Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Do ye think the crisp companies will be there on the day to hand out some free packets of crisps?

Wouldn't it be a great thing to happen? It would be a good advertisement for them and put a bit of salt and cheese and what have you in the supporter's mouths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

After watching the Tyrone game, I'm even more confident that we've a good chance against them.

Meath have every chance against Tyrone, who are overrated by a lot of observers including Spillane who still includes them in some mythical 'top 6'. The truth is there's 5 teams who can win the All-Ireland, Dublin, Donegal, Mayo, Kerry and Cork, and Tyrone are a bit short of that level.

They stumbled over the line against Roscommon and made hard work of beating a frustrating Kildare team who would win the All-Ireland every year if wides were counted as a positive.

As a Galwayman I have to accept that it will be a major surprise if Cork don't halt our gallop but I think the Meath v Tyrone game is wide open and could go either way. Tyrone slight favourites perhaps, but not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Neeson wrote: »
    Do ye think the crisp companies will be there on the day to hand out some free packets of crisps?

Wouldn't it be a great thing to happen? It would be a good advertisement for them and put a bit of salt and cheese and what have you in the supporter's mouths.

Largo Foods had their Tayto Park truck at the last two Meath games handing out free bags anyway.

I don't think people have actually realised on here that Largo also make Hunky Dorys!

I was at the factory tour in Tayto Park earlier this year and it'd be nearly hard to find a packet of crisps in a shop that Largo foods don't make!

http://www.largofoods.ie/our-brands/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

seen nothing last night that i would fear next saturday.the key is to keep sean cavanagh from running through and a good man marking job on oneill.if we can get biggy and eamonn wallace moving at pace we will have a serious shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

rpurfield wrote: »
    seen nothing last night that i would fear next saturday.the key is to keep sean cavanagh from running through and a good man marking job on oneill.if we can get biggy and eamonn wallace moving at pace we will have a serious shout.

Yea Tyrone didn't know what to do when kildare sped things up at the start of the 2nd half rather than the slow lethargic build up.

Tyrone 4/9 Meath 21/10 on PP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

5/2 on Boylesports.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Yeah seen nothing that would scare me, i would'nt be surprised if King is brought back in place of Burke, with Menton switching back to corner back to mark O'Neill, stopping Kavanagh running from midfield could be a slight problem cos Meado and Gillespie arnt the quickest but its only a slight worry, as the movement of our forwards and scoring threat can see us over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

NufcNavan wrote: »
    5/2 on Boylesports.

I'll have a bit of that, Tyrone were woeful again Kildare. If Meath play with the same hunger and create + score the chances they had v Dublin in the 1st half it will be very very close.

Might just stick a few quid on the auld rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

The bookies aren't fools, and pay big money for actuary etc. to get their prices right. They must have been in the boozer on Saturday evening.
    5/2 is irresistible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

11/4 we are in Ladbrokes. Really can't see how they're coming up with the odds for both teams. I know Tyrone are favourites but 1/3 in some places is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

11/4 we are in Ladbrokes. Really can't see how they're coming up with the odds for both teams. I know Tyrone are favourites but 1/3 in some places is crazy.
    Money on must have cut it low Agree 5/2, 11/4 is too generous on Meath No more than 2/1 about right

dont think its been put up but the cilles are holding a legends match friday night at seven, their own legends against an all stars one, looks like a good nights entertainment which i sadly wont get to because of work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

dont think its been put up but the cilles are holding a legends match friday night at seven, their own legends against an all stars one, looks like a good nights entertainment which i sadly wont get to because of work

Do you know who is playing, how to get tickets and how much they are? Can you pay at the gate?

Also are you talking about St. Colmcilles or Gael Colmcille?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Do you know who is playing, how to get tickets and how much they are? Can you pay at the gate?

Also are you talking about St. Colmcilles or Gael Colmcille?

Legends coming to St. Colmcilles 19 July 2013Former Meath stars Cormac Sullivan, Graham Geraghty, Martin O'Connell and Bernard Flynn will be in action at St Colmcilles next FridayLEGENDS XV vs ST COLMCILLES XV All roads lead to St Colmcilles next Friday 26h July when a host of Irelands' finest GAA stars take on the locals in a novel friendly match that should not be missed. Throw in at 7pm. A huge effort has gone in to bring some of the true legends of our games to Piltown and it will be a great opportunity for young and old to see these greats in action and importantly to mingle, get autographs and share stories and memories with them. It really does look like being a very memorable evening and if as expected the weather continues to be fine, it really will be one where great memories are formed Participants are a proverbial list of who's who with names like Dara O'Se, Seamus Moynihan (Kerry), Peter Canavan (Tyrone), Paul Bealin (Dublin), Declan Carr (Tipperary), John Mulhane (Waterford), Brian Lacey (Kildare), Bernard Flynn, Cormac Sullivan, Graham Geraghty, Martin O'Connell, Donal Curtis, Nigel Crawford(all Meath), Colin Kelly (Louth). More names will be added over the coming days and a few surprise players who won't be revealed until the night. There's quite a few Cilles "legends" too who will feature in this clash of the titans and no doubt bring a novel laugh or two to the proceedings 2013 marks the 25th anniversary of the Seasider's last Intermediate Championship success. Spearheaded by Robbie O'Malley and Bernard Flynn, the title went back to the Meath Coast after a 30 year gap but only after a replay. Dunderry were the opposition that day and featured a certain young dynamo by the name of Tommy Dowd who like O'Malley and Flynn would go on to achieve "legend" status. Dowd features for the Legend's XV on Friday and there's likely to be some savoury clashes there as 1988 is relived and replayed again Cormac Reilly has been given the unenviable task of referee for this one and its likely to be one of his more interesting assignments !!! With the good weather expected to last into next week a BBQ and refreshments will be on offer as the legendry St Colmcilles welcoming is rolled out to everyone. DON'T MISS OUT ON WHAT WILL SURELY BE ONE OF THE BEST NIGHTS OF THE YEAR. Admission is €10 - children under 16 are FREE and so it's great value for the family- it promises to The night will finish with refreshments and entertainment at Morans of Mornington. Tickets for the event are available from any of the committee members or from Brian Kelly on 086 3706857. CASH WILL ALSO BE TAKEN ON THE NIGHT See www.cilles.com for details. -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Quarter final draw to take place on Saturday at 8.30pm after our match.....not that I'm getting ahead of myself or anything

COYBIG

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Legends coming to St. Colmcilles 19 July 2013Former Meath stars Cormac Sullivan, Graham Geraghty, Martin O'Connell and Bernard Flynn will be in action at St Colmcilles next FridayLEGENDS XV vs ST COLMCILLES XV All roads lead to St Colmcilles next Friday 26h July when a host of Irelands' finest GAA stars take on the locals in a novel friendly match that should not be missed. Throw in at 7pm. A huge effort has gone in to bring some of the true legends of our games to Piltown and it will be a great opportunity for young and old to see these greats in action and importantly to mingle, get autographs and share stories and memories with them. It really does look like being a very memorable evening and if as expected the weather continues to be fine, it really will be one where great memories are formed Participants are a proverbial list of who's who with names like Dara O'Se, Seamus Moynihan (Kerry), Peter Canavan (Tyrone), Paul Bealin (Dublin), Declan Carr (Tipperary), John Mulhane (Waterford), Brian Lacey (Kildare), Bernard Flynn, Cormac Sullivan, Graham Geraghty, Martin O'Connell, Donal Curtis, Nigel Crawford(all Meath), Colin Kelly (Louth). More names will be added over the coming days and a few surprise players who won't be revealed until the night. There's quite a few Cilles "legends" too who will feature in this clash of the titans and no doubt bring a novel laugh or two to the proceedings 2013 marks the 25th anniversary of the Seasider's last Intermediate Championship success. Spearheaded by Robbie O'Malley and Bernard Flynn, the title went back to the Meath Coast after a 30 year gap but only after a replay. Dunderry were the opposition that day and featured a certain young dynamo by the name of Tommy Dowd who like O'Malley and Flynn would go on to achieve "legend" status. Dowd features for the Legend's XV on Friday and there's likely to be some savoury clashes there as 1988 is relived and replayed again Cormac Reilly has been given the unenviable task of referee for this one and its likely to be one of his more interesting assignments !!! With the good weather expected to last into next week a BBQ and refreshments will be on offer as the legendry St Colmcilles welcoming is rolled out to everyone. DON'T MISS OUT ON WHAT WILL SURELY BE ONE OF THE BEST NIGHTS OF THE YEAR. Admission is €10 - children under 16 are FREE and so it's great value for the family- it promises to The night will finish with refreshments and entertainment at Morans of Mornington. Tickets for the event are available from any of the committee members or from Brian Kelly on 086 3706857. CASH WILL ALSO BE TAKEN ON THE NIGHT See www.cilles.com for details. -

cheers man i didnt exactly fill my post with detail!!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Surprised there hasn't been much chat on here about Saturdays match at all. The Cavan thread by comparison is a hive of activity! Meath v Tyrone is surely the pick of all the Rd 4 qualifiers!

I for one am relatively positive going into the game. Tyrone will be favorites and rightly so but I feel that the game will be tight right to the end. If that's the case there's as much chance we could shave it as not. It's fair to say that Meath have improved on every game we've played this championship. We ran out of steam against Dublin in the last 10-15 minutes but there were positives to come out of that game, the intensity we brought and the players attitude in particular IMO. People on here have said that Tyrone did not play overly well against Kildare so perhaps if Mick O'Dowd can get another 10 or 20% worth of further improvement out of the teams we'll be well on our way to getting into the Quarters I hope.

Only thing that's troubling me really is that we have been unable to score goals, Kevin Reilly's fluke aside we haven't scored any! We made a couple of good goal chances against Dublin but the finishing was poor and it is quite possible that if we scored at least one of them we could have beaten Dublin. Another issue is when we were on top in the first half against Dublin we had a few poor wides that we really could have done with scoring. Do we rely too much on Newman's frees and Graham Reilly from play to get scores?

I don't expect there to be too many changes on the team from the Leinster final, possibly Mickey Burke dropped but I would rather him play than Caoimhin King tbh. I would like to see how Eamon Wallace does on the half forward line where his pace would be more effective but don't expect to see that on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Surprised there hasn't been much chat on here about Saturdays match at all. The Cavan thread by comparison is a hive of activity! Meath v Tyrone is surely the pick of all the Rd 4 qualifiers!

I for one am relatively positive going into the game. Tyrone will be favorites and rightly so but I feel that the game will be tight right to the end. If that's the case there's as much chance we could shave it as not. It's fair to say that Meath have improved on every game we've played this championship. We ran out of steam against Dublin in the last 10-15 minutes but there were positives to come out of that game, the intensity we brought and the players attitude in particular IMO. People on here have said that Tyrone did not play overly well against Kildare so perhaps if Mick O'Dowd can get another 10 or 20% worth of further improvement out of the teams we'll be well on our way to getting into the Quarters I hope.

Only thing that's troubling me really is that we have been unable to score goals, Kevin Reilly's fluke aside we haven't scored any! We made a couple of good goal chances against Dublin but the finishing was poor and it is quite possible that if we scored at least one of them we could have beaten Dublin. Another issue is when we were on top in the first half against Dublin we had a few poor wides that we really could have done with scoring. Do we rely too much on Newman's frees and Graham Reilly from play to get scores?

I don't expect there to be too many changes on the team from the Leinster final, possibly Mickey Burke dropped but I would rather him play than Caoimhin King tbh. I would like to see how Eamon Wallace does on the half forward line where his pace would be more effective but don't expect to see that on Saturday.
    Iv noticed with other sprinter background players that they are unsuited to middle third of pitch Stats showed you need to cover way more distance in a game when operating at half forward v full forward I could never understand Kerry playing Darren OSullivan out there Guys like that are built for short fast bursts with plenty recovery

Quietly confident for Saturday. As you said Tyrone are deservedly favourites, but I don't think whey have anything that we can't handle if we put our minds to it. I'm very glad we have the two week break this year as I know at least one of the players was still feeling the effects of the Dublin game last weekend.

The lack of goals worries me as well. We had a couple of chances against Wicklow (bar Reilly's which can't really be considered a chance), none that I can remember against Wexford and a handful against Dublin yet have taken none of them. Not really sure what the reason is for this.
    Another thing is the inevitable surging runs by Seán Cavanagh from midfield. For far too long teams have ran straight through our defence with little or no challenge, and if we don't tighten up then Cavanagh will definitely take advantage (see his goal against us in 2007 for example).

Breaking ball in midfield will be massive I think. I've actually noticed a massive improvement over the last two games in that both Meade and Gillespie seem think about where they're breaking the ball to rather than just punch or slap it in any direction. The likes of Peader and Seamus are gonna have to be fearless when going for the breaks as well.

As usual, the optimism in me going into a big game is worrying me. But I do think we have a very good chance of making the quarter finals. I'd actually prefer this game to Laois or Cavan where we'd probably be favourites. But whatever happens, I think the signs are encouraging for us in the coming seasons. I just hope Micko gets another two years at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

If i could rate each line of our team i would go:

Keeper 8/10
    Full Back line: 8/10
    Half Back line: 5.5/10
    Midfield: 7.5/10
    Half Forward line: 6.5/10
    Full Forward line: 7.5/10

I thinks it a reasonably fair assessment of us as a team. Micky Bourke is just not mobile enough and for me needs to be dropped. Options are not great on the bench either though. Midfield were very good against Dublin but seemed to tire a small bit in the second half. If we can break 50/50 with their half forwards/backs in terms of breaking ball from kick outs i think we can win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

I agree mostly with your assessment vapor trail, it's probably about right. I still think I would rather Burke on the field than King however as I do not see where the replacement is at this time.

Midfield will most likely be where this match will be won and lost. Meade and Gillespie have quite rightly been praised for their performances in the leinster final but it is not all that long ago that midfield was one of our main areas of concern. That these two players were just not good enough. If they can play as well as they did against Dublin we will be hard to beat. Though if we are to win I can see us needing goals! I hope Wallace and Bray in particular are getting shooting practice in! The one where Wallace tried to chip Cluxton just showed his inexperience more than anything.

The sub's bench is probably our weakest line atm and this showed against Dublin. We brought on Joe Sheridan who floundered somewhat and hasn't shown himself to be near his best while the dubs brought on Denis Bastick who turned the midfield battle which they were losing up till that point in their favour.

I would hope that this will change in the next few years. MOD I feel instead of completely ousting all the older players has wisely gone for a slower transition which will see new younger faces on the scene in the next few years. Pauric Harnan and Eamon Wallace both have done well having effectively made the jump straight up from minor. So I would expect to see a few more of the recent minors and U-21s coming up in the next couple of years.

What happened to that O'Sullivan lad who was with the minors last year does anyone know? Thought he was the best player on that team.

If i could rate each line of our team i would go:

Keeper 8/10
    Full Back line: 8/10
    Half Back line: 5.5/10
    Midfield: 7.5/10
    Half Forward line: 6.5/10
    Full Forward line: 7.5/10

I thinks it a reasonably fair assessment of us as a team. Micky Bourke is just not mobile enough and for me needs to be dropped. Options are not great on the bench either though. Midfield were very good against Dublin but seemed to tire a small bit in the second half. If we can break 50/50 with their half forwards/backs in terms of breaking ball from kick outs i think we can win.

thats a pretty fair assessment alright, half back line really is our weak point.id still move bryan menton out there and possibly play davy dalton in the corner.

hopefully we can replicate the first half of the dublin game and be a bit more clinical, id be half worried that the performance was down to the lads being fired up against the neighbours.id also worry that our midfield wont cope with the pace of sean cavanagh either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In case anyone is interested, Big Joe is doing a Q&A on our twitter tomorrow at 1pm - he'll be logged into @GAALive, if you want to ask him something just tweet us with #AskJoe.

Joe in for Peadar at full forward. Bray moves out to the corner with Wallace at half forward. I'm sure Micko has his reasons and I'll reserve judgement til Saturday night but that doesn't seem like the best of moves to be honest. Tyrone are well equipped to deal with high balls into the full forward line which Joe excels at. He's also wasted when he comes further out tihe field due to his lack of speed. Not sure what Peadar's done to be dropped either.

Could be a masterstroke in the end but I'm not as confident as I was last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Joe in for Peadar?

If I hadn't seen a game all year I would understand it.
    This in my opinion is a big call, Peadar has been playing well and Joe looked well of the pace so far this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

whatnext wrote: »
    Joe in for Peadar?

If I hadn't seen a game all year I would understand it.
    This in my opinion is a big call, Peadar has been playing well and Joe looked well of the pace so far this year

Is this a big of gamemanship and Peadar Byrne will actually start or does O'Dowd go into that kind of stuff?? Bold move if its not

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Joe in for Peadar at full forward. Bray moves out to the corner with Wallace at half forward. I'm sure Micko has his reasons and I'll reserve judgement til Saturday night but that doesn't seem like the best of moves to be honest. Tyrone are well equipped to deal with high balls into the full forward line which Joe excels at. He's also wasted when he comes further out tihe field due to his lack of speed. Not sure what Peadar's done to be dropped either.

Could be a masterstroke in the end but I'm not as confident as I was last night.

Joe was very poor against the Dubs when he came on. Peadar is very industrious. Gets through alot of work which the team will miss IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

keane2097 wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested, Big Joe is doing a Q&A on our twitter tomorrow at 1pm - he'll be logged into @GAALive, if you want to ask him something just tweet us with #AskJoe.

This is going on at the moment just so ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Very surprised with Joes inclusion, its either a dummy team which I doubt or MOD has a new tactical plan which I hope doesnt involve booting it up to the FF line and hoping Joe plucks everyone of them from the sky. His fielding even for easy low balls hasnt been breat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Peadar did well against the Dub's, personally I would have in the HF line just for his ability to win breaking ball, would be worried that we might not win enough possession around the middle third without him. Also, I don't think Joe has done enough in games so far to warrant inclusion, but hopefully, if this is the team, then Mick has his homework done and has a plan to exploit a weakness in the Tyrone back line.

Advertisement