Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I'd imagine it be next weekend seeing how the last round of games is the following week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I'd hope it's next weekend though that's not good for the clubs. That'll mean that the county players won't have a club game until the championship starts.
    Hopefully the weather improves between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Well meant to re scheduled for mid week from what I heard there a while ago

GAA website says it'll be either Saturday or Sunday next week.
    http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/allianz-football-league/roinn-3/

Hurlers up against Roscommon in Athleague in 15 minutes. A win there would mean they're in the league final with a game to spare. In fact, by the looks of it, even a draw would be good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

A genuine question here lads but do you see Meath turning into a hurling county in the next few years?

blackbelt wrote: »
    A genuine question here lads but do you see Meath turning into a hurling county in the next few years?
    No, quite simply. We do have some great hurlers in the county (Nicky Horan in his prime would have made any side in the country) but there are a large amount of people in the county that have zero time for hurling.
    Case in point was the hurler's game today. With the footballers, the Meath supporters usually do live updates on Facebook and Twitter. The hurlers just hockeyed Roscommon to make it to the league final with a game to spare and there hasn't been any word from about the result. Surely, with the footballers' game postponed, they could have had someone there to update people.

No, quite simply. We do have some great hurlers in the county (Nicky Horan in his prime would have made any side in the country) but there are a large amount of people in the county that have zero time for hurling.
    Case in point was the hurler's game today. With the footballers, the Meath supporters usually do live updates on Facebook and Twitter. The hurlers just hockeyed Roscommon to make it to the league final with a game to spare and there hasn't been any word from about the result. Surely, with the footballers' game postponed, they could have had someone there to update people.

spot on really.there is being a bit of work done at underage in the likes of the cilles in laytown and ourselves and im sure some other non hurling areas but its not enough to see meath competing in the Liam mccarthy in say 10-15 years time

After today's games, we are officially not gonna be relegated to division 4.
    Huzzah!

Antrim game rescheduled for Sunday at 1.15pm. Double header with the Antrim hurlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Had a discussion over a few pints the other night about Meath team of late 80's. Can anyone give me a list of brothers that were on the Meath panel at this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Had a discussion over a few pints the other night about Meath team of late 80's. Can anyone give me a list of brothers that were on the Meath panel at this time?

I can only think of two
    Mick and Padraig Lyons
    Kevin and Frank Foley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭paul71

whatnext wrote: »
    I can only think of two
    Mick and Padraig Lyons
    Kevin and Frank Foley

Did Terry Ferguson not also have a brother on the panel? I am not sure but something is niggling the back of my mind about it. A little further out Liam Harnan was a first cousin of the Lyons.

Also I think I remember Colm Coyles brother winning an All-Ireland Junior medal arround that time, but not sure if he made it to the Senior Panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

McEntees...Gerry & Andy ??

paul71 wrote: »
    Did Terry Ferguson not also have a brother on the panel? I am not sure but something is niggling the back of my mind about it. A little further out Liam Harnan was a first cousin of the Lyons.

Also I think I remember Colm Coyles brother winning an All-Ireland Junior medal arround that time, but not sure if he made it to the Senior Panel.

yeah im pretty sure terry had a brother on the panel i cant think of his name now either.

rpurfield wrote: »
    yeah im pretty sure terry had a brother on the panel i cant think of his name now either.

Yeah it is bothering me now, I know their father Des won an All-Ireland with Dublin but I don't think the brother was called Des too, or was he?

There's a good few Ferguson brothers isn't there? I seem to remember in the Chronicle, there was a tribute to Des Ferguson some years ago in Kells and he had 4 or 5 sons. Can't for the life of me remember their names apart from Terry.

Think I got it Barry Ferguson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

yes i remember barry starting a game as a half back in a leinster championship game in late eigties. other brothers conner pearcse and rory were fairly handy too

yes i remember barry starting a game as a half back in a leinster championship game in late eigties. other brothers conner pearcse and rory were fairly handy too

Quite a tradition in that Family, all good hurlers too, isn't their sister married to Sean Boylan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

Quite a tradition in that Family, all good hurlers too, isn't their sister married to Sean Boylan?

as far as i know sean went out with a ferguson but idont think that is his wife.knew terry from his building days around 1986 [when meath won there first leinster in years] and he is an absolute gent

i didnt think it was barry but i also think i am mixing up the fergusons with mick and padraig lyons in my head.i kind of remember someone doing goals for the club long after they were gone off the meath panel and the brother had retired but the more i think of it im convinced it was padraig lyons i have in my head in that regard not one of the fergusons.

rpurfield wrote: »
    i didnt think it was barry but i also think i am mixing up the fergusons with mick and padraig lyons in my head.i kind of remember someone doing goals for the club long after they were gone off the meath panel and the brother had retired but the more i think of it im convinced it was padraig lyons i have in my head in that regard not one of the fergusons.

You are right about Padraig. He played in goals for a few years for Summerhill and was quite handy but he would certainly have been one of the shorter Goalkeepers out there.

Congrats to St. Pats who are into the Hogan Cup Final after beating Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne 2-7 to 11 points. They'll play another St. Pats from Maghera in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Does anyone know the venue for Meaths league hurling final?

Not confirmed yet from what I can see. Wouldn't be surprised if its in Parnell Park like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Great win. Looks like they are playing better as a unit now. G Reilly and Newman could have a great year ahead of them. Winner takes all in Navan so let's hope for one more Div 2 standard performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

iDave wrote: »
    Great win. Looks like they are playing better as a unit now. G Reilly and Newman could have a great year ahead of them. Winner takes all in Navan so let's hope for one more Div 2 standard performance.

Fermanagh, if they play like the Cavan game, will try to stop Meath playing rather than play themselves.

They're a frustrating team to play. Against Cavan the referee was weak and sent 3 off in the last 5 minutes but they should of had a couple gone long before then for consistent fouling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

If Hammer Archer predicts another defeat for Meath they will have a great chance to beat Fermanagh ;)

• Advertisement

If Hammer Archer predicts another defeat for Meath they will have a great chance to beat Fermanagh ;)
    I won't be changing my routine any time soon :pac:

Good performance but Antrim were awful. Played well against the breeze to go into an unassailable lead at half time. It was no more than a training match after that.

Advertisement