Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

maco12 wrote: »
    Id be surprised if Ward wasnt brought back into the squad during summer...maybe its the kick he needed!

I would've agreed in recent years but I think the way it is with mick O'Dowd, if your out then theres not much chance of getting back in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

meath12 wrote: »
    I would've agreed in recent years but I think the way it is with mick O'Dowd, if your out then theres not much chance of getting back in.

I'd hope that's not the case. I'm glad that Mick O'Dowd is cutting players who he feels aren't performing, no matter who they are, but I'd like to think that improved performances from these players with their clubs would mean they're reconsidered.

Minors through to the Leinster quarter final after beating Longford 1-17 to 2-10.

Michael Collins dropped from the championship refereeing panel.
    Hallelujah!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

It looks like Pairc Tailteann refurbishment is on hold after the Co Board admitted they are almost 100k more in debt, and Croke park bosses have told them, no more money till they sort the debt out, how did the CO BOARD get the figures wrong?

Minors beat Laois in the Leinster quarter final by 2-13 to 9 points. Daire Rowe and Joey Wallace got the goals. Joey Wallace looks set to follow his older brother Eamonn into the senior panel over the next few years. Brilliant player.
    They play Westmeath in the semi final.

Slightly worryingly, Offaly (who had that comeback against us in the first round) were hockeyed by Kildare 3-11 to 5 points. Very lucky in that we're separate from them and Dublin for the third season running.

• Advertisement

...and the hurlers beat Kildare 22 points to 1-16 after extra time to make it to the Christy Ring semi final. They'll be at home in that semi final as well. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Minors beat Laois in the Leinster quarter final by 2-13 to 9 points. Daire Rowe and Joey Wallace got the goals. Joey Wallace looks set to follow his older brother Eamonn into the senior panel over the next few years. Brilliant player.
    They play Westmeath in the semi final.

Slightly worryingly, Offaly (who had that comeback against us in the first round) were hockeyed by Kildare 3-11 to 5 points. Very lucky in that we're separate from them and Dublin for the third season running.

Is Joey Wallace any good at the athletics as well do you know? I wouldn't read into it too much. We've a great chance to make 3 Leinster finals and 3 all-ireland quarter finals in a row. Lost to Tipp narrowly 2 years ago and Dublin twice last year who weren't going to be stopped. If we make the Leinster final and put up a good show I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

...and the hurlers beat Kildare 22 points to 1-16 after extra time to make it to the Christy Ring semi final. They'll be at home in that semi final as well. Happy days.

YES!!! Been following the hurlers this year, desperately unlucky in the league but please God we'll make the Ring final.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Is Joey Wallace any good at the athletics as well do you know? I wouldn't read into it too much. We've a great chance to make 3 Leinster finals and 3 all-ireland quarter finals in a row. Lost to Tipp narrowly 2 years ago and Dublin twice last year who weren't going to be stopped. If we make the Leinster final and put up a good show I'll be happy.
    Joey's pretty decent at the athletics as well but don't think he's as quick as Eamonn. Brilliant chance again as if we beat Westmeath in July we're guaranteed to be in the All Ireland quarter final no matter how the final goes (ridiculous system but I'm not complaining).

The seniors beat Louth 1-13 to 1-10 in a challenge match at the opening of Trim's new grounds. Poor enough first half playing with a strong breeze but did pretty well in the second. Andrew Tormey and Graham Reilly were best in my view. Caoimhin King was back in the team and seems to have lost a massive amount of weight since he played against Longford in the O'Byrne Cup. Seamus Kenny was pretty decent too.

Hurlers probably have their best ever chance of making the Christy Ring Cup final. They'll play Down at home (probably in Trim) next weekend with the winner playing either Kerry or Kildare (both beatable) in the final.
    Really does make a mockery of the league format to be honest. Of the three top teams in 2B this season, one is in the Liam McCarthy, and two are in the Ring semi finals (both having beaten 2A teams to get there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Presume it's in reference to his nickname 'Biggie'.

Hurlers were very unlucky not to get the job done yesterday. Fantastic game though.

As for the footballers, it's another trip to Aughrim. Happier about that as Longford in Pearse Park would be a bit of an unknown while we just played in Aughrim a few months back. Confident of getting a win which could mean another go at Louth if they get past Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Hurlers were very unlucky not to get the job done yesterday. Fantastic game though.

As for the footballers, it's another trip to Aughrim. Happier about that as Longford in Pearse Park would be a bit of an unknown while we just played in Aughrim a few months back. Confident of getting a win which could mean another go at Louth if they get past Wexford.

aughrim wont be easy either hammer they are always up for it in the championship.how will it be for tickets down there do ye reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Most of us would of prefered if it was Wicklow than Longford at the start of the year. Already beat them in Aughrim this year and in the championship last year. A win could set up up with a Louth semi and all the baggage that goes with that.
    Where will the hurling replay be held?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

I don't know how the rest of ye feel but i think i would rather we avoided louth in the semi final (assuming of course we beat wicklow and they beat wexford). Louth would be well up for it and our teem have had an up and down season so far so i would worry that louth could win. Plus I think it would be better for both counties to avoid all the guff (back to the scene of the crime etc.)

The hurling replay is in Newry next Saturday. Hopefully they can finish the job. When Micky Burke came on to mark their giant of a full forward, we were the better team and probably should have won it.

Aughrim certainly won't be easy at all and I wasn't for a second suggesting it would be, it's just I'd prefer Wicklow (who we've played twice in the last year) in Aughrim to Longford in Pearse Park where I can't remember us ever playing. Say there'll be a decent crowd from both teams. Getting into the place may be tough as it's sort of in the middle of nowhere.

If we did happen to win, I'm not really gone on either team in the other quarter final. We've had serious problems putting in a performance against Louth (2011 aside) and sure we all know how Wexford do against us in the championship.
    But we'll worry about that if we're good enough to get by Wicklow.

I stand corrected, the Christy Ring Semi Final replay is actually in Ballycran for some strange reason. Ballycran GAA is way up on Strangford Lough meaning it's over two hours from most parts of Meath (and around 3 hours from some parts).

i think i remember going down to play longford in 95 in longford and giving them a good going over im not fully sure if it was 95 though i cant find anything on google to confirm it either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

rpurfield wrote: »
    i think i remember going down to play longford in 95 in longford and giving them a good going over im not fully sure if it was 95 though i cant find anything on google to confirm it either!!

In 95 we stuffed Wicklow in Portlaois. Scored 2 goals in first 5 mins if that's what your thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

rpurfield wrote: »

I def remember going to pearse park and think it was 1995. Played wicklow too possibly the same year, stafford got a goal or two that day but can't remember anything from the longford game

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Royaler78

In 1995 we beat Offaly in Navan. There was an unmerciful hail shower in 1st half. O'Rourke came off the bench to score a late goal to clinch it. We played Wicklow in Portlaoise - 100%. I can't ever remember going to Longford for a championship match tbh.

wicklow shouldnt be a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

maco12 wrote: »
    wicklow shouldnt be a problem!

That's what Longford probably thought! In fairness, there were a good few shocks at the weekend and I think it would be very foolish of Meath to take Wicklow lightly, particularly if the game is in Aughrim.

Royaler78 wrote: »
    In 1995 we beat Offaly in Navan. There was an unmerciful hail shower in 1st half. O'Rourke came off the bench to score a late goal to clinch it. We played Wicklow in Portlaoise - 100%. I can't ever remember going to Longford for a championship match tbh.

i remember that shower of rain alright we were on the terrace got soaked out of it probably as bad as the mullingar flood a couple of years back!!and i remember wicklow too because it left us flying going into the leinster final and we all know what happened then.i can swear to being at a championship game in longford im just not sure on the year.

They wont take wicklow lightly, but i didnt think Louth would win so easy in Portlaoise!

O'Mahony's look like the team to beat yet again in the Senior. Donaghmore/Ash seem to have regressed this year. They'll struggle to make the last 8 now. Wolfe Tones were hammered by Simonstown tonight as well. Think they'll walk to the title again.
    Ratoath still looking good in the Intermediate. From seeing a few games in Intermediate this year, it seems to me that the difference in quality between it and the better teams in Junior A is negligible. Ballinlough were terrible against Ratoath today. Their team was pretty much Peader Byrne and 14 mediocre players by the looks of it. And as far as I remember, they were Senior up to a few years ago.

And I see Shane O'Rourke returned for Simonstown tonight. I really hope he can get back to his best. He'd be a massive addition to midfield.

just back to that pearse park debate, i held my breath and logged into hoganstand to see if anyone there remembered it and another person over there had it down as 95 as well, we played offaly in navan in the first round, longford away in the 1/4 wicklow in portlaoise in the semi and then well i forget the rest ;)

great to see shane orourke back in action last night, i really hope hes over the worst of it all now.i didnt make the pats games last night due to work but they were in it till the last ten of so apparently, ive to get a match report of my dad at some stage today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

O'Mahony's look like the team to beat yet again in the Senior. Donaghmore/Ash seem to have regressed this year. They'll struggle to make the last 8 now. Wolfe Tones were hammered by Simonstown tonight as well. Think they'll walk to the title again.
    Ratoath still looking good in the Intermediate. From seeing a few games in Intermediate this year, it seems to me that the difference in quality between it and the better teams in Junior A is negligible. Ballinlough were terrible against Ratoath today. Their team was pretty much Peader Byrne and 14 mediocre players by the looks of it. And as far as I remember, they were Senior up to a few years ago.

In fairness, teams can rapidly crumble in the space of a few years now with emigration being so rampant. My own club in Cavan lost 13 players in the space of two years.

Advertisement