Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Lemlin wrote: »
    Tyrone and Meath wouldn't be an even contest. Ye do have a psychological effect on them it seems but they are a better team.
    Funny, they said the exact same thing in 2007. Hard to know where Tyrone are at the moment. Never really looked like beating Donegal, hammered Offaly yet nearly came a cropper against Roscommon. Going by accounts, they were quite lucky to actually get the win in the Hyde as Roscommon missed a lot of late frees.
    Kildare operated in Division 1 this year and I'd see last year's result as a one off. The year before, for example, they beat ye in Navan.
    Again, it's a bit naive to use the league as a barometer. What did playing division 1 football do for them against Dublin? If you watched our game against Dublin and compared the two, would you really say Kildare were playing in division 1?
    I don't know how you came to the conclusion that that our (pretty comprehensive) win last year was a once off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Funny, they said the exact same thing in 2007. Hard to know where Tyrone are at the moment. Never really looked like beating Donegal, hammered Offaly yet nearly came a cropper against Roscommon. Going by accounts, they were quite lucky to actually get the win in the Hyde as Roscommon missed a lot of late frees.

Again, it's a bit naive to use the league as a barometer. What did playing division 1 football do for them against Dublin? If you watched our game against Dublin and compared the two, would you really say Kildare were playing in division 1?
    I don't know how you came to the conclusion that that our (pretty comprehensive) win last year was a once off either.
    Division 1 is brilliant hammer ye should try it sometime soon ;)

Sorry had to

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I don't see how it is naive to use the league. When was the last time an All Ireland champion wasn't in Division 1 of the league? The top teams operate there. Yes, Donegal went down this year but I guarantee you they'll bounce straight back up. Kildare and Tyrone are in Division 1 so they are operating at a higher level than Meath

I think if anything is naive it's rating the two teams based on comparing their beatings by Dublin. Having been at the two games, Dublin played alot better against Kildare than they did against Meath IMO.

Because I would see it as a once off. They beat ye in 2010 and twice in 2011. You beat them once in 2012. That's 3-1 to them in the last 3 years of championship. How would you define it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭paul71

Tyrone and Meath wouldn't be an even contest. Ye do have a psychological effect on them it seems but they are a better team.

Kildare operated in Division 1 this year and I'd see last year's result as a one off. The year before, for example, they beat ye in Navan.

Tyrone are not that much a better team then Meath.

The game in Navan that you spoke of 2 years ago was a very close affair and the turning point was the Seamus Kenny injury, who until that point had been running rings around Emmet Bolton. Kildare regressed in the year after that and Meath beat them easily since last year, since then Kildare have regressed even more.

You seem to place great faith in league football, thats fine but it is niave in the extreme to ignore championship form which is what you have chosen to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

paul71 wrote: »
    Tyrone are not that much a better team then Meath.

The game in Navan that you spoke of 2 years ago was a very close affair and the turning point was the Seamus Kenny injury, who until that point had been running rings around Emmet Bolton. Kildare regressed in the year after that and Meath beat them easily since last year, since then Kildare have regressed even more.

You seem to place great faith in league football, thats fine but it is niave in the extreme to ignore championship form which is what you have chosen to do.
    The bookies operate based on statistics Tyrone would be ranked warmish favourites against Meath You would likely get Meath at 2/1 There is too much been made of what is at the end of the day a 7 pt defeat to Dublin

• Advertisement

The bookies operate based on statistics Tyrone would be ranked warmish favourites against Meath You would likely get Meath at 2/1 There is too much been made of what is at the end of the day a 7 pt defeat to Dublin

Those odds would be about right, and just the type of odds Meath are capable of overturning. I am not taking anything out of a 7 point defeat to Dublin. What I am taking out of the game is the fact that Meath were competitive against Dublin from first to last whistle, and lost by 7 points, against the previous year when they lost by 3 points but were not competitive at any stage.

Those odds would be about right, and just the type of odds Meath are capable of overturning. I am not taking anything out of a 7 point defeat to Dublin. What I am taking out of the game is the fact that Meath were competitive against Dublin from first to last whistle, and lost by 7 points, against the previous year when they lost by 3 points but were not competitive at any stage.
    Yes they could overturn those odds in a one off championship game Its expected Meaths curve should be upwards Backs is always easier to sort than forwards I believe few backs may return yet from injury? Joe Sheridan a championship performer He is straining at the leash to do like Le Tissier did few years ago against Newcastle Kind of I am the man dont you look ridiculous for dropping me Worth checking that Le Tissier 2 goals o the year performance in one game Im confident Joe wont be held at full forward His big game record shows in what was a poorer Meath team

I don't see how it is naive to use the league. When was the last time an All Ireland champion wasn't in Division 1 of the league? The top teams operate there. Yes, Donegal went down this year but I guarantee you they'll bounce straight back up. Kildare and Tyrone are in Division 1 so they are operating at a higher level than Meath
    In the league they certainly are. But this is the championship. Armagh were operating at a higher level than Cavan, Down were operating at a higher level than Derry, Longford than Wicklow, Sligo than London etc etc. It isn't the be all and end all in the championship.
    I think if anything is naive it's rating the two teams based on comparing their beatings by Dublin. Having been at the two games, Dublin played alot better against Kildare than they did against Meath IMO.
    Dublin played a lot better against Kildare simply because we didn't roll out the red carpet and roll over for them. We didn't let them play well. That's the fact of the matter.
    Because I would see it as a once off. They beat ye in 2010 and twice in 2011. You beat them once in 2012. That's 3-1 to them in the last 3 years of championship. How would you define it?
    I'd define a "once off" as something that wouldn't happen again. As paul said, the thing that swung that game in Navan was Seamus Kenny getting injured in the last 10 minutes. I don't think there's anything to suggest Meath couldn't beat Kildare if we meet each other next weekend.

In the league they certainly are. But this is the championship. Armagh were operating at a higher level than Cavan, Down were operating at a higher level than Derry, Longford than Wicklow, Sligo than London etc etc. It isn't the be all and end all in the championship.

Dublin played a lot better against Kildare simply because we didn't roll out the red carpet and roll over for them. We didn't let them play well. That's the fact of the matter.

I'd define a "once off" as something that wouldn't happen again. As paul said, the thing that swung that game in Navan was Seamus Kenny getting injured in the last 10 minutes. I don't think there's anything to suggest Meath couldn't beat Kildare if we meet each other next weekend.
    A championship game is a once off You need to think a bit deeper about season results versus result in one game

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

I honestly think we have a chance of reaching the QF stages this year. Beating either Kildare or Tyrone will be a tough ask no doubt about it but it is definitely doable. League divisions aside I do not think we are too far behind Tyrone, but definitely ahead of Kildare on championship form. The only thing that would put Kildare ahead of Meath in the last few years is consistency IMO.

Every championship match we played so far this year has been an improvement on the last and at the very least I would expect Meath to be competitive in their next game!

• Advertisement

Yes it is championship and, as I said, in the last 3 years, Kildare have beaten Meath 3 out of 4 times.

There's a big difference between Division 1 and the other three divisions. Of all your examples, none are a Division 1 side losing to a lower division team. Down and Derry changed positions this year.

You could look at it like that or you could think Dublin were more pumped up for the Kildare game because they were ready for a harder test. Either way, from
    being at both games, the Dublin forwards were moving alot better off the ball against Kildare and that had nothing to do with anything Meath were doing.

Of course ye could beat them. I just don't expect ye too. Just like Cavan and Derry today, Cavan could win but I don't expect them too.

I also expect this topic to be redundant as I'll be surprised if Kildare don't go out tonight.

You must of been at a different game to me. Great game and highly entertaining until Dublin's second goal went in around the 55th minute. Then it ended in a damp squib.

It was not competitive from first to last whistle.

You must of been at a different game to me. Great game and highly entertaining until Dublin's second goal went in around the 55th minute. Then it ended in a damp squib.

It was not competitive from first to last whistle.

I must have been, 15 minutes into second half Meath started going for goals with Wallace trying to chip Cluxton, had they taken the point scoring chances instead of dropping the ball into Cluxtons hands they would have been within 2 points with a few minutes to go, as they did that 5 times.

But of course you were at a different game and didn't see that.

I must have been, 15 minutes into second half Meath started going for goals with Wallace trying to chip Cluxton, had they taken the point scoring chances instead of dropping the ball into Cluxtons hands they would have been within 2 points with a few minutes to go, as they did that 5 times.

But of course you were at a different game and didn't see that.

And if your aunt had balls...

15 minutes into the second half is at 50 minutes. You said from the first whistle to the last Meath were competitive.

The fact is they weren't.

And if your aunt had balls...

15 minutes into the second half is at 50 minutes. You said from the first whistle to the last Meath were competitive.

The fact is they weren't.

They were, you are just too blinkered or biased to see it. You may as well have been watching a game of Cricket because it is obvious from your posts you only see what you want to see and not what is before your eyes.:)

Kildare better then Meath - laughable

Meath have no chance against Tyrone - untrue

Dublin rolled over Meath - didn't happen

Cavan are Meath rivals - 60 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

alright there is ten minutes to go in newbridge as i type and i wouldnt fear the pick of these teams to be honest.if we can bring the first half intensity from the leinster final wed beat either kildare or tyrone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

They were, you are just too blinkered or biased to see it. You may as well have been watching a game of Cricket because it is obvious from your posts you only see what you want to see and not what is before your eyes.:)

To be fair lad, once the second goal went in the intensity died off a bit.

I'm not biased or blinkered. I'd actually prefer Meath to stay in the championship because it gets me a few trips to Croke Park but I'm a realist.

How were they competitive to the final whistle? The minute that second goal went in the game lost all its intensity. Meath people were leaving before the final whistle. Were you at the game? I can't see how you were if you don't realise the second Dublin goal ended it. All the Meath supporters around me sunk into their seats and lost their voices anyway.

How is it laughable that Kildare are better than Meath? They've beaten them three of the last four times they've played. Kildare play in Division 1 where the top teams play. Meath are just promoted to Division 2. What proof have you to say my point is laughable?

I never said Dublin rolled over Meath. Read my posts. I said Meath were competitive for 55 minutes and then the game was over as a contest. You argued this back by pointing to a piece of action from 50 minutes into the match? So if you can't point to any meaningful Meath move after 50 minutes how can you say they were competitive to 70 minutes?

So why did Kells people throw stones at cars in '97 if they are rivals 60 years ago?

Felexicon wrote: »
    To be fair lad, once the second goal went in the intensity died off a bit.

Thank you. I don't think I'm the blinkered or biased one here to be honest.

After watching the Tyrone game, I'm even more confident that we've a good chance against them.

• Advertisement

After watching the Tyrone game, I'm even more confident that we've a good chance against them.

Nothing there we can't deal with. The two O'Reillys will need big games

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Nothing there we can't deal with. The two O'Reillys will need big games

Keogan or Kevin reilly would b needed to do a big job on O Neill.

If Meaths attack can function in any way well they could get some success out of that Tyrone defence as they are no great shakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

We haven't a hope in hell. We are inferior to the bigger teams. And we throw stones at cars. :D:D

mattser wrote: »
    We haven't a hope in hell. We are inferior to the bigger teams. And we throw stones at cars. :D:D

Yeah but the boys might put up a bigger fight now that we could face our arch rivals Cavan later in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Hunky Dory's V Tayto, should be plenty of CRISP football, with a few crunching tackles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

iDave wrote: »
    I'm from Trim and Cavan just doesnt register on our radar.
    I'm not from meath or cavan, but I know a lot of Meath people and imho cavan are not big rivals for them.

They hardly ever meet in the championship, where these things grow.

I'd say that in some order the top three would be Dublin, Cork and Kildare. I'd say that the cavan lads would be envious of the all Ireland successmeath have had in the last 20 or 30 years as they are neighbours, but I'd say it's mostly one way traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

mattser wrote: »
    Yeah but the boys might put up a bigger fight now that we could face our arch rivals Cavan later in the summer.

Time to head home next weekend and get my collection of stones together and head into Lloyd and wait for CN registrations (only ones with blue and white flags flying)

There is a good chance then of Meath/London later in the championship then :D

Time to head home next weekend and get my collection of stones together and head into Lloyd and wait for CN registrations (only ones with blue and white flags flying)

There is a good chance then of Meath/London later in the championship then :D

Thankfully we have the M3 now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

[QUOTE=Stoner;85611584]I'm not from meath or cavan, but I know a lot of Meath people and imho cavan are not big rivals for them.

They hardly ever meet in the championship, where these things grow.

I'd say that in some order the top three would be Dublin, Cork and Kildare. I'd say that the cavan lads would be envious of the all Ireland successmeath have had in the last 20 or 30 years as they are neighbours, but I'd say it's mostly one way traffic.[/QUOTE]
    Thankfully we have the M3 now :D

Its easier to peg stones at ya off the motorway bridges and the motorway starts in Lloyd by the way :)

Ironically, even the mods are against you and rubbing it in regarding 97 and the "incident". (Stoner :) )

• Advertisement

macadam wrote: »
    Hunky Dory's V Tayto, should be plenty of CRISP football, with a few crunching tackles!!!

tumblr_m6c8toaQkW1ryj6qoo1_500.gif

Advertisement