Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

http://hoganstand.com/Meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=196169
    Disappointing defeat but can't really complain if you only score 1-6.
    If the above is proved true then I sincerely hope the player involved, no matter what club they're with, is banned for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Thanks lads - thought it was him. Mick sat beside me at the 2003 All Ireland Final, high up in the Cusack Stand. As the teams came out to loud cheers, he turned to me and remarked about the tremendous experience / feeling it was to do that. I didn't recognise him and had to ask - he explained he was on the Meath panel in 2001.

To be honest, I'd nearly forgot about the story until something stirred my memory when I watched his interview after last week's Wexford game.

On what was a terrible day for Armagh in 2003, he was the first person to commiserate, and I was left with a lasting impression of a decent fella!! :)

Thats a bit of a strange thing to say to a stranger, almost like he was bragging! But we'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    I know quite a few lads that have played with/under him and hes supposed to be a proper gent.

But he comes no where near Twevor, Twevor is an honest to jayses sound out, unassuming fella. Good man Twevor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

pipelaser wrote: »
    Thats a bit of a strange thing to say to a stranger, almost like he was bragging! But we'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    I know quite a few lads that have played with/under him and hes supposed to be a proper gent.

But he comes no where near Twevor, Twevor is an honest to jayses sound out, unassuming fella. Good man Twevor

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Anyone any thoughts on what sort of attendance could be expected on sunday? Looks like the weather is staying good which always helps drive the numbers up.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Anyone any thoughts on what sort of attendance could be expected on sunday? Looks like the weather is staying good which always helps drive the numbers up.

I'd say roughly 55,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Can't fúcking wait for Sunday

Hon The Royal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Felexicon wrote: »
    Can't fúcking wait for Sunday

Hon The Royal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes thats the spirit

An Mhi Abu!!!!!!

There wont be a cow milked if we win on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

yea damn right, come onnnnnnnnn the Royal!!! Meath 4 sam! (yea I know, I went too far...)

snowgal wrote: »
    yea damn right, come onnnnnnnnn the Royal!!! Meath 4 sam! (yea I know, I went too far...)
    No you didn't go too far. I'm fúcking sick of people saying we're only going to make up the numbers on Sunday. This is Meath football. We are bigger than that. Our lads will have more heart, passion and hunger per man than the whole Dublin panel. I hope the team are reading every sports section they can get their hands on and that the words of so called experts lights a fire inside them that only someone who bleeds green and gold can understand.

Hon the Royal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's big, He's slow, We call him big slow Joe!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Oh, god. I almost choked on a glass of water reading that!

No you didn't go too far. I'm fúcking sick of people saying we're only going to make up the numbers on Sunday. This is Meath football. We are bigger than that. Our lads will have more heart, passion and hunger per man than the whole Dublin panel. I hope the team are reading every sports section they can get their hands on and that the words of so called experts lights a fire inside them that only someone who bleeds green and gold can understand.

Hon the Royal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody please email Micko a copy of this to pin on the dressing room wall :pac:
    Hon the Royal!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Going to be ugly on Sunday, I can see Dublin winning by +15 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Going to be ugly on Sunday, I can see Dublin winning by +15 points.

I dont know about that, they've been training for the leinster final in mind from day 1 and we seemed to finish our 1st 2 games strongly while dublin have'nt been tested beyond 45-50mins yet, if we stay with them until them i'd be confident of beating them, but staying with them til then is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Royaler78

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I dont know about that, they've been training for the leinster final in mind from day 1 and we seemed to finish our 1st 2 games strongly while dublin have'nt been tested beyond 45-50mins yet, if we stay with them until them i'd be confident of beating them, but staying with them til then is a must.

Meath always tend to raise their game for Dublin but, having watched both teams two weeks ago in the semi, Dublin are clearly a level above Meath.

It reminded me of two years ago when Cavan played Longford before Meath played Louth in Breffni. When the Meath lads arrived out onto the pitch, it was clear they were a level above the two teams that had played before. The size of the players, conditioning etc. They just looked a better football team before a ball was even kicked.

I don't think Meath have a hope in hell of victory but I also don't think it will be the hammering some are expecting.

I'll be in attendance on Sunday again and would love to see the cat put amongst the pidgeons with a Meath win but I'm putting the chances of it at 0.0000000001%!!

Lemlin wrote: »
    Meath always tend to raise their game for Dublin but, having watched both teams two weeks ago in the semi, Dublin are clearly a level above Meath.

I agree, they look a level above us, but they have'nt been tested beyond 45-50mins, We have not started well so far so on sunday we have to match them from the start, if we can do that who knows what could happen in the last 20mins, in 2010 nobody gave us a chance and we won, same last year and we only lost by 3 and could've won it, the start sunday is crucial

More of this on Sunday please:
    inpho_00440225-630x420.jpg
    438152.jpg
    437973.jpg
    437945.jpg
    437984.jpg

I hate this niggling feeling of optimism in the back of mind in the lead up to Sunday. I know it's misplaced. I know we're more than likely going to come up short. But there's that tiny bit of hope in me that is making me think we may have a chance if everything goes our way (i.e. if Dublin have an off day, if we play our best, if the referee is generous, the woodwork's our friend etc.). As they say, it's the hope that kills you.

No matter what, I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if we don't put up a better showing against them than Westmeath and Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Lemlin wrote: »

It reminded me of two years ago when Cavan played Longford before Meath played Louth in Breffni. When the Meath lads arrived out onto the pitch, it was clear they were a level above the two teams that had played before. The size of the players, conditioning etc. They just looked a better football team before a ball was even kicked.

I don't think Meath have a hope in hell of victory but I also don't think it will be the hammering some are expecting.

I'll be in attendance on Sunday again and would love to see the cat put amongst the pidgeons with a Meath win but I'm putting the chances of it at 0.0000000001%!!

You arent by any chance taking bets at those odds of 100 billion to 1?

Might risk a euro on Meath....

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Well lads, any word of how Mark o' Sullivan is goin this year with the football?
    Thought he'd be on the senior football panel but can't see him on it at all, only see he was mentioned with the hurlers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

You arent by any chance taking bets at those odds of 100 billion to 1?

Might risk a euro on Meath....

Might throw a fiver at that myself, especially at them odd's.

Not confident at all re Sunday, but as always there is hope.
    If someone said in January that we would be premoted to D2 and be in Leinster final then I would take there hand off.

Dont get me wrong if we were to win, I will go stark raving mad for God knows how long. But I will settle for a good strong compeditive showing given that we are rebuilding. And so far I think we are heading in the right direction. If Sunday goes badly against us, its how we pick up and continue the progress.

Here's hoping and praying.....

PS I remember the same feeling heading into the Leinster final in 1996. I was looking for a decent showing and look what happened.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Mickey Burke in at 6????? not sure about that at all

Not sure about Burke either but King had to go

Dunno what to make of Burke but who else is there to bring in.

Mickey's Captain Caveman look to scare the bejaysus out of the Dublin forward line.

But seriously, really cannot understand why Menton is persisted with at corner back. I feel he's wasted unless he's at 3 or 6. Maybe Menton will swap with Burke when the teams line out. I hope the forwards have been at the shooting practice as we're gonna have to be able to count the number of wides on one hand if we're to have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Mickey's Captain Caveman look to scare the bejaysus out of the Dublin forward line.

But seriously, really cannot understand why Menton is persisted with at corner back. I feel he's wasted unless he's at 3 or 6. Maybe Menton will swap with Burke when the teams line out. I hope the forwards have been at the shooting practice as we're gonna have to be able to count the number of wides on one hand if we're to have a chance.

Burke or Menton aren't man markers, burke in particular could get ripped apart if he's left any way exposed. Hope Micko doesnt go man to man or we're in big trouble. Need to help out the two midfielders big time or michael daragh will run through us all day

I think Burke will go to Corner Back, just cant be in Centre, just cant :eek:
    Reilly or Menton to go Centre Back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

not convinced of burke playing anywhere in the backs when lads need marking.hed be ideal to drop back from the half forwards if we planned to pack a defence.but king needed to go hed be destroyed at centre half the way dublin run.

my head says well do well and at best claim some form of moral victory but my heart is starting to think we might sneak it.

I'm damp with excitement.

Hon the Royal

• Advertisement

Hope we take inspiration from that Waterford performance.

Up Meath

Advertisement