Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Can't see it either. Praying for a Fermanagh win tonight because I can't see either yourselves or Monaghan losing either of your last two games. Promotion is definitely out of our hands.

I disagree. Wicklow away and Roscommon are two very tough games. It'll also heap alot of pressure on the shoulders of our young team.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Half time in Navan Meath 1-5 Sligo 2-9

F*CKS SAKE

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

That's more like it in the second half. Finally the players showed a bit of pride after another shocking performance in the first half. Sligo ran rings around most of the backs in the first half and were scoring at will. Midfield were overran as well. Second half, Gillespie was brought on and Kevin Reilly moved to half back which steadied the ship. Despite missing all of six goal chances (three in a matter of seconds) we slowly wore the lead away. Newman was excellent in the second half and Lenehan was my man of the match.

Now if we can put in that type of performance for the remaining two games, I'll be a little bit happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

That's more like it in the second half. Finally the players showed a bit of pride after another shocking performance in the first half. Sligo ran rings around most of the backs in the first half and were scoring at will. Midfield were overran as well. Second half, Gillespie was brought on and Kevin Reilly moved to half back which steadied the ship. Despite missing all of six goal chances (three in a matter of seconds) we slowly wore the lead away. Newman was excellent in the second half and Lenehan was my man of the match.

Now if we can put in that type of performance for the remaining two games, I'll be a little bit happier.
    What was the final score???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

meath4sam wrote: »
    What was the final score???

Meath 1-17 Sligo 2-12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

Meath 1-17 sligo 2-12

we need fermanagh to beat cavan now, fermanagh are leading by 2 points and theres about 15 minutes left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yep I actually enjoyed that game, first one of the year that was entertaining. Great 2nd half. Gillespie helped big time. Thought paddy Gilsenan did well after being brought on and Newman was excellent. Graham Reilly is actually an engine, class player. Even having him on steadied the team. Thought Cain could have got abit longer, laid off some good passes. Hopefully bray not seriously injured, he had a decent first half when the rest of the team were at sea! Looking abit better after this eve, thank god!

And Cavan down to 14. If it stays like this, winning our last two games will give us promotion.

fermanagh win 1-12 to 1-10 now we just need to win our next two games and we'll be promoted :) not many wouldve thought there was a chance of us being promoted after the cavan game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

seems like we are back in with a chance of promotion after the win today. However I can see us winning both our last 2 games and yet failing to win promotion as we would need other teams to drop points and for us to gain a better score difference.

All going well the last game against fermanagh could turn into a winner take all battle!

Also fermanagh finished against cavan with 12 men! They've done well so far but don't know if they have the depth to lose so many to suspension

Hibbeler wrote: »
    seems like we are back in with a chance of promotion after the win today. However I can see us winning both our last 2 games and yet failing to win promotion as we would need other teams to drop points and for us to gain a better score difference.

All going well the last game against fermanagh could turn into a winner take all battle!

Also fermanagh finished against cavan with 12 men! They've done well so far but don't know if they have the depth to lose so many to suspension

no right now promotion is in our own hands, monaghan are on 8 points, fermanagh 7 points and us 6 points. all the other teams are on 5 or less. so theres no doubt that if we just win the last 2 games then we will definitely be promoted!

I always said I thought ye and Monaghan would go back up. Has anyone a link to the table as it is now?

meath12 wrote: »
    no right now promotion is in our own hands, monaghan are on 8 points, fermanagh 7 points and us 6 points. all the other teams are on 5 or less. so theres no doubt that if we just win the last 2 games then we will definitely be promoted!

Ah the table I was looking at must have been out of date. Can't complain with that. Lets hope the team can push on

Lemlin wrote: »
    I always said I thought ye and Monaghan would go back up. Has anyone a link to the table as it is now?

|P|W|D|L|Dif|Total
    Monaghan|5|4|0|1|+23|8
    Fermanagh|5|3|1|1|+16|7
    Meath|5|3|0|2|-3|6
    Cavan|5|2|1|2|+10|5
    Roscommon|5|2|1|2|-6|5
    Antrim|5|2|0|3|-2|4
    Sligo|5|1|1|3|-11|3
    Wicklow|5|0|2|3|-27|2

Monaghan are all but promoted. We know that we have to win our remaining two games. You would assume that Fermanagh will beat Sligo at home next weekend meaning the winner of the final game in Navan between ourselves and Fermanagh will be promoted. Didn't look likely at 5.45 this evening.
    Lemlin, were all of Fermanagh's red cards straight reds? I see the first of theirs was but not sure of the other two?

|P|W|D|L|Dif|Total
    Monaghan|5|4|0|1|+23|8
    Fermanagh|5|3|1|1|+16|7
    Meath|5|3|0|2|-3|6
    Cavan|5|2|1|2|+10|5
    Roscommon|5|2|1|2|-6|5
    Antrim|5|2|0|3|-2|4
    Sligo|5|1|1|3|-11|3
    Wicklow|5|0|2|3|-27|2

Monaghan are all but promoted. We know that we have to win our remaining two games. You would assume that Fermanagh will beat Sligo at home next weekend meaning the winner of the final game in Navan between ourselves and Fermanagh will be promoted. Didn't look likely at 5.45 this evening.
    Lemlin, were all of Fermanagh's red cards straight reds? I see the first of theirs was but not sure of the other two?

Thanks for the table. Barry Owens was a straight red. The other two were for two yellows AFAIK. It got very scrappy at the end and was hard to follow.

Fermanagh impressed me. They were the first team I've seen to match Cavan's fitness and were the best team I've seen Cavan play this year.

That said, it was 14 against 15 for the entire game virtually and they used their extra man well.

Meath will really need to lift their game to beat them, even in Tailteann.

My hope (that I can't see happening!) would be that Sligo beat a depleted Fermanagh team next weekend and then Fermanagh beat Meath.

Even if that did happen though, I can't see Cavan winning their last two games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

owens was straight red, Quigley won't be back either. Strange league but now can't see any other outcome than Monaghan and Meath going back up tbh.. Who would have thought that a few weeks ago.. :eek: Fermanagh are very beatable - 14man Cavan carrying a few knocks and missing McKeever still could have taken them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Good to get 2 wins on the trot but the performances in both still leave a lot to be desired. Not going to get anywhere if we only play for 35 mins.
    I hear people getting excited about a possible promotion but its important to note at 5.45 on Saturday we were Div 4 candidates. The small nature of the divisions means one result can change everything.
    Nevertheless if we can translate the second half spirit into the remaining 140 mins of the league perhaps promotion is a possiblity. At minimum though maintaining Div 3 is necessary, not sure if were ready for Div 2. Would hate to go up and straight back down. Keep in mind next year that division could have Kerry, Mayo or Down in it.
    Antrim badly need the points this weekend as they're hovering just above Sligo and our recent record in Belfast isnt great. Fermangh will be looking to secure promotion in Navan in the last game so no easy games

I wouldn't agree that we're not ready for division 2. Personally, I think there isn't a whole lot of difference between the teams in division 3 and a lot of division 2. Just over a year ago, we hockeyed Westmeath (albeit them being without their Garrycastle contingent) in Mullingar and now they're on the brink of division 1. In previous seasons, there were always some high quality sides (Kildare, Tyrone, Donegal, Cork) mixed in with more average teams. However, this season I'd say all division 2 teams are average to mediocre.
    Next season's division 2 will certainly be tougher with 2 of Kerry, Down, Mayo and Donegal being there, but that's where we simply have to be in order to improve. Even with two of those teams in it next year, we really should have enough to stay up.

I wouldn't agree that we're not ready for division 2. Personally, I think there isn't a whole lot of difference between the teams in division 3 and a lot of division 2. Just over a year ago, we hockeyed Westmeath (albeit them being without their Garrycastle contingent) in Mullingar and now they're on the brink of division 1. In previous seasons, there were always some high quality sides (Kildare, Tyrone, Donegal, Cork) mixed in with more average teams. However, this season I'd say all division 2 teams are average to mediocre.
    Next season's division 2 will certainly be tougher with 2 of Kerry, Down, Mayo and Donegal being there, but that's where we simply have to be in order to improve. Even with two of those teams in it next year, we really should have enough to stay up.

I'd agree. A number of the teams in Division 3 are easily as good as the top teams in Division 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

well said hammer weve a lot of young lads on that team that arent used to big games and a few early season tilts at the likes of kerry if they were relegated and we go up would do them good.two sizeable ifs in that mind you

Two massive ifs.
    Wouldn't be surprised if Sunday's game is called off as there's a large amount of snow forecast up north over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Two massive ifs.
    Wouldn't be surprised if Sunday's game is called off as there's a large amount of snow forecast up north over the next few days.

casement this afternoon

BF-NI1gCQAADCpW.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

That'll hardly go ahead so. Even if it thaws the pitch will be soggy and muddy. Will be an awful spectacle.
    As for the team. 3 changes Gillespie, G Reilly and Farrell to start.
    Seamus Kenny on the bench, delighted to have him back in the squad. If the players attitude is correct and the 2 Reillys and Kenny fit Meath could be a decent outfit but look lets see how we do in Belfast first.
    We've had some bad memories of that place after our last 2 league visits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Weather is meant to pick-up up north by Sunday so would be surprised if the game is called off. It won't make for a pretty game with a heavy mucky pitch and a dogfight off a game - while I'd usually back Meath in such conditions - Antrim in Casement are a tough nut to crack. You get nothing easy in Casement on the best of days. You could toss a coin to be honest to pick a winner in those circumstances.. A draw would make things very interesting going into the last weekend of fixtures..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

No disrespect to Antrim, but if Meath can't win up there, whatever the conditions, we surely are a Div. 3 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Game off tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dani Pacheco

mattser wrote: »
    No disrespect to Antrim, but if Meath can't win up there, whatever the conditions, we surely are a Div. 3 team.

Playing Antrim in Casement will be a lot harder then most people realize. This year especially, there is very little difference between the standard in Division 2 and 3.
    That said, it will be an extremely disappointing league campaign if we don't go up. I'd always be afraid that having played Div 3 football league we wont be as sharp come championship as other years.

mattser wrote: »
    We only lost to them up in Belfast two years ago. We can lose to anyone on our day.

• Advertisement

Meath are well capable of beating or losing to literally everyone on their day. It's the games against teams that might be considered weaker teams. And especially with the inconsistency shown in recent years its hard to know where the real meath team stands at times

also any idea on when the antrim game is being rescheduled to?

Advertisement