Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

klong wrote: »
    A fulltime official in charge of GAA strategy (and one with actual powers, by the way!) would be a good start I think. Adopt best practice from other counties (and other codes if neccessary) and use them to our advantage.

Unfortunately I'm living outside the county now and so wouldn't have the ear to the ground as much. What other ideas would do the business, folks?

I am not living in Meath either, another emigree. Listening to friends and reading other peoples comments, one thing that does not appear to have changed is how to progress players from the juvenile board, to the minor board. This was an issue many years ago, good players were lost between 14 and 18 because imo, there was no connection between the juvenile and minor boards, which meant that trainers and selectors of successful underage county teams, passed them onto the minor board, who then put in place their own trainers and selectors.
    Living down the country now and have been mixed up coaching in the underage structure of a county that is now beginning imo to reap the benefits of progressing players through the grades all the way through to minor with much the same familiar faces, especially when they have been successful. There are some downsides to this type of policy, but that is for another debate.
    Living on our history, which it looks like we have been doing is going to eventually leave us in a place like Cavan have been for 70 years, even they appear to be striving to change old practices, we are standing still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

HERGAA_HS_441527_1039360t.jpg

'I destroyed Meath Football'

1288174908barney-allen.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

so apparently the players have failed to step up to the mark(as usual) because some of them want banty in and some want him gone they wont issue a statement.what a shower of spineless yokes we have wearing the jersey now, theyre not even united in this one way or another.who would want to manage them their obviously out to look after themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

rpurfield wrote: »
    so apparently the players have failed to step up to the mark(as usual) because some of them want banty in and some want him gone they wont issue a statement.what a shower of spineless yokes we have wearing the jersey now, theyre not even united in this one way or another.who would want to manage them their obviously out to look after themselves

Why should they all have the same opinion of him, surely it is better than having 30 sheep, who just row in with the majority??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Nice sweeping generalisation there. They should be applauded for not all following the crowd. I'm sure they will be delighted to know their fellow countyman's opinion of them.

• Advertisement

to be honest, whether they support him or not does not matter a damn, as the clubs will vote Banty out tomorrow night.

By the way, the picture of Barney and the comment underneath is a bit low, to blame him for all our ills is unfair. A nicer man you could not meet, that he is in the position he is, has more to do with who is around him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The least the players could have done is released a statement acknowledging their part in the degradation of the team, there's no way that the players are nine points worse than Louth and they have to accept that the input from the players to begin with is not good enough.

draffodx wrote: »
    The least the players could have done is released a statement acknowledging their part in the degradation of the team, there's no way that the players are nine points worse than Louth and they have to accept that the input from the players to begin with is not good enough.

Thats too wide a generalisation. If the tactics are sh1te you can understand players losing interest or getting frustrated to some extent. Our best asset for the last few years has been our forwards and Banty decided to dismantle that with negative tactics. Its too easy to state that players have less interest, I for one dont agree with that, if that was the case they would not tog out for the county in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I am not living in Meath either, another emigree. Listening to friends and reading other peoples comments, one thing that does not appear to have changed is how to progress players from the juvenile board, to the minor board. This was an issue many years ago, good players were lost between 14 and 18 because imo, there was no connection between the juvenile and minor boards, which meant that trainers and selectors of successful underage county teams, passed them onto the minor board, who then put in place their own trainers and selectors.
    Living down the country now and have been mixed up coaching in the underage structure of a county that is now beginning imo to reap the benefits of progressing players through the grades all the way through to minor with much the same familiar faces, especially when they have been successful. There are some downsides to this type of policy, but that is for another debate.
    Living on our history, which it looks like we have been doing is going to eventually leave us in a place like Cavan have been for 70 years, even they appear to be striving to change old practices, we are standing still.

Meath definitely seem to have a problem at underage level. I live close to the Meath border and attend a few games for clubs like Drumbaragh, Carnaross, Gaeil Colmcille (Kells), Kilmainham, The Michaels and Navan O'Mahoneys.

A few things have struck me:

1. The Meath senior club championship is a far better standard of football than the Cavan senior championship but the junior and intermediate levels are weak. I've been shocked to see the likes of Carnaross and Gael Colmcille reach intermediate finals, they just aren't good teams.

2. The younger players making the Meath minor and U21 panels just aren't good enough. I may be biased but I've seen lads who wouldn't make the Cavan minor or U21 benches, let alone team, in the starting 15 for Meath at underage level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The best thing to do is let Banty and the players thrash it out. Obviously there is something amiss within Meath football, but is a new senior manager going to resolve these in the month he would have before the championship starts? I don't think so.
    The way this is being handled is a disgrace. They're putting Sean Boylans name out there in order to sway peoples decision to vote Banty out tonight. I haven't seen Boylan say he would take the job if it was on offer.

Also leave out the personal attacks and pictures stating "I ruined Meath football" its not funny or fair to attack someone when they're not in a position to defend themself.

All in all I hope Banty gets to stay for the championship,Meath win Leinster and we have 5 all - stars

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    Meath definitely seem to have a problem at underage level. I live close to the Meath border and attend a few games for clubs like Drumbaragh, Carnaross, Gaeil Colmcille (Kells), Kilmainham, The Michaels and Navan O'Mahoneys.

1. The Meath senior club championship is a far better standard of football than the Cavan senior championship but the junior and intermediate levels are weak. I've been shocked to see the likes of Carnaross and Gael Colmcille reach intermediate finals, they just aren't good teams.

2. The younger players making the Meath minor and U21 panels just aren't good enough. I may be biased but I've seen lads who wouldn't make the Cavan minor or U21 benches, let alone team, in the starting 15 for Meath at underage level.
    Unfortunately they are the best we have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Lemlin wrote: »

I'd disagree with point 1. Personally, I think our senior championship is of an extremely poor standard recently. The last team to make it to a Leinster final was Skryne in 2004 I think. On the contrary I think the Meath Junior club scene is the strongest in Leinster at least. Over the past 10 years, the Meath Junior champions have won the Leinster championship every year but two although have usually failed once they get out of Leinster apart from the great Wolfe Tones team.
    The Meath Junior championship is notoriously difficult to get out of as there are several decent teams down there and (up until last year) only one team got promoted. This means that if you get promoted to Intermediate, you've got a great chance to go up to senior (as Ultans, Moynalvey and Wolfe Tones did recently) but if you get relegated to Junior, you have a hell of a hard time getting out of it as my club found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

By the way, the picture of Barney and the comment underneath is a bit low, to blame him for all our ills is unfair. A nicer man you could not meet, that he is in the position he is, has more to do with who is around him imo.

Agreed, that post shows a serious lack of class IMO.

I'd disagree with point 1. Personally, I think our senior championship is of an extremely poor standard recently. The last team to make it to a Leinster final was Skryne in 2004 I think. On the contrary I think the Meath Junior club scene is the strongest in Leinster at least. Over the past 10 years, the Meath Junior champions have won the Leinster championship every year but two although have usually failed once they get out of Leinster apart from the great Wolfe Tones team.
    The Meath Junior championship is notoriously difficult to get out of as there are several decent teams down there and (up until last year) only one team got promoted. This means that if you get promoted to Intermediate, you've got a great chance to go up to senior (as Ultans, Moynalvey and Wolfe Tones did recently) but if you get relegated to Junior, you have a hell of a hard time getting out of it as my club found out.
    Don't forget Donaghmore/Ashbourne got to the All Ireland intermediate semi final against Fingal Ravens a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

Personally, I would be more than happy to see Sean back, maybe 7 years is too long away, but if nothing else, he will inject a bit of steel into our play and hopefully into the panel. In saying that, all remnants of the last regime need to go, including Geraghty. Hopefully Sean can bring the likes of Harnan on board. I am sure that Sean will see this as a proud Meathman coming in to help out his county in a short term capacity.

I don't know.
    People tend to have a sort of selective memory.
    From the 2001 All Ireland final defeat through to his exit there wasn't a lot of steel or a whole lot to cheer about. The managers that followed did manage to bring Meath to a couple of All Ireland Semis.

It seems that despite the apparent support from the players, Banty is not getting the best out of the current bunch - so far anyway.
    Just wondering if say McGeeney was available tomorrow, would he be an acceptable choice or has it to be a Meathman for ever and ever.

Remember Banty was a sort of a logical choice as in fairness he had got probably the max out of a decent enough Monaghan squad.

Liverpool fans who clamoured for the return of King Kenny know that it doesn't always work.

keane2097 wrote: »

You cant handle the truth I take it.

i came back on to take back part of what i said about the panel as it was reported wrong in the papers, but honestly folks that had a pop at me for my last post, are we in a situation were were not allowed speak ill of the players?ive knocked around a hell of a lot of meath teams since i started going to games and ive never seen a team not try until that louth game.thats not bantys fault.sure the tactics were horribly wrong and i hate seeing us playing handpass after handpass, but regardless of tactics or even lack of ability id expect the team to have some pride, especially against louth, and try.maybe i was being sweeping but theres a hell of a lot of wanna be celebrities around that panel and its their lack of desire for the shirt thats hanging the management, and even the players who do give it their all, out to dry.

on another note, i honestly think the county board will not get their two thirds majority tonight.if thats the case surely to god the executive becomes untenable and im praying that some of the club delegates have the bottle to point that out if we get to that situation.

changing tack yet again have ye read trevor giles in the examiner the other day?great read and completly spot on i think. http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/trevor-giles/time-to-get-the-basics-right-190539.html

Allen the Machiavellian

1307_ballen_sports__627262t.jpg

for the Love of Meath, go Barney, go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

So Banty stays, a decision I don't mind as long as the disaster of losing to Louth means proper changes are afoot.

i came back on to take back part of what i said about the panel as it was reported wrong in the papers, but honestly folks that had a pop at me for my last post, are we in a situation were were not allowed speak ill of the players?ive knocked around a hell of a lot of meath teams since i started going to games and ive never seen a team not try until that louth game.thats not bantys fault.sure the tactics were horribly wrong and i hate seeing us playing handpass after handpass, but regardless of tactics or even lack of ability id expect the team to have some pride, especially against louth, and try.maybe i was being sweeping but theres a hell of a lot of wanna be celebrities around that panel and its their lack of desire for the shirt thats hanging the management, and even the players who do give it their all, out to dry.

on another note, i honestly think the county board will not get their two thirds majority tonight.if thats the case surely to god the executive becomes untenable and im praying that some of the club delegates have the bottle to point that out if we get to that situation.

changing tack yet again have ye read trevor giles in the examiner the other day?great read and completly spot on i think. http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/trevor-giles/time-to-get-the-basics-right-190539.html

An honest comment from a true Meath gentleman.

Its sounds like the knifes are out after tonight for the County Board.

• Advertisement

Well thank God!!!!!!!!!
    Common sense finnally prevailed. Very happy with the result last night. The treatment of Banty by the county board was a disgrace. I think they've left themselves in a position were they have to step down.

A really good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

my friend wrote: »
    You cant handle the truth I take it.

Makes no odds to me - I'm from Kerry - but you're making yourself look classless IMO, that's all.

Makes no odds to me - I'm from Kerry - but you're making yourself look classless IMO, that's all.
    100% agreed. I am from Meath and this is classless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Couldnt agree more tbh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Agree completely. I'm not saying Barney shouldn't take some responsibility (along with others) for the mess we're in but posting the stuff that's been posted isn't on.
    And the man himself is a lovely guy. In fact the vast majority (if not all) the county board are genuinely nice people. Just last year I was doing fundraising and had a Meath jersey I wanted to be signed by the team for auction. Thinking I was chancing my arm emailing the County Board asking if they could help, I was emailed back to drop the jersey into Navan and they'd get the players to sign it after training. Had the jersey signed by the entire team back within the next two weeks.

Anyway, despite my immediate reaction directly after the Louth game, I'm pleased Banty is being given the rest of the season to try and rectify the mess. I might be being delusional, but hopefully this whole episode will be looked back on in the future as the beginning of the recovery of Meath football.

just one point about barney folks, his five years is up at the end of this year so well have a new county board chairman anyway. i agree with what has been said the man is a complete gentleman, ive had dealings with him from refereeing and met him a few times when id be at games with my father, as hes the clubs county board delegate i wouldnt say a bad word against him as a person but he was never cut out to be county board chairman.thinking back i kinda remember some sort of a kickback against dempsey over something and thats hows barney got the job.

anyway ill be in carlow may 27th roaring the lads on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

How long (cumulatively) have the members of the county board served on the board?

How many positions are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seanboylan87

draffodx wrote: »
    I agree, going back to Boylan isn't the best solution and that Meath even the players themselves, in fact maybe more so and thats the problem believe that they simply have a right to be a big name team, it's been evident for a few years now that a lot of the players have more interest in themselves being semi celebrity types than in putting their heart and soul into playing for the County.

Boylan instilled steel into all his teams and that's the first ingredient we need to get back if we're not going to be embarrassed in the championship.

MOD EDIT:<SNIP>

• Advertisement

MOD EDIT:<SNIP>

Hmmmmm, that was quite a rant wasn't it,

Lets hope that this starts a serious discussion on the state of Meath Football and that plans are put in place to improve our standing.
    Anyway, time to stand together and back Banty and the boys and put all this crap behind us :)

Advertisement