Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'm from Cavan and yes we do have something better, Breffni Park.

You can visit it this year for the first game of the International Rules Series :D

Ah here lads put the handbags away i was only thinking through my keyboard.

Wouldn't be hard to be better than navan or newbridge but i'm not sure there are any county grounds that would compare favorably with any grounds the visiting australians would be used to. Not even breffni i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TriggerLivesOn

Meath are useless this year no prospect of anything to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

TriggerLivesOn

Posts 7
    Age 7

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

paul71 wrote: »
    It is indeed a very poor ground Lemin, but interesting you would call it a disgrace to Meath football. Do you have anything better in Kildare?

It is true though, the ground in navan, particularly the stand is a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

royaler83 wrote: »
    It is true though, the ground in navan, particularly the stand is a disgrace

As I said after the league game, a lump of ply drilled onto concrete doesn't constitute seating.

How many does Tailteann even hold now that the hills are closed? Meath has a large population.

In fairness, Croke Park's development has been to the detriment of the grounds in other counties around Leinster.

I'm worried the same may happen in Ulster now with Casement's huge redevelopment.

• Advertisement

As I said after the league game, a lump of ply drilled onto concrete doesn't constitute seating.

Desperate in this day and age

How many does Tailteann even hold now that the hills are closed? Meath has a large population.

In fairness, Croke Park's development has been to the detriment of the grounds in other counties around Leinster.

I'm worried the same may happen in Ulster now with Casement's huge redevelopment.

Yea clones wont get a look in when casement is done, Cavan have a good set up but nightmare gettin in/out

I heard there are "plans" to replace the main stand and the concrete seat side stands with a new stand the full length of the pitch but when that'll happen is anyones guess. Money is the issue of course

in the short term all that will happen if anything is terracing to replace grass banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

iDave wrote: »
    TriggerLivesOn

Posts 7
    Age 7

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭paul71

I'm from Cavan and yes we do have something better, Breffni Park.

You can visit it this year for the first game of the International Rules Series :D

Fair enough, so you are from Kildares feeder county. :)

Feeder county? Last time I checked Kildare were picking up our scraps :D

Still, no wonder they're in debt paying all those travelling expenses for his drive up and down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Pairc Tailteann would have to be ripped down and rebuilt first. It's a disgrace to Meath football that its your county ground.
    If you could do that without poisoning the town of Navan then fire away. Main stand is laced with asbestos.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Meath (SFC v Wexford) - Paddy O Rourke; Donal Keoghan, Kevin Reilly, Bryan Menton; Padraic Harnan, Caomhín King, Seamus Kenny; Brian Meade, Conor Gillespie; Peadar Byrne, Damien Carroll, Graham Reilly; Eamonn Wallace, Stephen Bray, Michael Newman.

So what do we think? Worried that King is still at half back with Menton in the corner. Hopefully Carroll has improved in the two weeks since the Wicklow game. Good to see both Kenny and Harnan rewarded for their second half performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

:D:D:D Class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

Meath (SFC v Wexford) - Paddy O Rourke; Donal Keoghan, Kevin Reilly, Bryan Menton; Padraic Harnan, Caomhín King, Seamus Kenny; Brian Meade, Conor Gillespie; Peadar Byrne, Damien Carroll, Graham Reilly; Eamonn Wallace, Stephen Bray, Michael Newman.

So what do we think? Worried that King is still at half back with Menton in the corner. Hopefully Carroll has improved in the two weeks since the Wicklow game. Good to see both Kenny and Harnan rewarded for their second half performances.

im a long term royals supporter and am excited about some of these new players,wallace harnan,keoghan from last year paddy o rourke [what a kickout]newman who has been at that level for a couple of years.is there a better footballer in ireland at the moment then graham reilly.
    on a sidenote but we have to get cian ward back and treat him like the genius he is imo our maurice fitz

im a long term royals supporter and am excited about some of these new players,wallace harnan,keoghan from last year paddy o rourke [what a kickout]newman who has been at that level for a couple of years.is there a better footballer in ireland at the moment then graham reilly.
    on a sidenote but we have to get cian ward back and treat him like the genius he is imo our maurice fitz

To be able to bring in Sheridan, Farrell AND Cian Ward off the bench. now that's attacking backup :)

Expecting a win tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

We were embarrassingly bad at times in the first half today. Won't bother naming names because most of the team were well below par. Fortunately we improved hugely in the second half and at times looked reasonable going forward.

Main positives: Newman has all the makings of a record breaking free taker for Meath. His technique is almost faultless. Biggy Reilly was unstoppable at times and Bray was excellent in the second half after a dodgy first. Kev Reilly looked solid again and Harnan looked solid enough on his champ debut as a starter. Kenny also worked his ass off and was very unfortunate at some of the frees given against him.

Main negatives: King as expected was awful again and was called ashore just in time. Keoghan is an excellent defender but his lapses in concentration are costing us badly so far this year. Our midfield was dismantled in the first half and its scary to think what Dublin are going to do with us in that department. Outside of a point and an assist, Wallace looked well out of his depth today and outside of his pace, he is nowhere near the standard required at this level. While Carroll had one or two good moments, I still stand by what I said after the Wicklow game; he is not up to the level required at this stage in his career. Far too lightweight and he will be thrown around like a ragdoll the next day against Dublin.

Overall I think regardless of what happens from here on out, it has been a good first year for Micko and given the limited talent in the county (imo), he is doing as good a job as anyone else could do at the minute. Dublin will sweep us aside with ease, but it will be interesting to see how we fare in the qualifiers.

It being Meath/Dublin, I think we will raise our performance and give them a bit of a run. I thought that our tactics changed for the worse when Joe came on, we went long ball completely, whereas up to then, running direct at Wexford caused them big problems. Our midfield was shocking at times, but at least the selectors spotted the issue at Centre half back and reacted.

As with the Wicklow game, yas were never in trouble yesterday, even when four points down in the first half. I watched the game again last night on Sky Plus and I struggled to remember Meath being that far behind in the actual game. Ye always looked comfortable.

Wexford didn't press home their advantage in the first half. Newman looked good. He was fouled an awful lot. Very strange for a player in his debut season but Wexford seemed to be afraid of him.

The Dubs are some unit though. Watching the second game it was clear to see why they are in Division 1 and Wexford and Meath in lower divisions.

I think Menton has to get a more central role for that game. Your backline is going to be under serious pressure. The midfield also needs to be sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

if i was mick odowd id bite the bullet and play harnan at 6 let him grow into the position im blue in the face pointing how its been a problem position for years now.id be afraid of been cleaned out midfield the next day, brian meade is a workhorse but he wont have the pace to keep up with the dublin lads in there, and king will be over run if hes left at 6.the only positive is mick isnt afraid to call it and make the switches thats needed, its been a good first year for him so far and given how dublin have played this year, hes going in with no pressure on the team what so ever, id be pretty hopeful of an all ireland quarter regardless of how the leinster final goes, and i really didnt expect that in january.

• Advertisement

Another big game this weekend with the minor footballers in the Leinster semi final against Westmeath on Saturday. All going well we will have two teams in leinster finals (also a chance of meath v dublin in both senior and minor finals for second year running).

Hopefully the lads will have a good showing of support in Navan!

Not looking forward to this at all at all. Being Dublin based makes it all the harder. That said, I would rather the Dubs win the AI than ' some others '. Mayo excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

After the Kildare rout I wasnt getting too pumped up for this final for fear of what the Dubs were capable of. The closer we get the delusion sets in and now daydreaming about beating the bluebottles. The pain of being a sports fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

SWMBO and the BIL both staunch Royals came along to the Semi's. The Club is taking ticket orders for the Leinster Final, eh .. both are gonna sit it out - that's the great thing about the remote control in the sitting room :D ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

iDave wrote: »
    After the Kildare rout I wasnt getting too pumped up for this final for fear of what the Dubs were capable of. The closer we get the delusion sets in and now daydreaming about beating the bluebottles. The pain of being a sports fan!

Either way you have to play teams like Dublin to evaluate how much progress the team is making and with no pressure on the team I think no matter what happens it will stand to the team to have played Dublin at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Lads - quick question - Senior Manager Mick O'Dowd - was he on the Meath panel for the All Ireland Final in 2001?

Lads - quick question - Senior Manager Mick O'Dowd - was he on the Meath panel for the All Ireland Final in 2001?

According to wikipedia he was

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Yes, I remember him coming on as a late sub in the semi final against Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

royaler83 wrote: »
    According to wikipedia he was
    pipelaser wrote: »
    Yes, I remember him coming on as a late sub in the semi final against Kerry.

Thanks lads - thought it was him. Mick sat beside me at the 2003 All Ireland Final, high up in the Cusack Stand. As the teams came out to loud cheers, he turned to me and remarked about the tremendous experience / feeling it was to do that. I didn't recognise him and had to ask - he explained he was on the Meath panel in 2001.

To be honest, I'd nearly forgot about the story until something stirred my memory when I watched his interview after last week's Wexford game.

On what was a terrible day for Armagh in 2003, he was the first person to commiserate, and I was left with a lasting impression of a decent fella!! :)

• Advertisement

Minor S/F Results ;

Westmeath 0-11 Meath 1-6

Kildare 3-13 Dublin 2-6

Advertisement