Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Meath got relegated to division 3 aswell 2 years ago, but woe befell any man who dared use that to suggest Meath were a bad team, they were hit with a barrage of abuse and disagreement from over defensive Meath supporters.

I think too many people cant see cold facts and their brains are stuck in the late 90's. Kildare, Laois, Tyrone and Armagh have knocked us out these last 5 seasons, and on each occasion I've rarely heard anyone from Meath say that we were beaten by a team better than us. Apparently we're better than all those teams, but in that case why do we lose to them so often? Kildare and Laois have gotten a bit worse lately but we've found new teams to lose to.

People are looking at the Donegal game and thinking "why not us?". They'd be dead right if they meant it in the sense of "If we work hard we can achieve big things". But from what I can see, most people mean it in the sense of "DONEGAL?! Donegal are no better than Meath, we too should be decisively beating Dublin".

Before the semi final, Donegal were maybe ranked 3rd in the country. The 3rd best team in the country beating the top team isnt a major major shock when you look at it, but it seems to have everyone from the 4th to maybe 15th best counties reckoning they can do it too. Its ambitious to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Armagh were clearly the better team than we were this year, you only have to follow their form line through the summer. Saying they only beat us because they were better organised is doing them a disservice. They were better organised but the training and attention to detail they put in to achieve that makes them a better team. Plus they kept our danger man quiet enough and we had no one else really step up. We kept Jamie Clarke to a Point(I think) and his team mates stepped up.

Theres certainly no reason why we couldn't do something like Donegal are doing, but it would require someone with the sheer drive of Jim McGuinness and a team with a similar mindset to do it, which I don't think we havem sadly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

After the game in Navan, I would have said we were the better team. But that changed after Croke Park. And obviously Armagh have come closest to beating Donegal so far (though I do believe Dublin would have beaten them easily).
    As rpurfield said, we don;t seem to have a team of players to give the commitment and drive to take us to the next level. We certainly have some players who do, but there are players who seem to take being on the panel for granted.

Anyways, football quarter/semi finals and relegation playoffs this weekend. What's everyone's choices?
    Friday
    SFC Quarter Final
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne v Duleek/Bellewstown, Páirc Tailteann, 7.30pm

JFC relegation playoff
    Kilbride v Boardsmill, Skryne, 8pm

Saturday
    SFC Quarter Finals
    Simonstown v Na Fianna, Trim, 5.30pm
    Summerhill v Wolfe Tones, Páirc Tailteann 7.30pm

SFC Relegation Playoff
    Rathkenny v Oldcastle, Kilmainhamwood, 5.30pm

IFC Quarter Finals
    Ballivor v Ballinabrackey, Trim, 4pm
    Ratoath v Syddan, Páirc Tailteann, 6pm

JFC C Final Replay
    Blackhall Gaels v St. Pat's, Kilbride, 5.30pm

Sunday
    SFC Quarter Final
    O'Mahony's v Skryne, Páirc Tailteann, 3pm

IFC Quarter Finals
    Dunderry v Ballinlough, Moylagh, 5pm
    Castletown v St. Colmcilles, Rathkenny, 5pm

IFC Relegation Playoff
    Nobber v Carnaross, Drumbaragh, 5.30pm

JFC Semi Finals
    Cortown v Clonard, Páirc Tailteann, 1pm
    Simonstown v Dunboyne, Dunshaughlin, 3.30pm

JFC B Semi Finals
    Duleek/Bellewstown v Seneschalstown, Donore, 12pm
    St. Vincents v Wolfe Tones, Brews Hill, 6pm

Really very difficult to call most of the Senior games. Hill - Tones could be a fantastic game. Definitely staying on for that after the Ratoath - Syddan game. Think it'll be Don/Ash, Simonstown, O'Mahony's and Tones in the semis.
    Can't see anyone but Oldcastle going down to Intermediate. They had a bit of luck last season but can't see them escaping this year. Wouldn't bet against them going straight down to Junior next year if they do lose on Saturday.

In the Intermediate, I'd expect (partly hope) it to be semi finals of Ballivor v Ratoath and Dunderry v Castletown. Though, Ballinlough do seem to have a bit of momentum behind them. Also interesting to see if Ballivor lose any players to Kildalkey.
    Kilmainham seem to have survived thanks to Newman's heroics last week against Nobber. I think Nobber will avoid two straight relegations by beating Carnaross this weekend. I think Kilmainham would then have to play Carnaross.

In the Junior, Cortown to beat Clonard. I'll be honest and say I've no idea about Simonstown and Duboyne's second teams so I can't predict that. Think Kilbride will once again cling to their Junior A status.

Junior C final replay is on tomorrow at half five in Kilbride too, the best part of it was Cormac Sullivan and Niall Mangan having their red cards overturned, they were the most underserving red cards you'd see, though in the refs defence he gave them on the advice of an overenthusiastic linesman.

Don/Ash safely through 3-13 to 8 points against D/B.
    Kilbride relegated to Junior B after losing 4-9 to 3-10 to Boardsmill.

• Advertisement

Rumours abound that Kevin Reilly is out for at least a year. Possibly has played his last game in a Meath shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Rumours abound that Kevin Reilly is out for at least a year. Possibly has played his last game in a Meath shirt.

I've heard the same rumors and hopefully this is just that, a rumor! Kevin's been very unlucky with injuries over the years and I sincerely hope this is not true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

he will be grand come Spring

Hope so. For himself more than Meath. He's unbelievably bad luck with injuries.

Ballinabrackey beat Ballivor 2-13 to 8 points in the IFC Quarter Final. Ratoath won 3-19 to 3-14 after extra time against Syddan in the other. Syddan will be kicking themselves. They were 9 points to 2 up after 45 minutes.

Na Fianna beat Simonstown by 3 in the SFC.
    5 points each in the Tones - Summerhill game at half time. Tones the better team and had 2 massive goal chances saved. But the Hill came back into it towards the end.

Tones win 2-11 to 8 points. Poor game. So many basic errors from both sides. Cian Ward was pretty anonymous for Tones bar one great score from play in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Donaghmore/Ashbourne vs Na Fianna
    Wolfe Tones vs Skryne or O'Mahonys

Should be an O'Mahonys vs Wolfe Tones semi.

You would think so but O'Mahony's have a habit of capitulating like last year's quarter final. If they are on song, they'll win. But if they've a performance like against Kells in the group stages, Skryne could surprise them.
    A Donaghmore/Ashbourne - Navan final would be very interesting.

Oldcastle relegated to Intermediate. Donal Curtis scored 3 points for Rathkenny in his final game.
    Cortown make the Junior Final.

Navan won.. got way ahead before Skryne even got on scoreboard...navan/Tones semi

Who played well for Navan?

Regan scored 1-6, and Bray scored a lovely goal, Skryne were 1-9 to 0-0 down after 15 mins , left themselves too much to do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Why are RTE dragging this sh1t up again

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=224348

Let it go FFS

That comment from Frank Lynch is also stupid beyond belief.

iDave wrote: »

Let it go FFS

In it's defence it's part of the Scannal series, although to be fair there's probably loads of other scandals in this country they could give a half hour to that are more deserving.

Great win for the Pat's Junior C team on Saturday night in the final replay too, I missed it due to a house full of sick people, but they won handy enough compared to the first day. Another medal in a large haul for a number of great servants to the club. Speaking of great clubmen, what a great sign off for Donal Curtis with Rathkenny too, hope he has a great retirement.

Does anyone have any idea whats happening with the SFC semi finals? I'm hoping for a double bill because they'll be two great games.

Let it go FFS

Ridiculous comment alright. If it happened to Meath, it would be brushed under the carpet with a comment like "Sh!t happens". It's like we've never had a massive, game changing decision go against us in a big game.

I heard the football semis are next weekend. Fixtures will probably be out this afternoon. The SFC ones should be a double header. Lots more neutrals at it that way. Presuming Ratoath's IFC semi final will be Friday or Sunday. Saturday is the Intermediate Sevens in Ratoath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Let it go FFS

ffs cant believe this will be brought up again. For me its only died down about a year ago, I worked with a Louth girl till then and she wouls not let it go, we nearly fell out over it!

• Advertisement

Ridiculous comment alright. If it happened to Meath, it would be brushed under the carpet with a comment like "Sh!t happens". It's like we've never had a massive, game changing decision go against us in a big game.

Insane comment if you ask me. Most people would of been delighted if the 'royal bastards' were shafted.
    I just say 'good goal he took it well' when anyone brings it up these days.

Anyway looking forward to the hurling semis, were overdue a championship in Trim now.

Results from the weekend:

SFC QF
    Don/Ash 3-13, Duleek/B 0-8
    Na Fianna 1-15, Simonstown 2-9
    Wolfe Tones 2-11, Summerhill 0-8
    O'Mahony's 3-14, Skryne 2-11

SFC Relegation Playoff
    Rathkenny 0-12, Oldcastle 0-5

IFC QF
    Ballinabrackey 2-13, Ballivor 0-8
    Ratoath 3-19, Syddan 3-14 AET
    Castletown 1-18, St. Colmcilles 2-11
    Ballinlough 1-12, Dunderry 0-11

IFC Relegation Playoff
    Nobber 0-14, Carnaross 0-13

JFCA SF
    Cortown 1-10, Clonard 0-9
    St. Peter's 2-15, Simonstown 2-7

JFCA Relegation Playoff
    Boardsmill 4-9, Kilbride 3-10

JFCB SF
    Seneschalstown 1-12, Duleek/B 1-8
    Wolfe Tones 3-11, St. Vincents 1-9

JFCC Final Replay
    St. Patrick's 1-13, Blackhall Gaels 0-7

The thing that stands out for me is that next year's Junior B championship will contain 6 first teams (Kilbride, St. Vincents, St. Mary's, St. Pauls, Slane and Moynalty) compared with 7 second teams in the Junior A. That doesn't look good.

I work with a few Louth guys and they still wont let it go, and it isnt friendly slagging either, early on, i actually had sympathy , but now...not a bit..and Frank Lynch should remember the antics of a few Louth cowards assaulting the referee!!...friends in low places me thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

chrysagon wrote: »
    I work with a few Louth guys and they still wont let it go, and it isnt friendly slagging either, early on, i actually had sympathy , but now...not a bit..and Frank Lynch should remember the antics of a few Louth cowards assaulting the referee!!...friends in low places me thinks!

I've had similar experiences coming from the Louth border and also having the 'pleasure' of going to school in Louth. It's almost as though that because I'm from Meath then I'm personally responsible for what happened and we had it all planned out from the start to 'cheat' them.

Now half my family is from Louth and I like seeing them do well (have always been my second team to support), but this sort of crap really needs to be put to bed. I can tell you that there's some of them that will never get over it and will always be petty about it.

I actually felt pity for them in 2010, and hoped we wold give them a replay and beat them of the field, but alas, it never happened, so every Meath person and their dog is responsible for Louths demise, probably be decades before Louth ever reach another final.

Wont be watching anyway. Everything that needs to said on it has been said. Airing comments like Lynchs is if no use to anyone.
    As a Dublin fan said to my father and a Louth fan after it. Its Louths fault Dubs in the hill have to watch matches behing a glass fence.

chrysagon wrote: »
    I actually felt pity for them in 2010, and hoped we wold give them a replay and beat them of the field, but alas, it never happened, so every Meath person and their dog is responsible for Louths demise, probably be decades before Louth ever reach another final.

You really would've thought relegating us in the league would have shut them up and given them a measure of revenge and satisfaction. But it really didn't, it's over 4 years on from it, but then again they're great at blaming everyone bar themselves for their ills

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Boyneboy

What do you call a Meath man with a Leinster medal? A theif.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

What do call a bloke who signs up to post a pretty dull joke? A troll :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What's a theif?

Advertisement