Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Thats a particularly stupid arguement, for us to have met you, (before the back door system that is) you would have needed to win the Ulster Championship (Something you have a problem doing) and being on the same side of the draw in the semi finals. You have only won Ulster 7 times since 52, (1954, 1955, 1962, 1964, 1967, 1969, 1997)
    In both 54 and 67 we won the All Ireland, you were beat in the semi's. And in 64 we were both beat in the sf.
    We won Leinster 14 times since 52, in 1954 1964 1966 1967 1970 1986 1987 1988 1990 1991 1996 1999 2001 2010
    So if you had been good enough there was a chance you could have met us, but I suppose the Kilkenny footballers could use the same analogy as well and claim that we have not beat them in the championship in the last few years as well. P.S. I am glad you were happy to consolidate your position in Division three. (As you stated in your earlier post)
    I think its you that has the chip on his shoulder, probably why so many Meath people rang you today, they know it gets under your skin. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Thats a particularly stupid arguement, for us to have met you, (before the back door system that is) you would have needed to win the Ulster Championship (Something you have a problem doing) and being on the same side of the draw in the semi finals. You have only won Ulster 7 times since 52, (1954, 1955, 1962, 1964, 1967, 1969, 1997)
    In both 54 and 67 we won the All Ireland, you were beat in the semi's. And in 64 we were both beat in the sf.
    We won Leinster 14 times since 52, in 1954 1964 1966 1967 1970 1986 1987 1988 1990 1991 1996 1999 2001 2010
    So if you had been good enough there was a chance you could have met us, but I suppose the Kilkenny footballers could use the same analogy as well and claim that we have not beat them in the championship in the last few years as well. P.S. I am glad you were happy to consolidate your position in Division three. (As you stated in your earlier post)
    I think its you that has the chip on his shoulder, probably why so many Meath people rang you today, they know it gets under your skin. :cool:

We did meet ye in '05 in Clones and we beat ye. You had your chance then yet seem to have omitted that from all your stats.

As for your argument re Kilkenny footballers, have they played Meath in the last decade in the Championship? No they haven't so a bit of a null point there.

So why did you bring up Cavan then of all Division 3 teams?

Why did people from Kells throw stones at Cavan cars? I never heard of ye doing it to Tyrone or Donegal supporters when they passed through.

Cavan supporters certainly didn't do it in '05 when ye travelled back from Clones.

No-one is debating that Meath have been more successful than Cavan. Of course they have.

What I am saying is that I'm amazed ye are even bothered taking notice of Cavan.

As I said, we are working our way up from rock bottom and, to be honest, I'd see it as going well considering the impact of our underage teams.

But that Meath now seen Cavan as a team worth comparing yourselves to is a sign of how far ye have regressed.

Other than the minors last year too, I don't remember any sign of players for the future coming through either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

royaler83 wrote: »
    How often do successful underage teams fail to achieve success at senior level, happens alot of counties.
    Joking aside, wouldnt mind seein cavan competing in ulster but really can't see it. The whole cavan gaels thing down the last 10 years was a joke, every decent player and their dog transferred to them, they were winning championships for fun without a challenge

Well said on both counts- our hope in Cavan is that a period of sustained success and Under 21 level (4 finals in a row, with 2 out of 3 victories) will mean more but you are right their are no guarantees.

Re the Gaels thing - it was a joke and is one thing that needs to be sorted out if Cavan football is serious about getting back to a decent level but there is no sign of the county board sorting that.

I'm genuinely happy for Meath that they got out of division 3 - ye simply shouldn't be operating at that level and it was a massive achievement to turn around such a bad start - were some people here talking about relegation to Division 4.

Coming from the Cavan/Meath border I've always had a (very) grudging but healthy respect for Meath football - it's hard not to to be honest - we do enjoy beating ye when we get the chance though and actually have a fairly decent record against ye.

I enjoy the bit of banter with Meath fans but can some people here chill the f*ck out and lets have a bit of slagging without dragging up boulders in Kells 16 years ago - its a bit tedious now.

Last words from me on this - good luck to Meath, I hope ye do well this year (not too well though obviously :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Great to see such a turn around from the start of the league, I'm genuinely surprised we managed promotion after the first two games and huge credit must be given to the players for turning it around and bringing back a positive attitude, I was very harsh on them after the first two games and things have taken a great change for the positive since then, and credit must go to the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Well said on both counts- our hope in Cavan is that a period of sustained success and Under 21 level (4 finals in a row, with 2 out of 3 victories) will mean more but you are right their are no guarantees.

Re the Gaels thing - it was a joke and is one thing that needs to be sorted out if Cavan football is serious about getting back to a decent level but there is no sign of the county board sorting that.

I'm genuinely happy for Meath that they got out of division 3 - ye simply shouldn't be operating at that level and it was a massive achievement to turn around such a bad start - were some people here talking about relegation to Division 4.

Coming from the Cavan/Meath border I've always had a (very) grudging but healthy respect for Meath football - it's hard not to to be honest - we do enjoy beating ye when we get the chance though and actually have a fairly decent record against ye.

I enjoy the bit of banter with Meath fans but can some people here chill the f*ck out and lets have a bit of slagging without dragging up boulders in Kells 16 years ago - its a bit tedious now.

Last words from me on this - good luck to Meath, I hope ye do well this year (not too well though obviously :D)

Mirror image of the above but the other way around :D I have many good friends that played Senior for Cavan and one of them is Godfather to my eldest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Any idea on ticket prices for the finals? I would presume €15 would be about right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Mirror image of the above but the other way around :D I have many good friends that played Senior for Cavan and one of them is Godfather to my eldest.

same with me ...well an uncle of my dads was one of the greatest footballers to play for Cavan and in fact any county team.
    just some people take the rivalry to very extreme lengths and its stupid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Any idea on ticket prices for the finals? I would presume €15 would be about right
    Not too sure on prices yet but Season Ticket holders from any county get into the League finals for free. If you can find one who doesn't want to go that day (and to be honest, not many neutrals will want to see a Limerick - Offaly and Monaghan - Meath double bill) then happy days.

Meath hurlers play their Division 2B final against London in Newbridge this coming Sunday at 1pm. Try get out and support them lads.

The footballers' final against Monaghan is on Saturday April 27th in Croke Park at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

while I love getting to Crokers to see Meath, anytime Ive been there before for league finals in recent (ish!) years the atmosphere has been awful. I would say you could nearly have the four games together this weekend really. I think it'be a low crowd and thin atmosphere for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

croker needs a crowd for atmosphere!

and got promoted.. Meath now up to DIV 2......... wonders never cease!

snowgal wrote: »
    while I love getting to Crokers to see Meath, anytime Ive been there before for league finals in recent (ish!) years the atmosphere has been awful. I would say you could nearly have the four games together this weekend really. I think it'be a low crowd and thin atmosphere for this.
    The place will be dead without a doubt. But hopefully it gives a chance for some of the newer players (Wallace, Young, Larkin etc.) to get a runout at Croker. I know Éamonn Wallace has never played for Meath in Croke Park (he was on the minor panel early last year but pulled out before the championship to concentrate on athletics) and it'd be good to give these players an experience of playing there before the championship. I'd hope we can gain some sort of revenge on Monaghan for the massacre in Clones, but a decent performance on the day and I'll be happy.

First round of the championship this weekend. Who does everyone think will stand out?
    Friday 12 April

Hoganstand.com SFC
    Simonstown v Dunshaughlin 20:00 Páirc Tailteann Patrick Nelis

Meade Potato IFC
    St Ultan's v St Michael's 20.15 Carnaross Paul Mooney

Teach Na Teamhrach JFC
    Cortown v St Brigid's 19:30 Moynlaty Ciaran Flynn

Saturday 13 April

Hoganstand.com SFC
    St Patrick's v Donaghmore/Ashbourne 18:00 Páirc Tailteann David Coldrick

Meade Potato IFC
    Clann na nGael v Carnaross 18:00 Moylagh Gerry Skelly

Teach Na Teamhrach JFC
    Clonard v Dunshaughlin 18:00 Boardsmill Tom Lorton
    Kilbride v Drumconrath 18:00 Seneschalstown Eamonn Barry

Sunday 14 April

Hoganstand.com SFC
    Duleek-Bellewstown v Seneschalstown 14:30 Walterstown Joey Curley
    Rathkenny v Oldcastle 17:30 Kilmainhamwood Colm Mc Manus
    Na Fianna v St Peter's, Dunboyne 13:00 Trim Seamus O Connor
    Nobber v Walterstown 14.00 Rathkenny Cormac Reilly
    Skryne v Summerhill 15.00 Bohermeen Richard Morris

Meade Potato IFC
    Syddan v Dunderry 15:00 Kilberry Donal Smyth
    St Colmcille's v Gaeil Colmcille 18:00 Simonstown Jack Gordon
    Castletown v Ratoath 14:00 Skryne John O Byrne

Teach Na Teamhrach JFC
    Bective v Duleek-Bellewstown 16:00 Walterstown Pauric Coyle
    St Peter's, Dunboyne v Kilmainhamwood 14:30 Trim Glenn Flanagan
    Curraha v Skryne 19.00 Ashbourne John Farrelly
    Summerhill v Meath Hill 16.30 Bohermeen Des Smith

Seamus Connolly Catering JFC B
    Moynalty v Slane 14:30 Drumconrath Peter O Halloran
    St Paul's v Ratoath 15:30 Skryne Declan Brown
    Gaeil Colmcille v St Mary's 19:30 Simonstown Ollie Cassidy
    Walterstown v St Patrick's 17.30 Ashbourne Joe Synnott
    The county board have cut admission prices to just €5 for the first round fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Cut? What price were they to begin with?

I'd just assumed all stand-alone county club matches that weren't finals were 5 Euro. Pretty crazy stuff that it took them until 2013 to change the price to that, and only for the first round at that.

Aye it seems the horse has long gone..so they bolted the stable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

€5 in isnt bad at all, theyre giving each club something like 38 passes to cover players management club officials and if any one of them show up without one they pay in! weve a tough start playing donaghmore/ashbourne especially in navan, i cant ever remember pats playing well in navan even winning the inter final in 2000 we were awful and fell over the line!!!!

Best of luck to St. Pat's (the school that is rpurfield ;)) today. They're up against Maghera in the All Ireland final.
    Also to the hurlers tomorrow. We really need to be playing a higher standard of hurling if we're going to improve. I think we could actually be competitive in 2A if we were to win. It's not going to be easy though. By all accounts, the 9 point win over London was a bit flattering given the fact that London were leading with 25 minutes to go. Having said that, they really deserve to go up. They've racked up a massive 9-90 (highest scorers in all 6 divisions) in just 5 games during the league and had a points difference of +46.

Best of luck to St. Pat's (the school that is rpurfield ;)) today. They're up against Maghera in the All Ireland final.
    Also to the hurlers tomorrow. We really need to be playing a higher standard of hurling if we're going to improve. I think we could actually be competitive in 2A if we were to win. It's not going to be easy though. By all accounts, the 9 point win over London was a bit flattering given the fact that London were leading with 25 minutes to go. Having said that, they really deserve to go up. They've racked up a massive 9-90 (highest scorers in all 6 divisions) in just 5 games during the league and had a points difference of +46.

we didnt need the luck last night!!i was debating going to the anti household tax march in dublin or going to navan for the game and i ended up doing neither more annoyed at missing the game mind you.by all accounts the landy brothers had cracking games thank god weve some young lads stepping up daithi whyte cormac sullivan and the rest wont be around forever!!

i see na fianna beat dunboyne and dunsaughlin had a good win over simonstown on friday wouldnt have expected either of them results either.hard luck on the hurlers today too i dunno how it went i just got the score.

Good result for Ratoath, beating last years Intermediate semi finalists Castletown 3-9 to 3-5. Looks good for the future. I'd hope we can make it to senior in a few years at least and give this years championship a good go.

I was actually at the hurling final and it was extremely disappointing. Played with the winds at our backs in the first half and had some dreadful wides and missed two great goal chances. Went in a point down and London just pulled away in the second half. They were 9 points ahead at one stage before they took their foot off the gas in the final 10 minutes. Could have gotten the draw at the end though. Seemed to be a stonewall penalty not given with a couple of minutes left.

I think it's seriously unfair that a team who has lost a single game in the league in the last two years aren't promoted. There seems to be no advantage to doing well in the league the way it is. The top team should be rewarded with promotion with a playoff between the second placed team and the second from bottom team in the higher league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Shame about the hurlers but sure the cockneys have a pick of 10 million.

• Advertisement

Good result for Ratoath, beating last years Intermediate semi finalists Castletown 3-9 to 3-5. Looks good for the future. I'd hope we can make it to senior in a few years at least and give this years championship a good go.

I was actually at the hurling final and it was extremely disappointing. Played with the winds at our backs in the first half and had some dreadful wides and missed two great goal chances. Went in a point down and London just pulled away in the second half. They were 9 points ahead at one stage before they took their foot off the gas in the final 10 minutes. Could have gotten the draw at the end though. Seemed to be a stonewall penalty not given with a couple of minutes left.

I think it's seriously unfair that a team who has lost a single game in the league in the last two years aren't promoted. There seems to be no advantage to doing well in the league the way it is. The top team should be rewarded with promotion with a playoff between the second placed team and the second from bottom team in the higher league.

i wont claim to know how the hurling league works but you only have to look at dublin winning the 1b last week and then going into a semi final against tipp.same with the football mayo couldve been relegated last week but instead were potentially two games away from being division 1 champions despite having a far worse record than dublin.same with leaving the div 2,3,4 finals for so long in both codes it should be two teams up two down with the top team getting the trophy and free up the extra few weeks for club football

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Long shot here but does anyone know where'd I'd get footage of the 1999 Leinster final against Dublin and the 2001 Leinster final against Dublin, searched youtube but nothing there :(

royaler83 wrote: »
    Long shot here but does anyone know where'd I'd get footage of the 1999 Leinster final against Dublin and the 2001 Leinster final against Dublin, searched youtube but nothing there :(
    An email to RTE might be an idea.
    Another could be to ask on the Meath Hoganstand forum. It's fairly busy there and you may find someone who has a copy stuck away somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Question: has it been confirmed how many teams go through to the knockout stages for the intermediate championship this year? Will it be 3 from each group or 2 like last year?

Read on Hoganstand that the top 3 from group A and top 2 from groups B and C go straight into the quarter finals. 3rd place in B and C go into a playoff for the final quarter final place.

What on Earth happened to the minors today? 3-8 to 2-4 up with 20 minutes left and end up losing 6-10 to 3-8. That's some capitulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

they didn't know what hit them when offaly played football i hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Offaly beat Meath last year in the first round of the minor too. It didn't do us much good, and it didn't do Meath much harm!
    (Edited to add: I made that bit above up. And worse of all is I dunno how I thought that!)
    From an Offaly point of view you'd have to be happy with the away win, and be hoping to build on it. We have a bit of ground to make up to get back to where we would aspire to be.

shocking result for the minors really they were out scored4-6 to no score in the last 20 minutes according to hoganstand.is there many repeat minors this year or is it a whole new crop?

Bizzum wrote: »
    Offaly beat Meath last year in the first round of the minor too. It didn't do us much good, and it didn't do Meath much harm!
    From an Offaly point of view you'd have to be happy with the away win, and be hoping to build on it. We have a bit of ground to make up to get back to where we would aspire to be.
    No ye didnt. We hammered Offaly last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

No ye didnt. We hammered Offaly last year.

You're right. 3-10 to 1-8. I really dunno what I was thinking about. I must be loosing it. I still can't figure how I came to that conclusion. I thought we met in a pre lim round. Still I dunno, maybe I mixed it up with U21. Who knows.
    Sorry about that terrible misinformation.

Advertisement