurts Bernard.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Good luck Meath

A player playing for Meath and walking into the dressing room losing 10 - 01 at half in navan to Cavan ought to b embarrassed, I don't see how they couldn't :confused: I go to every game I can and shout till I'm hoarse supporting them but it's hard to watch a team with no fight which is what we are witnessing so far.
    I've always said the league is imaterial, it's all about the cship. Like last year, a good run in Leinster will be more important than any league results but last night and clones was desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Until we sort out our midfield problems we will get nowhere. The days of having 2 giants in midfield are over. You need someone who can run for 70 minutes and cover every blade of grass. The Cavan midfield overran us all game. McKiernan scored 3 points from play. The other midfielder couldn't have been taller than 6 foot at most and yet he got through an unreal amount of work. I think he touched the ball in every attack and never let Meath break through midfield quickly either. We looked unfit and were beaten in every physical encounter.

The Cavan forwards were selfless, making dummy runs and didn't mind if they didn't touch it as long as a Cavan score came. Meath play as individuals, and I've said it for the last couple of years. We have a serious problem getting quality, EARLY, ball into our forward line. We are too slow and cumbersome in our build up play which gives the opposition time to funnel back and clog up their defence meaning if we manage to get past the 45, it's a wall of defenders in our way.

I was very surprised that Conor Sheridan was dropped from the panel after the O'Byrne Cup to be honest as I thought he was probably the most impressive of all the midfielders we tried in the competition. Every half decent midfield we come up against, we are constantly cleaned out.

To lift the doom and gloom a bit, great win for the hurlers in Trim against London yesterday. That's the two hardest games on paper out of the way and we've full points. Looking likely that we'll finish in the top two and have a chance at promotion again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Fairly sure Sheridan is U21, and the U21s wont be joining the seniors till they are out.

And if any fans have simply lost faith in the footballers or just arent travelling to Roscommon next weekend. Meath hurlers are going great and could do with any extra support when they play Mayo in Trim next sunday.

To be fair DK, I've seen similar and worse thing said about Kildare players before McGeeney came along (and even after McGeeney's first championship game against Wicklow). I would actually be in agreement with royaler. Just because the players are amateurs doesn't mean they're above criticism from fans who pay a lot of money to follow them around the country.

On paper, even with injuries, we should easily be able to win this division (or at least be in the top 2) yet after 3 games we sit second from bottom of division 3 with two of the most inept displays you're likely to see (I'm going on other people's accounts of last night's game). This certainly gives credence to the belief among a lot of Meath fans that there is something seriously wrong with the mindset of a number of players currently on the panel.
    think i just read that post and saw red tbh just cant stand people criticising players like that..

i can see the point that at half time at home having scored 1 point and conceded 10 against a team that would not be considered the strongest to be upsetting though, sorry to ye all if i caused offense lads..

before mcgeeney arrived kildare football was in a terrible place though i dont think players had self belief that they could do it on big stage.. could that be problem in meath that management are not installing confidence in the team??

maybe im wrong but think meath need to forget promotion and hope to get results to stay in the division. i know how hard it is to suffer football wise im a kildare man ffs most of us are grey haired at 27 with worry lol

good luck to meath though and as i said its terrible to see a huge county in division 3..

also noticed one kildare poster rubbing salt in earlier sorry about that.. there really is no need for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

were in division 3 on merit and deserve to be there.hopefully theres something starting to come thru with the minors the last couple of years but it is disheartening to be looking at lads going out and not showing a bit of pride in the shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

think i just read that post and saw red tbh just cant stand people criticising players like that..

i can see the point that at half time at home having scored 1 point and conceded 10 against a team that would not be considered the strongest to be upsetting though, sorry to ye all if i caused offense lads..

before mcgeeney arrived kildare football was in a terrible place though i dont think players had self belief that they could do it on big stage.. could that be problem in meath that management are not installing confidence in the team??

maybe im wrong but think meath need to forget promotion and hope to get results to stay in the division. i know how hard it is to suffer football wise im a kildare man ffs most of us are grey haired at 27 with worry lol

good luck to meath though and as i said its terrible to see a huge county in division 3..

also noticed one kildare poster rubbing salt in earlier sorry about that.. there really is no need for it

mattser wrote: »
    [/B]
    ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Major hissy fit from Bernard Flynn on RTE Radio1 at Tommy Carr for questioning why so few of the golden generation are involved with Meath GAA.

Carr had a point in fairness, they are too busy pontificating from their cushy media jobs.

Sometimes the truth hurts Bernard.

Yeah, it was an interesting exchange alright. I thought Flynn got his arse handed back to him.
    Though one point Flynn should have countered: Carr spoke of counties being successful at underage translating to senior success. Carr mentioned Kildare as stepping up to the mark. I felt this was a convenient argument for Carr to prove his point. Yet he failed to point out the failure of Kildare at underage level. And in fact simply jumped on the bandwagon of three league wins (unless the O'Byrne cup counts for anything). Carr also conveniently ignored that it was Meath who beat Kildare in the championship as recent as last year.

It's easy to appear right when your county are shaping up well. People tend to believe all kinds of ****e when there's even the slightest association with a winning camp!

Broadly I thought Carr hit the nail on the head though.
    I wish Meath all the best. As an Offaly man I always held Meath football in high regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

??

I hit the button too quick DK. Was going to say we're big boys, and are well able to give as good as we get.
    Personally I would love to see Kildare win the AI.

mattser wrote: »
    I hit the button too quick DK. Was going to say we're big boys, and are well able to give as good as we get.
    Personally I would love to see Kildare win the AI.

Ah Jesus the AI I'm just delighted seeing them playing good football. Dublin are very very strong hard to see past them for the AI.

The poster I mentioned was poking with a big stick there was just ansolutely no need for it especially after a defeat.

Either way good luck to ye lads..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Its one thing to support a team thats rubbish bit its another thing to support a team thats rubbish and doesnt care. Thats whats so frustrating about this. Do they actually feel any sense of shame about losing 0-10 0-01 at half time at home? I'm sure there all having great craic together being part of a county team but for the rest of us its just disappointment. If they were losing but still fighting tooth and nail for every ball I'd would say fair enough they're doing their best but with this lot theres no difference between losing by a point or 10 points so long as the young ones in the Palace know who they are. Meath football is crumbling around them but that doesnt matter so long as everyone on Twitter knows their opinions on the superbowl and calving season.
    At least the hurlers spared a few blushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

iDave wrote: »
    Do they actually feel any sense of shame about losing 0-10 0-01 at half time at home?

Of course they do. Saw some of the players on Saturday after the game and they were fairly quiet and upset. Tough to deal with them when they come home in that state :rolleyes:

As some one said earlier they all seem to be playing as individuals and there is far too much build up play in front of goal. Everyone too afraid to take a shot.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Of course they do. Saw some of the players on Saturday after the game and they were fairly quiet and upset. Tough to deal with them when they come home in that state :rolleyes:

As some one said earlier they all seem to be playing as individuals and there is far too much build up play in front of goal. Everyone too afraid to take a shot.

i suppose it was probably in the palace that you seen them after the game :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

meath12 wrote: »
    i suppose it was probably in the palace that you seen them after the game :rolleyes:

No, they're family members. Called in for a cup of tea and a chat with their granny on the way home after the game. Having seen first hand the sacrifices these players make (no nights out for months at a time, abuse in public, using annual leave to cover days off when injuried, sacrifices made at work to leave early to make training etc.) I find the 'palace boys' stereotype particularly offensive.

• Advertisement

Meathlass wrote: »
    No, they're family members. Called in for a cup of tea and a chat with their granny on the way home after the game. Having seen first hand the sacrifices these players make (no nights out for months at a time, abuse in public, using annual leave to cover days off when injuried, sacrifices made at work to leave early to make training etc.) I find the 'palace boys' stereotype particularly offensive.
    i am always saying that family and relatives of GAA players use boards too must be hard to see the effort that some put in to be ridiculed on an internet forum.

i know one kildare player very well and to see them criticised last year to the hilt was driving me fing crazy not because i am biased but it upsets me to see lads getting rode on forums..

Advertisement