Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/reilly-runs-riot-for-fastrising-royals-29166172.html

From the Indo today.

Personally I think we will be ok this year, there are two very strong teams in Leinster, Kildare and the Dubs, I would hope that we would be in a position to give them a good scare this year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

I think mick o'dowds tactics were clever, to get a good start it probably had Antrim doubting themselves. its great that the team and management have had such a good turn around, a lot of people were very negative after the Monaghan and Cavan games and I too doubted if we'd turn it around so now its great that we have such a good chance of promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Sister is getting married on Saturday so will be down to Navan on Sunday with the mother of all hangovers!
    Should be a decent crowd down from Fermanagh aswell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

RIP Ricky McDermott. Tragically young to be taken away from his family, friends and his club.
    http://hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=189250

Highlights from Sunday's game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Big one today lads. Should find out what this Meath team is made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Leaving for Navan in a few. Come on The Royal!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Deserved win. Excellent play from the Reilly's as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

So good win today lads! Strange to think of the pessimistic mood especially after the monaghan and cavan games, but it appears we have recovered somewhat and hopefully can keep it up come championship!

Do we also have a league final to look forward to as well?

Hibbeler wrote: »
    So good win today lads! Strange to think of the pessimistic mood especially after the monaghan and cavan games, but it appears we have recovered somewhat and hopefully can keep it up come championship!

Do we also have a league final to look forward to as well?
    We do. Against Monaghan in Croker in 2 weeks time. Would be nice to win it and banish memories of the Clones game. Thankfully other results went with us in recent weeks.
    Good win but we still have some obvious problems to deal with. Firstly, midfield again was a big problem. Fermanagh were well on top there throughout the game. And more worryingly, Fermanagh simply walked through our defence too many times. In the first half, Paddy made a sensational save. Second half, Fermanagh had three one on ones. One ended in a point, another resulted in a great last ditch tackle and the other resulted in a penalty which was thankfully saved.

Still a lot to do to before championship.

• Advertisement

The main issues IMO were in Midfield. Not enough balls won in the air. As well as that, Fermanagh often ran more than 20 yards unchallenged. Unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Would have to agree about the midfield but at least Newman is developing into a fine forward. Nice to feel good about Meath GAA again with 2 league finals to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

im going to sound picky but we had some serious amount of loose passes today and couldve won by a bit more i thought.great to come out on top in a match that counts and get some momentum.i think we all know we wont be on the fairgreen with sam in spetember but its nice to be going in a upward direction with no moaning about the manager etc at last.it was my first match this year with a new arival in the house last month keeping me in and i was highly impressed with mickey newman i hope weve found a new reliable freetaker in him.peader byrne has done some serious bulking up over the winter too

The Cavan lads have gone quiet again :)

Hopefully we can go on and win the league. Does todays result mean we are automatically promoted?

Yeah, we're promoted AFAIK. Peadar Byrne is a fantastic player, very solid. Paddy Gilsenan was dodgy enough I thought today, and same with number 8, forget who that was.

Peader really has a lot of weight on him alright.
    Newman has been quality for us in the league. Some of his points from dead balls were top class. Bray's first half point from way out on the right was brilliant as well. One thing I've noticed in the previous few games is that the players seem reluctant to pass to Eamonn Wallace when he's free. The lad is incredibly quick and several times today was in acres of space only for the player in possession to give it away or play a different pass.

Good to see a big crowd in Navan as well. The crowd for the Sligo game was depressing.
    Whatever happens in the championship, we simply have to stick with Mick O'Dowd for a few years. Since Boylan left, we haven't stuck with a manager for more than two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The Cavan lads have gone quiet again :)

Hopefully we can go on and win the league. Does todays result mean we are automatically promoted?

Haha, it's funny the amount of texts I got off my friends from Meath today.

Today doesn't change the hiding out young lads gave ye in Tailteann in March :D

I'm more worried about how our U21s play on Wednesday night than I am about our seniors.

We consolidated our place in Division 3. We had some good wins and poor losses but a far better season than the previous two where relegation was a threat in the last game.

And a bit of food for thought. Cavan had only two players over 26 in their panel today, and one of those was only playing because our goalkeeper broke his hand.

Lemlin wrote: »

I'm more worried about how our U21s play on Wednesday night than I am about our seniors.

We consolidated our place in Division 3. We had some good wins and poor losses but a far better season than the previous two where relegation was a threat in the last game.

And a bit of food for thought. Cavan had only two players over 26 in their panel today, and one of those was only playing because our goalkeeper broke his hand.

Read above "in March", we are hoping to be still playing competitive championship in late July. But then when you have nothing else to do but watch us on the tele, you can always comfort yourselves that you beat us in "March" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Read above "in March", we are hoping to be still playing competitive championship in late July. But then when you have nothing else to do but watch us on the tele, you can always comfort yourselves that you beat us in "March" :D

We'll always have March in Mordor :D:D Shows you where Meath football is at if ye are slagging Cavan not you're sky blue or white neighbours ;). We know where we are and the future's bright..

Tom Joad wrote: »
    We'll always have March in Mordor :D:D Shows you where Meath football is at if ye are slagging Cavan not you're sky blue or white neighbours ;). We know where we are and the future's bright..

Its so bright that you spend most of your time in the Meath thread :cool:

We do slag our Sky Blue and our White neighbours, thats an ongoing thing as even though we may be down, we have days when we punch above our weight. Not slagging you by the way, just feel sorry for you. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pegasusbridge

A game of two penalties really. Newman buried his chance while O'Rourke made a good double save for the Fermanagh save. I thought paddy Gilsenan made a big difference when he came on too. Lots of improvement still needed before the championship but great to get promoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

We do slag our Sky Blue and our White neighbours, thats an ongoing thing as even though we may be down, we have days when we punch above our weight. Not slagging you by the way, just feel sorry for you. :D

I actually just checked in to say congrats on promotion but took the bait instead :D.

No need to feel sorry for us - we have exciting times ahead but I suppose ye can watch us from the Palace with the rest of the Meath panel :cool:

It was you who brought up Cavan. It's something amazes me about Meath and their supporters.

Even with all your success through the 80s and 90s, ye still have an awful chip on your shoulders about Cavan.

Still, I suppose we did beat ye in the '52 All Ireland and ye haven't beaten us in the Championship since!

Nice of ye to feel sorry for us :D:D

I'll always have the memories of Cavan ending the great Boylan's reign in '05 and Geraghty walking through Clones in a huff in a hoodie after throwing a strop and refusing to get on the team bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The only thing about these bitter Cavan lads that surprises me is they haven't figured a way of bringing up the alleged stone throwing incident into the conversation. Anyway good luck in the U 21s, our neighbours in white will watch that with great interest ;) meanwhile we'll enjoy our 2 SENIOR league finals. Yes 2, we have something called a hurling team too :)

iDave wrote: »
    The only thing about these bitter Cavan lads that surprises me is they haven't figured a way of bringing up the alleged stone throwing incident into the conversation. Anyway good luck in the U 21s, our neighbours in white will watch that with great interest ;) meanwhile we'll enjoy our 2 SENIOR league finals. Yes 2, we have something called a hurling team too :)

Nothing bitter about us Cavan lads. A Meath lad mentioned Cavan so we're replying.

Nothing alleged about the stone throwing. I know plenty of Kells people and even they are ashamed of the individuals responsible for it.

If a Division 3 football final is something Meath are happy with now then ye have fallen a long way.

I'm more than happy to admit we hit rock bottom and are working our way back up.

That's why our young teams and their success is so important.

As for hurling, I'd struggle to watch even the All Ireland final in it so don't pay it much heed.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

And a bit of food for thought for you, Darren Fay had played in three senior All Ireland finals, winning 2 of them and won 3 Leinster titles by the time he was 26, you'd wanna tell this so called 'golden generation' of yours to get a move on :cool:

Oh and they threw him a few all stars for the craic too

royaler83 wrote: »
    And a bit of food for thought for you, Darren Fay had played in three senior All Ireland finals, winning 2 of them and won 3 Leinster titles by the time he was 26, you'd wanna tell this so called 'golden generation' of yours to get a move on :cool:

Oh and they threw him a few all stars for the craic too

Lads like 20 year old Killian Clarke and Jack Brady have six years to go so :D

Of course, Jack already has a minor Ulster medal, a Sigerson Cup medal, two Ulster U21 medals and has played in an All Ireland final.

It'll be interesting to see what else he has by 26 after landing that lot in three years. And his U21 season this year will hopefully go on a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Lads like 20 year old Killian Clarke and Jack Brady have six years to go so :D

Of course, Jack already has a minor Ulster medal, a Sigerson Cup medal, two Ulster U21 medals and has played in an All Ireland final.

It'll be interesting to see what else he has by 26 after landing that lot in three years. And his U21 season this year will hopefully go on a bit longer.

How often do successful underage teams fail to achieve success at senior level, happens alot of counties.
    Joking aside, wouldnt mind seein cavan competing in ulster but really can't see it. The whole cavan gaels thing down the last 10 years was a joke, every decent player and their dog transferred to them, they were winning championships for fun without a challenge

It was you who brought up Cavan. It's something amazes me about Meath and their supporters.

Even with all your success through the 80s and 90s, ye still have an awful chip on your shoulders about Cavan.

Still, I suppose we did beat ye in the '52 All Ireland and ye haven't beaten us in the Championship since!

Nice of ye to feel sorry for us :D:D

I'll always have the memories of Cavan ending the great Boylan's reign in '05 and Geraghty walking through Clones in a huff in a hoodie after throwing a strop and refusing to get on the team bus.
    Nothing bitter about us Cavan lads. A Meath lad mentioned Cavan so we're replying.

Nothing alleged about the stone throwing. I know plenty of Kells people and even they are ashamed of the individuals responsible for it.

If a Division 3 football final is something Meath are happy with now then ye have fallen a long way.

I'm more than happy to admit we hit rock bottom and are working our way back up.

That's why our young teams and their success is so important.

As for hurling, I'd struggle to watch even the All Ireland final in it so don't pay it much heed.

Jesus, seriously, you are making a show of yerself, 52 Bloody hell, (We won in 54 by the way as well, we also beat you in 49) is it really that long? youse lot fell a long time ago. As for Kells, that was nearly 16 years ago, the last time you won anything at senior level, OMG. Has Meath football really sunk that low that now we are (sorry were) competing in Division 3 against the likes of yourselves :eek:

Just for the record since your last AI win in 52, we have won 6 (six) All Ireland senior titles and being runners up in 5 (five) Thats 11 (Eleven All Ireland Senior finals we have competed in since Cavan last on theirs)

14 Leinster Senior Football titles, (last one was just over 2 years ago) and 4 National League titles

3 All ireland Minor titles and 1 u21 All Ireland and 3 All Ireland Juniors

We also were a part of the GAA equivilent of Istanbul in 1991, the greatest comeback in GAA history, plus we won an unique Centenary Cup in 1994

Still I suppose you still have 52 :D

• Advertisement

Jesus, seriously, you are making a show of yerself, 52 Bloody hell, (We won in 54 by the way as well, we also beat you in 49) is it really that long? youse lot fell a long time ago. As for Kells, that was nearly 16 years ago, the last time you won anything at senior level, OMG. Has Meath football really sunk that low that now we are (sorry were) competing in Division 3 against the likes of yourselves :eek:

Just for the record since your last AI win in 52, we have won 6 (six) All Ireland senior titles and being runners up in 5 (five) Thats 11 (Eleven All Ireland Senior finals we have competed in since Cavan last on theirs)

14 Leinster Senior Football titles, (last one was just over 2 years ago) and 4 National League titles

3 All ireland Minor titles and 1 u21 All Ireland and 3 All Ireland Juniors

We also were a part of the GAA equivilent of Istanbul in 1991, the greatest comeback in GAA history, plus we won an unique Centenary Cup in 1994

Still I suppose you still have 52 :D

And, like I said, for all that success ye still have a big chip on your shoulder about Cavan.

Why else did you choose to mention Cavan of all the other Division 3 teams?

And through all of the above, ye still haven't beaten Cavan in championship football since '49 :D

Oh, and our titles may have been decades ago, but at least we won them all fair and square. There's no throw like the Joe throw!

Advertisement