Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Lemlin wrote: »
    I don't know how true it is but I'm hearing he's not interested in joining the Meath panel. I have a good few friends up round there and that's what they reckon they've heard anyway.

Would be great to see O'Rourke back fighting fit. Has he a younger brother also coming through the ranks?
    Disappointing but not surprising if it's true. I'm assuming he's only in Meath for work related reasons and is with Dunboyne to keep playing football. You can't blame him if he doesn't want to put the time and effort into intercounty training for a county that's not his own.

Not sure to be honest if Shane O'Rourke has a younger brother. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

Brian Meade will be out for an extended period after injuring his cruciate ligament against Skryne last weekend.
    Gutted for him. Had possibly his best year in a Meath jersey and was motoring along nicely with Rathkenny in the championship. Even more important that Shane O'Rourke is fit enough for the county team when the league comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

http://www.hoganstand.com/Meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=199457

7 goals in a senior match.
    Quite an impressive haul. Got to be some sort of record.

whatnext wrote: »
    http://www.hoganstand.com/Meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=199457

7 goals in a senior match.
    Quite an impressive haul. Got to be some sort of record.

That's some haul. Anyone know what age Mickey Cole is? I remember him scoring a goal to beat Laois in the 2002 Leinster championship and looking back through Wikipedia, he scored 1-2 in an All Ireland Quarter Final against Antrim in 1993. He must be well into his late 30s at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

That's some haul. Anyone know what age Mickey Cole is? I remember him scoring a goal to beat Laois in the 2002 Leinster championship and looking back through Wikipedia, he scored 1-2 in an All Ireland Quarter Final against Antrim in 1993. He must be well into his late 30s at least.

Says he's 39 in the article

• Advertisement

OiOshawott wrote: »
    Says he's 39 in the article
    I should really learn to read.
    Some going from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I seen Biggy tweeting today hes running a halloween football camp in the cilles on the mid term in october https://twitter.com/ReillyGraham/status/371918808341942272/photo/1 thats the poster, if anyone is looking rid of the kids for a week!!!

Last weekend of the group stages in the Senior, Intermediate and Junior championships.

SFC Tables
    IFC Tables
    JFC Tables

O'Mahony's are already through in Group A in the Senior. Seneschalstown will probably join them as well as the winners of the Moynalvey - Duleek game. Skryne, Rathkenny and Summerhill got through in group B (unfortunately for rpurfield, St. Pat's went out on head to head). Surprising to see Donaghmore/Ashbourne go out with a whimper. Think they were one of the favourites behind O'Mahonys.
    Still anyone's game in Group C with the final games tomorrow.

In the IFC, Ratoath got through to the quarter finals on Thursday with Castletown. Castletown play St. Colmcilles and Ratoath play the winners of Gaeil Colmcille and Don/Ash's second team. Surprisingly, Clann na nGael go straight into the semi final after coming top of Group A with Dunderry and St. Michaels in the quarter finals.

Going by recent form, it'd be surprising if at least one of Drumbaragh or Kilmainham don't go up to Intermediate (the two finalists go up again this year). If they are drawn together before the final, I'd say Cortown or Bective will fancy their chances.

Anyone head to any games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

O'Mahonys beat Walterstown 4-21 to 1-6

OiOshawott wrote: »
    O'Mahonys beat Walterstown 4-21 to 1-6
    With David Bray scoring 1-5. I'd love to see him back to the form he showed before his two cruciate injuries.

Kells beat Donaghmore Ashbourne in the IFC so the quarter finals are:
    St. Colmcilles v St. Michaels (winner plays Clann na nGael in the semi)
    Castletown v Dunderry
    Ratoath v Gaeil Colmcille

Today's senior games (all in group C) are:
    Dunshaughlin v Blackhall Gaels
    Wolfe Tones v Dunboyne
    Na Fianna v Simonstown

Each team has a chance of progressing and any of the teams could conceivably be knocked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

With David Bray scoring 1-5. I'd love to see him back to the form he showed before his two cruciate injuries.

Kells beat Donaghmore Ashbourne in the IFC so the quarter finals are:
    St. Colmcilles v St. Michaels (winner plays Clann na nGael in the semi)
    Castletown v Dunderry

Today's senior games (all in group C) are:
    Dunshaughlin v Blackhall Gaels
    Wolfe Tones v Dunboyne
    Na Fianna v Simonstown

Each team has a chance of progressing and any of the teams could conceivably be knocked out.

Intermediate championship in particular is wide open, you only need look at how the standings in group A were completely changed after last round of fixtures. A lot of the teams are equally good (or equally poor depending on how you look at it).

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Intermediate championship in particular is wide open, you only need look at how the standings in group A were completely changed after last round of fixtures. A lot of the teams are equally good (or equally poor depending on how you look at it).
    I think it's between the two Colmcilles and Ratoath personally. Athboy did well to top Group A but can't see them having enough, especially if McAnarney is out for them.

Few mad results today in the SFC. Big wins for Na Fianna and Blackhall Gaels. Wolfe Tones just scraped through against Dunboyne. Dunboyne just clung on to third place from Blackhall though. Na Fianna look like they could be the only team to challenge NOM this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hibbeler wrote: »

Alot of people I know from clubs like Drumbaragh and Kilmainham reckon the junior teams in Meath are every bit as good as most intermediate teams and there's very little between the two grades.

Alot of people I know from clubs like Drumbaragh and Kilmainham reckon the junior teams in Meath are every bit as good as most intermediate teams and there's very little between the two grades.
    It's well known that the better junior teams would comfortably survive in Intermediate. I can't remember if there's been a team in the last 10 years or so that hasn't survived in their first season at least in Intermediate. Some (Wolfe Tones, St. Ultan's, Moynalvey) went up to senior not too long after winning junior.
    Conversely, the teams relegated from the IFC recently (e.g. Drumconrath, Kilmainhamwood and Cortown) have generally struggled in the junior championship. The likes of Kilmainham, Drumbaragh and probably Bective would comfortably survive in Intermediate. Ballivor, Carnaross and Longwood would most likely struggle in Junior and are lucky there's no relegation.

SFC Quarter Finals
    Summerhill/Dunboyne v Navan O'Mahony's
    Rathkenny v Seneschalstown
    Skryne v Wolfe Tones
    Na Fianna v Moynalvey

SFC Relegation Playoff
    Loser of Nobber/Oldcastle v Dunshaughlin

IFC Quarter Finals
    St. Colmcilles v St. Michaels (winner plays Clann na nGael)
    Dunderry v Castletown

JFC Quarter Finals
    Drumbaragh v Meath Hill
    Cortown v Drumconrath
    Kilmainham v Dunshaughlin
    Dunboyne v Bective

JFC Relegation Playoff
    Trim v Kilbride
    Duleek/Bellewstown v Simonstown

Hoping Kilbride can somehow survive relegation. It wouldn't be good if another first team goes down to Junior B.

SFC Quarter Finals
    Summerhill/Dunboyne v Navan O'Mahony's
    Rathkenny v Seneschalstown
    Skryne v Wolfe Tones
    Na Fianna v Moynalvey

SFC Relegation Playoff
    Loser of Nobber/Oldcastle v Dunshaughlin

IFC Quarter Finals
    St. Colmcilles v St. Michaels (winner plays Clann na nGael)
    Dunderry v Castletown

JFC Quarter Finals
    Drumbaragh v Meath Hill
    Cortown v Drumconrath
    Kilmainham v Dunshaughlin
    Dunboyne v Bective

JFC Relegation Playoff
    Trim v Kilbride
    Duleek/Bellewstown v Simonstown

Hoping Kilbride can somehow survive relegation. It wouldn't be good if another first team goes down to Junior B.

Kilbride - known in Dunboyne as the poor side of the parish!!

Kilbride - known in Dunboyne as the poor side of the parish!!
    Quite an achievement to have three more senior championships than the 'rich' side of the parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Quite an achievement to have three more senior championships than the 'rich' side of the parish.

Nice one Hammer. The mighty Quinns. But we'll forgive him this time. What's your club anyway, Lemlin ?

Won't hear a bad word said about Kilbride. Went to primary school there and if it wasn't for the fact that they had no underage teams back then, I probably would have played with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

a lot of the one sided games in the sfc were involving one team with something to play for and one who didnt. i seriously think the championships need to be turned into a mirror of the all ireland championship with a back door, its done in the dublin championships, maybe itd bring a bit of bite back to the county team too

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    Nice one Hammer. The mighty Quinns. But we'll forgive him this time. What's your club anyway, Lemlin ?

I'm a Cavan man. I regularly watch the three Kells-based teams though in Meath - Drimbaragh, Gael Colmcille and Kilmainham.

rpurfield wrote: »
    a lot of the one sided games in the sfc were involving one team with something to play for and one who didnt. i seriously think the championships need to be turned into a mirror of the all ireland championship with a back door, its done in the dublin championships, maybe itd bring a bit of bite back to the county team too

Agreed with this, seems to be a problem across all meath championships. a team should not in general be in a position where it can afford to field a second team to get a big beating or give a walkover in the championship (as has happened in the IFC this year).

I belive the system mentioned by you rpurfield is used in a number of counties so should be considered. People suggest bringing in a 'champions league' format for inter county championships but need only look at the meath club championships to see how it would not work imo. Only thing is the current format gives clubs a number of championship games so i dont think we will see change soon, especially with the income generated.

Perhaps if there was more than 1 up 1 down between the grades and a greater chance of relegation would force clubs to put more effort to avoid relegation places

I'm a Cavan man. I regularly watch the three Kells-based teams though in Meath - Drimbaragh, Gael Colmcille and Kilmainham.

We know that Lemlin. What's your club in Cavan ?. I've Cootehill connections, so be careful :)

Won't hear a bad word said about Kilbride. Went to primary school there and if it wasn't for the fact that they had no underage teams back then, I probably would have played with them.

Will my beloved St. Pats Athletic bottle it ?. ( Just straying away from GAA matters for a moment ).

mattser wrote: »
    Will my beloved St. Pats Athletic bottle it ?. ( Just straying away from GAA matters for a moment ).
    Ye will win it I think mattser. I'd love to see Dundalk do it, but don't think their run will last.

What's everyone's thoughts on the prices of the championship quarter finals? From Junior D up to senior, the county board are charging a tenner a head. Seems a ridiculous price. Especially for Junior QFs.

Also, very best of luck to the minor hurlers who play Kerry in the All Ireland MHC B final in Nenagh tomorrow at 3pm.

Ye will win it I think mattser. I'd love to see Dundalk do it, but don't think their run will last.

What's everyone's thoughts on the prices of the championship quarter finals? From Junior D up to senior, the county board are charging a tenner a head. Seems a ridiculous price. Especially for Junior QFs.

Also, very best of luck to the minor hurlers who play Kerry in the All Ireland MHC B final in Nenagh tomorrow at 3pm.

It's a tenner a head for all games in Cavan from first round.

I find Meath remarkably cheap in that regard. I've often been to games (intermediate and junior) where a car load just pays a tenner.

Cavan has a totally different setup though. We have stands and don't allow cars in round the pitches.

Argh Eamonn Wallace red carded in the league final tonight for.... something. Unless he wins an appeal, he'll be out for a month.

Minor hurlers lost to Kerry in the All Ireland B final by 1-19 to 3-9. Hard luck to them.

Some results in the championships this weekend:
    Both favourites for the Intermediate, St. Colmcilles and Ratoath knocked out. Rathkenny beating Seneschalstown and, most shockingly, Summerhill beating O'Mahony's in the Senior. Weather today really played havoc with the games. It was nigh on impossible to play football in the conditions.

• Advertisement

Some results in the championships this weekend:
    Both favourites for the Intermediate, St. Colmcilles and Ratoath knocked out. Rathkenny beating Seneschalstown and, most shockingly, Summerhill beating O'Mahony's in the Senior. Weather today really played havoc with the games. It was nigh on impossible to play football in the conditions.

Very interesting, anyones guess as to who might win either championship now! I wouldn't want to even try and guess at this stage. Would like to see the neighbours rathkenny and castletown do well though

Advertisement