Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

so summerhill were bet by rathkenny today with donal curtis having another great game will he be back on the meath panel now!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

rpurfield wrote: »
    so summerhill were bet by rathkenny today with donal curtis having another great game will he be back on the meath panel now!!!
    Christ. Is he in his 40s by now? Great for him to still be playing at such a high level. Conor Martin (AI winning goalkeeper from 1996) is still playing for St. Paul's and had a very decent game in their first Junior B game last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Shame about the minors the last day, they seemed to be cruising for most of the match until offaly moved up a gear and capitalised on a couple of errors that lead to goals. I expect the team to bounce back when they play longford via the backdoor!

I think Donal Curtis is managing or someway involved with Castletown this season in addition to playing for Rathkenny. I know he did a bit with the Syddan lads last year when they were under Eamon O Brien

read in a report somewhere that donal is 40 alright.that st pauls team has a core of shall we say experienced ex inter county players anthony moyles is back with them and another three or four i cant think at the moment of who.its actually a decent junior b team in fairness they should go well this year

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

No ye didnt. We hammered Offaly last year.

and they hammer meath this year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

and they hammer meath this year :D

Back under your bridge

maco12 wrote: »
    kildare said that last year..and whoops!..

?? Kildare said what last year?

they were gonna beat the lot!...............and got mugged along the way

I know your a new user but can you stop what your doing please your in your 40s start acting like it

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

Donal has given great service to Meath and his local club, and still has alot to offer, either side of the sideline, and 20 mins to go, Meath minors semmed to just collapse, 4-06 without reply, a very bad day at the office..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Dark-Knight Banned from GAA forum for Backseat Modding & Personal Abuse.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the minor result was just one of those days. The Pat's lads more than likely haven't trained much with the rest of the team before last week so that's bound to have had an effect. Still no excuse for conceding that amount in the last 20 minutes though. Hopefully they can redeem themselves in part against Longford.

I hear Seamus Kenny could make an appearance on Saturday after nearly a year out through injury. Good to see him back if that's the case. Curran and Keoghan are definitely out for Saturday though.

its a shame Shane o Rourke is still missing, alot of potential, and wont be easy for Meath , still Div 2 beckons!,,going in right direction!!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Team for Sunday;
    Meath (v Monaghan) - Paddy O'Rourke; Eoghan Harrington, Bryan Menton, Caolan Young; Ciaran Lenehan, Kevin Reilly, Davy Dalton; Brian Meade, Conor Gillespie; Paddy Gilsenan, Graham Reilly, Peadar Byrne; Eamonn Wallace, Stephen Bray, Michael Newman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Decent starting XV. Shame Keoghans exams clash. Never thought I'd be this excited about a Div 3 final

Nice to get a run out in Croker without any real pressure. A good few of the starting 15 won't have played for Meath at HQ. I think Wallace's speed could be a real asset.
    I won't be massively disappointed if we lose but I'd like the lads to gain some revenge for Clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

I think its important that not only Meath play well on Saturday but that they win. A win against Monaghan after the debacle in Clones will really lift the players and give them the belief that they have made great progress so far and still have more in the tank for the championship.
    MOD has named his strongest possible team based on league form so its fairly obvious that they are going out to win this. A defeat here and some of the lads could drop there heads.
    A winning habit in Croke Park is always a good thing to have. Midfield once again is the worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

PaddyCar wrote: »
    A winning habit in Croke Park is always a good thing to have.
    :D:D:D

Not really bothered about the result to be honest. Good luck to Monaghan but a division 3 title loss ain't gonna lose me any sleep.
    I just hope we don't reproduce some of those wides and shots dropping into the keeper in the championship. We were well on top at the start of the second half and should have been miles ahead but for some terrible shooting.
    Nothing wrong with taking our goal chances though. Wallace's pass for the first was beautiful and it'll take some goal to better Davy Dalton's all year.

Not really bothered about the result to be honest. Good luck to Monaghan but a division 3 title loss ain't gonna lose me any sleep.
    I just hope we don't reproduce some of those wides and shots dropping into the keeper in the championship. We were well on top at the start of the second half and should have been miles ahead but for some terrible shooting.
    Nothing wrong with taking our goal chances though. Wallace's pass for the first was beautiful and it'll take some goal to better Davy Dalton's all year.

i wasnt bothered myself until the end when some of the monaghan crowd were oléing at the keep ball and the blood fairly rose!!we really need to sort out our defence maybe it was because menton moved to half back and keoghan wasnt available but we creaked at the back a lot yesterday to me menton has to be full back no debate, hes far better than kev reilly in there.young done well though and id be fairly happy with him menton and keoghan as the full back line.the half back line is a mixed pot for me too, i think when we are under pressure they let teams run through far too easily, although dalton and lenehan are an asset going forward.

midfield done better than expected for me too, i thought if the half backs and forwards were more alert to breaking ball we wouldve completly dominated midfield.i think with a couple more finds in terms of new players we will make some decent progress undr mick odowd

Theres a long way to go to match thelikes of Dublin though,m still div 2 next year will do no harm,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Meath manager Mick O'Dowd has dropped a number of prominent players from the panel ahead of the forthcoming Leinster SFC game against Longford or Wicklow on Saturday 15th June.
    O'Dowd and the selectors finalised the panel after Saturday's NFL Div 3 final against Monaghan at Croke Park.
    Gone from the panel are Cian Ward, Jamie Queeney, Shane McAnarney, Cormac Rowe, Darragh McNamara, David Lyons and Stephen Crosby.
    Meath will tackle Cavan in a SFC Challenge at St Colmcille's on Friday night at 7.30.

Janey Mack!!!!! Whats the Queeney story.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

snowgal wrote: »
    Meath manager Mick O'Dowd has dropped a number of prominent players from the panel ahead of the forthcoming Leinster SFC game against Longford or Wicklow on Saturday 15th June.
    O'Dowd and the selectors finalised the panel after Saturday's NFL Div 3 final against Monaghan at Croke Park.
    Gone from the panel are Cian Ward, Jamie Queeney, Shane McAnarney, Cormac Rowe, Darragh McNamara, David Lyons and Stephen Crosby.
    Meath will tackle Cavan in a SFC Challenge at St Colmcille's on Friday night at 7.30..

Is Wardie injuried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

nope!

Hmm, interesting!

loss of form?

loss of form?
    Only thing I can think of. Cian Ward is one of my favourite Meath players but he is infuriatingly inconsistent in a Meath jersey yet can be simply unplayable for Wolfe Tones. For every great game he has (like Louth in '11, Dublin in '07) he'll have a terrible one not long after. His inconsistency also extends to free taking. I remember him sticking a free from close to the 65 over the bar in a league game against Kildare a few years back, yet he can miss frees from 20m out and straight in front of the posts on another day. Hopefully this'll push him to improve to be the player he certainly can be.

I think Jamie Queeney can feel a little hard done by as he wasn't really given much of a chance this year. He can also be a great player to bring off the bench (like Kildare last year and Mayo in 09).

On a related note, can anyone tell me who the second choice keeper is now that Lyons is gone? I always thought Lyons was just behind Paddy given that he made an appearance in the O'Byrne Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Meath will tackle Cavan in a SFC Challenge at St Colmcille's on Friday night at 7.30.

Janey Mack!!!!! Whats the Queeney story.....

What's the craic with McAnarney being dropped? Was he not one of your better backs last year?

i always thought Queeney made a great impact sub, and listening to radio, alot of questions asked about the fitness of players...

Lemlin wrote: »
    What's the craic with McAnarney being dropped? Was he not one of your better backs last year?
    Player of the year in 2011 as far as I remember. He did regress a bit last year and has been injured a fair bit this year. Hopefully this doesn't mean any of the above players are gone completely and if they put in the performances with their clubs, they'll be back on the panel.

What are people's opinions on David Geaney - the ex Kerry player playing with Dunboyne? He seems to be doing brilliantly with them at the moment? If he was willing to play for Meath, would he be welcomed?

Minor footballers are aiming to get back on track against Longford this evening. Minor hurlers go up against Laois in the Leinster quarter final this Saturday after beating Westmeath last weekend.

• Advertisement

Id be surprised if Ward wasnt brought back into the squad during summer...maybe its the kick he needed!

Advertisement