Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

I'm sick of so called "neutrals" telling me that IF Wicklow had scored the peno ( that was never a peno ), they'd have won. I thought Meath were in control, and would have won any way. Wicklow hit the ground running early in the 2nd half, but were well contained by a classier team.

Sure, we're no world beaters, but I think we'll dispose of Wexford comfortably in Croker. And then what ?.

Probably an 'old firm' derby. And we all ( don't ) know what can happen there.

P.S. Sorry, I forgot. The dubs are going to win the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

mattser wrote: »
    I'm sick of so called "neutrals" telling me that IF Wicklow had scored the peno ( that was never a peno ), they'd have won. I thought Meath were in control, and would have won any way. Wicklow hit the ground running early in the 2nd half, but were well contained by a classier team.

Sure, we're no world beaters, but I think we'll dispose of Wexford comfortably in Croker. And then what ?.

Probably an 'old firm' derby. And we all ( don't ) know what can happen there.

P.S. Sorry, I forgot. The dubs are going to win the All Ireland.

How would scoring a goal to give a one point lead in the first half guaranntee a Wicklow win. Ridiculous logic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

iDave wrote: »
    How would scoring a goal to give a one point lead in the first half guaranntee a Wicklow win. Ridiculous logic
    Because it's always the same with Meath. No matter who we beat it's never that we're the better team. Rather it's something the other team does to "gift" us the win.

Kildare didn't play to their strengths last year, in 2009 we caught Mayo on a bad day after having an "easy" run through the qualifiers.

It's just the same shíte again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Thing is, I know its the same ref as that last game, but if we are good enough to win and it should not matter at all who the ref is.

Absolutely. That second half performance was one of the worst I've seen and even with Deegan's refereeing we should have won. I'm just perplexed as to why the GAA would appoint the exact same referee for the first championship meeting between the two teams since then.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Because it's always the same with Meath. No matter who we beat it's never that we're the better team. Rather it's something the other team does to "gift" us the win.

Kildare didn't play to their strengths last year, in 2009 we caught Mayo on a bad day after having an "easy" run through the qualifiers.

Never a truer word said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

royaler83 wrote: »
    Meath are favourites (4/5) with PP :eek: :confused: wexford 5/4

13/8 in some places, was even 15/8 with B365 a few days ago. Worst misprice I think I've seen this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Felexicon wrote: »

Not a Meath man by any stretch but what you said is so true..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Not a Meath man by any stretch but what you said is so true..

The thing is lads, and I don't mean to be smart with this, Meath are one of the most hated counties in Ireland when it comes to football
    - for all the right reasons for their fans though, their success!

I remember a friend of mine wore his Meath jersey down to rag week in Sligo. Cork people, Mayo people (of course!) and Galway - he got abuse from all angles!

I once talked to a Tyrone player who played in the '96 All Ireland semi. He was visiting our Meath office for business and told me such was his hate for the county after that game he didn't even like driving through it!

When there's that much dislike for the county floating about, it's hard to get a bit of credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Lemlin wrote: »
    The thing is lads, and I don't mean to be smart with this, Meath are one of the most hated counties in Ireland when it comes to football
    - for all the right reasons for their fans though, their success!

I remember a friend of mine wore his Meath jersey down to rag week in Sligo. Cork people, Mayo people (of course!) and Galway - he got abuse from all angles!

I once talked to a Tyrone player who played in the '96 All Ireland semi. He was visiting our Meath office for business and told me such was his hate for the county after that game he didn't even like driving through it!

When there's that much dislike for the county floating about, it's hard to get a bit of credit.

The funny thing about '96 from my recollection was that we were the ones labelled dirty, yet we had a young team that teams tried to intimidate but failed. If memory serves me right we beat Laois in Portlaoise that year and they had a handy team, plenty of experience, and physically older and bigger than us. Laois went out to intimidate, we played football and the game was over with 10 mins to go, I really think that if Laois had gone out and played us properly that day that they could have gone a long way in the championship. In the Leinster final, Dublin relied on Jason Sherlock and Fay tied him up completely, on a wet miserable day, similar to 10 years prior to that day.
    In the semi final, from my view that day, Canavan went down in a heap in the square, looking to get Fay sent off, there was no contact whatsoever. A few minutes later, Fay gave him a reason to lie down, imo Canavan asked for it. For all Tyrones talk of physical Meath, they seem to forget that Geraghty possibly had his best match ever in a Meath Jersey.
    In the final, again, there was a bit of straightening out, especially in the replay. Mayo should have won, but should of, could of never won a game. That was a young Meath team that should have won a lot more than it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Jaysus, that was rich coming from a Tyrone man.

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    Jaysus, that was rich coming from a Tyrone man.

This poor Tyrone man still gets ribbed to this day about how one Meath player ran rings round him for the 70 minutes!

I was even down in Cookstown buying windows and mentioned knowing this man and the first thing said to me by the salesman was so and so ran rings round him in the All Ireland semi final!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

The funny thing about '96 from my recollection was that we were the ones labelled dirty, yet we had a young team that teams tried to intimidate but failed. If memory serves me right we beat Laois in Portlaoise that year and they had a handy team, plenty of experience, and physically older and bigger than us. Laois went out to intimidate, we played football and the game was over with 10 mins to go, I really think that if Laois had gone out and played us properly that day that they could have gone a long way in the championship. In the Leinster final, Dublin relied on Jason Sherlock and Fay tied him up completely, on a wet miserable day, similar to 10 years prior to that day.
    In the semi final, from my view that day, Canavan went down in a heap in the square, looking to get Fay sent off, there was no contact whatsoever. A few minutes later, Fay gave him a reason to lie down, imo Canavan asked for it. For all Tyrones talk of physical Meath, they seem to forget that Geraghty possibly had his best match ever in a Meath Jersey.
    In the final, again, there was a bit of straightening out, especially in the replay. Mayo should have won, but should of, could of never won a game. That was a young Meath team that should have won a lot more than it did.

Twas Mcdermott that nailed him, absolutely went through him as Canavan kicked a point with his left foot into the hill. Canavan did very little in the game after this :D

It later transpired that getting clipped like that wasn't lost on Canavan :p

Geraghty was unreal in the same game, along with Brendan Reilly they ran riot. Definitely one of my fondest memories of following Meath :cool:

Twas Mcdermott that nailed him, absolutely went through him as Canavan kicked a point with his left foot into the hill. Canavan did very little in the game after this :D

Geraghty was unreal in the same game, along with Brendan Reilly they ran riot. Definitely one of my fondest memories of following Meath :cool:

My memory says Fay caught Canavan. He was on one knee and Fay shouldered him into the head. He wore a bandage for the rest of the game. As good a footballer as he was, I never had anytime for Canavan after that game, simulation and trying to get an opposition player sent off has no place in football and he did it more than once during his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

My memory says Fay caught Canavan. He was on one knee and Fay shouldered him into the head. He wore a bandage for the rest of the game. As good a footballer as he was, I never had anytime for Canavan after that game, simulation and trying to get an opposition player sent off has no place in football and he did it more than once during his career.

Def twas Mcdermott, have an old video of it somewhere and says it on this indo article. Mentions "dinky" mcbride getting a doin in it too, he had a ridiculous bandage round his head that was so low that it was questioned at the time how it couldn't be impairing his vision :confused:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/how-meath-taught-tyrone-the-hard-way-to-win-sam-26308686.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭paul71

For all Tyrones talk of physical Meath, they seem to forget that Geraghty possibly had his best match ever in a Meath Jersey.

In 30 years watching football I have seen 1 player so completely dominate a backline, what Geraghty did to Tyrone that day was make a group of talented tough backs look like lost little boys.
    One score sticks out in my mind where he ran at a tyrone back who got caught facing his own goal, each time the back turned to try face him Geraghty turned him the other way, all he could do was sprint back in the direction of his own goal ahead of Geraghty, it would not have been more comical if had fallen on his Arse.
    In spite of this, all the media reaction in days following centered on the vilifacation of one of the fairest and and most gentlemanly players ever to play intercounty football Martin O'Connell. He was villified by a female RTE chat show host who lived in London and probably never attended a football match in her life.

Agree with above poster re sucess breeding hatred but I most say in counties which were not beaten by those Meath teams (ie. the ones which we did not play against) I always found that we were admired for what we acheived against the bigger counties who had beaten them every year for decades.

Def twas Mcdermott, have an old video of it somewhere and says it on this indo article. Mentions "dinky" mcbride getting a doin in it too, he had a ridiculous bandage round his head that was so low that it was questioned at the time how it couldn't be impairing his vision :confused:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/how-meath-taught-tyrone-the-hard-way-to-win-sam-26308686.html

Dinky and McHale still moan about '96 to this day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

More than once - the lad made a career out of it - got away with blue murder because of who he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

cant remember the fay incident but mcdermott nailed him as he kicked a point alright what i remember was he basically shouldered his kicking leg as it was in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

so whats the feeling for sunday then?im missing my first championship game in about 6 years as id a few days booked away with the clan, i think we need to show a bit more around the half back line but id be confident we can see it out if everyone shows up

I think yas will win as I said on the match thread.

Wicklow caused ye some problems but Aughrim is a tough place to go and the result was never in doubt.

People forget Wicklow beat Longford in the previous round and Longford are a good side.

• Advertisement

They are quietly confident down in Wexford, the panel is keeping very quiet, in fact there is either a deliberate reduction of news out of the Wexford camp or they are just nonplussed about the whole thing. I should hear something about their team by Friday.
    Going mad that I am going to miss this one too, other family plans are clashing on the same day :mad:

I am confident that we will win, but Wexford have no fear of us either and they can play a bit. I am not sure they can hurt us in the areas where we are week, their mid-field changes as much as ours does. I think the loss of Jason Ryan from their managerial setup could start a decline in Wexford football. By the way I also think the inclusion of Ryan in the Kildare setup may be of big benefit to them, Kildare might catch the Dubs on the hop on Sunday.

Very nervous going into it. They have some very potent forwards and we have a very leaky defense. Midfield is a concern too. Anyone know when the team in announced?
    3 sets of fans will be cheering for Wexford in Croker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

I would expect that management will try to tighten up the defense in particular the half back line which drew a lot of criticism from the wicklow game. If they are successful in that I would hope we can win.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that Menton will be kept at corner back (he should be CHB in my opinion) with either himself or Keoghan marking Lyng. I also expect King to play again at CHB but I do hope that at least one of the two wing backs are dropped and young Harnan who did well when he came on and/or Kenny coming in.

I think that midfield and forwards will be kept roughly the same as the Wicklow game with only minor tweaks. Possibly G Reilly will be dropped back to midfield like last season and see how the wexford backs handle him running at them.

As for the 3 sets of fans cheering against meath, I'm not sure that I can remember a time, at least in my lifetime when it was any different. But I wouldn't have it any other way tbh

Will many of the Dublin and Kildare fans be in Croker for the early game? I was expecting it to be relatively quiet until the second game.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Will many of the Dublin and Kildare fans be in Croker for the early game? I was expecting it to be relatively quiet until the second game.

They should start arriving in with about 15 mins to go in the Meath Wexford game:( with the majority arriving about 5 minutes into the Dublin Kildare game.:confused:

It irritates the hell out of me being on first, but its probably just my age catching up with me

Dont like the trend in recent years of having to play before a Dublin match, has happened a few times since 2010. Would rather it were stand alone in Portlaoise/Tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

I see the chief of the leinster council said that they are not expecting the total crowd for the two games to top 50,000 so much could be said of having meath v wexford in tullamore say in front of 15-16k. I think that would be a much better atmosphere. Would also love to see them move Dublin games away from croke park every now and again. A meath v dublin game in navan would be something else!

Hibbeler wrote: »
    I see the chief of the leinster council said that they are not expecting the total crowd for the two games to top 50,000 so much could be said of having meath v wexford in tullamore say in front of 15-16k. I think that would be a much better atmosphere. Would also love to see them move Dublin games away from croke park every now and again. A meath v dublin game in navan would be something else!

Pairc Tailteann would have to be ripped down and rebuilt first. It's a disgrace to Meath football that its your county ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭paul71

Pairc Tailteann would have to be ripped down and rebuilt first. It's a disgrace to Meath football that its your county ground.

It is indeed a very poor ground Lemin, but interesting you would call it a disgrace to Meath football. Do you have anything better in Kildare?

• Advertisement

paul71 wrote: »
    It is indeed a very poor ground Lemin, but interesting you would call it a disgrace to Meath football. Do you have anything better in Kildare?

I'm from Cavan and yes we do have something better, Breffni Park.

You can visit it this year for the first game of the International Rules Series :D

Advertisement