Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I would be happy enough over last night. The first championship game is about getting up to pace in championship and knocking off the cobwebs. Also no matter what you say, travelling to a s*^&hole like Aughrim for an early championship match is never easy and is always a potential banana skin.
    In regards to the halfbacks, at least Mick made the changes after half time. Would like to see Menton/Reilly at 3 and 6, I thought Peadar did well last night, you know what you get with him. Harnan did very well when he came in.
    We will have to ramp it up against Wexford, its one I am looking forward to as I work down there :) I can tell you that the confidence is not that high down there this year now that there has been a change in management, the consensus is that they won't be as good. I would not make much of their win over Louth, as Louth as ever failed to deliver when the chips were down.
    I for one are confident of getting to the Leinster Final, and giving either Dublin or Kildare a good run for their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Ruthless efficiency from Meath last night tbh. Anytime Wicklow came close they put another few scores between them.

One thing I can't understand for Meath is Brian Farrell. I know he only came on last night but he's never looked good enough for inter county for me.

The back line did look susceptible though. Menton's a great player so surely he and Reilly could both be accommodated centrally with one at half back and one at full back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

With regards to the referee, the penalty was a blatant free out. How a player can take the legs out from under a player in the air, accidentally or not, is beyond me. Also, in the buildup to the Wicklow goal, Gillespie was penalised for something. I've looked at the game on RTE and I still have no idea what he was penalised for. He dropped the ball so he wasn't overcarrying and he didn't touch it on the ground. Countless other soft frees given, the majority of them being given to Wicklow.

Think that's a bit harsh Lemlin. Brian was the second highest scorer in the entire championship last season, only overtaken by McFadden in the All Ireland final. A player not good enough for intercounty wouldn't have achieved that. I agree he can blow hot and cold but he's a good player to bring from the bench in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭paul71

Also, in the buildup to the Wicklow goal, Gillespie was penalised for something. I've looked at the game on RTE and I still have no idea what he was penalised for. He dropped the ball so he wasn't overcarrying and he didn't touch it on the ground.

That one baffled me. It looked liked he was actually penalised for catching the ball. Additionally Wicklow where extremely lucky to finish the first half with 15 men, Carroll was taken out with an elbow to the face and having looked at it a couple of times I cannot understand how it was not a straight red.

paul71 wrote: »
    That one baffled me. It looked liked he was actually penalised for catching the ball. Additionally Wicklow where extremely lucky to finish the first half with 15 men, Carroll was taken out with an elbow to the face and having looked at it a couple of times I cannot understand how it was not a straight red.
    Spot on with that. Was a bit of a nasty one after looking at the replay of it.

• Advertisement

With regards to the referee, the penalty was a blatant free out. How a player can take the legs out from under a player in the air, accidentally or not, is beyond me. Also, in the buildup to the Wicklow goal, Gillespie was penalised for something. I've looked at the game on RTE and I still have no idea what he was penalised for. He dropped the ball so he wasn't overcarrying and he didn't touch it on the ground. Countless other soft frees given, the majority of them being given to Wicklow.

Think that's a bit harsh Lemlin. Brian was the second highest scorer in the entire championship last season, only overtaken by McFadden in the All Ireland final. A player not good enough for intercounty wouldn't have achieved that. I agree he can blow hot and cold but he's a good player to bring from the bench in my view.

Didn't realise that about the championship last year. Maybe I am harsh on him but for me he's more a liability than anything else. Were Meath not coming back against Kildare last year and on a promising attack and he lost the ball with a dreadful unnecessary pass? I remember being in Navan and just thinking "not Farrell again!".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

He scored most of them from frees so no use for him now. I've never seen anyone miss the amount of shots for points and goals as he did in the league this year. Some games he is so selfish a bit like Bray at times.

He hardly ever wins a 50/50 ball and always dives/tumbles to the ground when he gets out in front to pick up a low ball in then usually loses it straight away. Very frustrating player to watch 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Yeah Newman basically negates any need for Farrell or Ward for that matter to be in the fold.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    He scored most of them from frees so no use for him now. I've never seen anyone miss the amount of shots for points and goals as he did in the league this year. Some games he is so selfish a bit like Bray at times.

He hardly ever wins a 50/50 ball and always dives/tumbles to the ground when he gets out in front to pick up a low ball in then usually loses it straight away. Very frustrating player to watch 90% of the time.

That's my view of him alright and it's also the opinion I hear from a number of the Meath people I know. One opinion I often hear is that he's in there because of who his father was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

His father was a great footballer, but I doubt that is why he is there. In fairness to Brian he has had plenty of good days too.
    What is the story with Cian Ward, is he injured, off the panel? If he is available in the subs, we have some forwards bench this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Ward was dropped from the panel, presumably due to lack of pace on the team.... feel for Farrell but he frustrates me on those days. On saturday I was watching him shout and roar for the ball, then he got the pass and lost it straight away. Ive seen him do that too many times unfortunately.

as an aside, did any of you hear of the Meath All Ireland 88 team being honoured in Spiegeltent in Navan this Wednesday? sounds like good craic, think Ill head to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

Farrell is a very frustrating player to watch, I think cian ward or Jamie queeney would offer more to us even just being used as subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

DRose1 wrote: »
    Peadar Byrne should not be starting imo.

I thought Peadar Byrne was Meath's best forward after Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

keane2097 wrote: »
    I thought Peadar Byrne was Meath's best forward after Reilly.

Aye, me too. Thought some of his foot-passing into the inside forward line was excellent, got through a lot of work.

Thought Peader did well going forward, but what probably didn't come across on TV on Saturday evening was that his man was constantly allowed come forward without him adequately tracking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

id agree we were weak enough in the half back line but mick was spot on to replace the two lads on yellows at half time.i was impressed with brian meade too he got through some serious graft.

rpurfield wrote: »
    id agree we were weak enough in the half back line but mick was spot on to replace the two lads on yellows at half time.i was impressed with brian meade too he got through some serious graft.

Another player I'd see as not good enough for Meath. Shane O'Rourke is missed at midfield. It's a pity about his injuries.

Is the Meath game on the 30th a double header with Dublin/Kildare?

The missus wants to attend so I've to look into tickets.

Wouldn't ya know Meath and Cavan would both be on the one weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Yes Lemlin. Meath/Wexford at 2pm. Dublin/Kildare at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Lemlin wrote: »
    Another player I'd see as not good enough for Meath. Shane O'Rourke is missed at midfield. It's a pity about his injuries.
    You are wrong. Brian Meade brings a lot to the table especially his work rate and distribution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Felexicon wrote: »
    You are wrong. Brian Meade brings a lot to the table especially his work rate and distribution

hes a grafter pure and simple.i think he can be found out against top midfields but in a situation like saturday where you need lads to just get stuck in and mullock hes invaluable.i looked back at the game again earlier and we really need to sort out our tackling it was dire at times really.there was a good few times where wicklow lads need standing up and they were fouled needlessly.we also need to be keeping cooler heads there was once or twice we turned over good ball in defence only to adopt the lets get it as far away from our goal as possible approach instead of picking a pass.

on the other side of it the full back line performed well and i really didnt realise how quick eamonn wallace was until i watched it back.paudric harnan has brilliant potential too and could be a cure to the ills of the half back line.

Unfortunately, I think Meade is the best midfielder we have at the moment (at least while SOR is injured). I can only remember one great game that Gillespie has had (Kildare last year) while Meade does tend to pull one out more regularly but has absolute stinkers in between them.
    I think a lot of the frees were extremely soft last week. Any time a player went in to tackle another the referee seemed to blow for a foul. At one stage, I remember he gave a free nearly a second before the player was tackled.
    But we do have to work the ball out when we win it in defence as I did notice we just gifted Wicklow the ball back after working so hard to win it.

I can't think of a player who would stick with Wallace at full speed (Dublin's Jack McCaffrey maybe). I just hope that this doesn't mean he'll be targeted for some treatment in future. I've noticed in the Intermediate Championship this season there've been some nasty challenges dished out to him to try and unsettle him.

The posters above seem to agree with me rather than you so not sure if my opinion can be labelled "wrong".

For me, Meade has more poor games than good ones. He may have been good, and I'd say good at best, against a Wicklow team destined for Division 4 but Meath need better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The posters above seem to agree with me rather than you so not sure if my opinion can be labelled "wrong".

For me, Meade has more poor games than good ones. He may have been good, and I'd say good at best, against a Wicklow team destined for Division 4 but Meath need better than that.
    You said he wasn't good enough for Meath. That's what you are wrong about.
    He is of a high enough quality to be in this Meath team.
    If you think he is a poor player then that is your opinion and one we disagree on but that wasn't why I was saying you were wrong.

You said he wasn't good enough for Meath. That's what you are wrong about.
    He is of a high enough quality to be in this Meath team.
    If you think he is a poor player then that is your opinion and one we disagree on but that wasn't why I was saying you were wrong.
    Agreed. I think he's the best midfielder we have available at the moment (which isn't really saying much).
    I can't believe the GAA have decided to put Maurice Deegan in charge of another Meath - Wexford game after what happened in 2008.

Agreed. I think he's the best midfielder we have available at the moment (which isn't really saying much).
    I can't believe the GAA have decided to put Maurice Deegan in charge of another Meath - Wexford game after what happened in 2008.

What happened in 08? I don't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

What happened in 08? I don't remember.

We played some unbelievable football in the 1st half, some of the best I've seen Meath play in the last 10 years, we were 10 points up with 20-25 mins left. We blew it, fair enough the ref wrongly disallowed Joe's goal but apart from that it was a complete and utter collapse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Meath are favourites (4/5) with PP :eek: :confused: wexford 5/4

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Yes the wexford match in '08 was one of the low points in meath football in the last decade. Matty Forde tore us apart in the 2nd half from what I remember. Followed quickly by an even lower point down in limerick.

But back to the present, the truth is is that if we are good enough we will beat wexford this time around, if we're not we will lose simple as. I do not think there will be a whole lot between the two teams and that it will be a tight match but i would have wexford as slight favourites despite what paddy power says going on what they've done in the previous few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Thing is, I know its the same ref as that last game, but if we are good enough to win and it should not matter at all who the ref is.

Advertisement