Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

I'll be heading into it tomorrow. Hope the weather stays good for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Can't make it today unfortunately. Blowing a hurricane out there so whoever wins the toss is certainly going to have an advantage.

Cortown beat Dunboyne in the JFC replay 1-11 to 1-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

O'Mahonys win by 2 points, 2-11 to 2-09

Out of interest is Mick Deegans young lad declared for Meath or Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

O'Mahonys win by 2 points, 2-11 to 2-09

Out of interest is Mick Deegans young lad declared for Meath or Dublin?

Dublin I think. Pretty sure he played minor with them

Yeah Deegan was on the Dublin panel that won the 2012 All Ireland Minor Championship. There were also two ex-Ratoath players on their Leinster winning team this season but they transferred to their parents' clubs at U15 or so.

Heard Regan and Forde played very well for O'Mahony's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Regan very good for O'Mahonys. Forde also played well for them. Thought the Bray's were largely anonynous for most of the game, although Stephen scored a great point.
    Tormey done well for Don/Ash I thought.

I honestly thought Don/Ash would blitz O'Mahonys with the start they had. Experience came through for O'Mahonys in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

D/A had a dream start but never capitalized on it. I thought they were lucky enough to get as close as they did as after the goals O'Mahony's completely dominated bar the spell at the end where D/A started to come back at them.

I thought the decision to give Regan Man of the Match was a surprising one. Certainly O'Caoilean, S. Bray and Forde were far better than him in the forwards and McKeigue and Dillon were very good in defence. Seems to be the case that they just give it to the top scorer every year.

O'Mahony's will now play away to the winners of Rhode v St. Patricks (Louth) on November 9th.
    Kiltale will play the Wexford Intermediate Hurling Champions in the Leinster IHC next weekend.
    Ballinlough play Ballyfin of Laois in the Leinster IFC also next weekend.
    Dunderry will play the Kilkenny Junior champions in the Leinster JHC on November 16th
    Cortown will play the winners of Courtwood (Laois) and the Wexford Junior champions on November 9th.
    And St. Patrick's play Pearse Óg of Louth in the Leinster Special JHC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Am I right in saying that Trim are the last "dual club" to win the SHC?

last few years dual clubs have won

kiltale -- moynalvey / summerhill 2014
    kilmessain - dunsany 2013
    kiltale - 2012
    kildalky - boliver 2009 -2010-2011

only 2 of the kiltale starting 15 in that final doesnt play football, mostly senior grade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

sc86 wrote: »
    last few years dual clubs have won

kiltale -- moynalvey / summerhill 2014
    kilmessain - dunsany 2013
    kiltale - 2012
    kildalky - boliver 2009 -2010-2011

only 2 of the kiltale starting 15 in that final doesnt play football, mostly senior grade

To be fair if you apply that logic, then every single winner of the hurling championship has been a "dual" club. There isnt a hurling club in the county without at least one equivalent football club in the same area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Regan very good for O'Mahonys. Forde also played well for them. Thought the Bray's were largely anonynous for most of the game, although Stephen scored a great point.
    Tormey done well for Don/Ash I thought.

I honestly thought Don/Ash would blitz O'Mahonys with the start they had. Experience came through for O'Mahonys in the end.

bit of inexperience done for D/A in the 20 minute spell after the half where NOM pulled away with the scores, subs changed the game and they came back into it, at least 3 chances where wrong options taken. NOM deserved it alright over the course of the game. Pace was very noticable I thought and lots of fellas cramping even early in the second half. Is Tormey on the meath panel? stands out a mile although he'll be ruing that missed easy hand pass over the bar in the first half.
    I'll give credit to NOM coaching team, very well drilled set pieces I thought. excellent game despite conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

To be fair if you apply that logic, then every single winner of the hurling championship has been a "dual" club. There isnt a hurling club in the county without at least one equivalent football club in the same area.

moynalvey + kiltale is same parish
    they play under kiltale for hurling and moynalvey football
    thats a dual club
    nearly all the hulers play football
    thats a true dual club

not a half arsed attempt and both good senior clubs

fair enough the others listed dont do to same level

bit of inexperience done for D/A in the 20 minute spell after the half where NOM pulled away with the scores, subs changed the game and they came back into it, at least 3 chances where wrong options taken. NOM deserved it alright over the course of the game. Pace was very noticable I thought and lots of fellas cramping even early in the second half. Is Tormey on the meath panel? stands out a mile although he'll be ruing that missed easy hand pass over the bar in the first half.
    I'll give credit to NOM coaching team, very well drilled set pieces I thought. excellent game despite conditions.

Yes indeed he is. Was one of our better players last season imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Meath team that played against Kildare last Thursday in Kilcock:

1 Andy Markey
    2 Darren Brennan
    3 Conor McGill
    4 Oran Fitzpatrick
    5 Nicky Judge
    6 Neil Shortall
    7 Ciaran McConnell
    8 Shane Dowling
    9 Sean Tobin
    10 Fergus Toolan
    11 Mark O'Sullivan
    12 Ben Duggan
    13 Seamus Mattimoe
    14 Tom Cullen
    15 Ruairi O'Dowd

Substitutes: Kevin Treanor, Oisin Reilly, Seamus Lavin, Johnny Meehan, Simon Carthy.

Meath team that played against Kildare last Thursday in Kilcock:

1 Andy Markey
    2 Darren Brennan
    3 Conor McGill
    4 Oran Fitzpatrick
    5 Nicky Judge
    6 Neil Shortall
    7 Ciaran McConnell
    8 Shane Dowling
    9 Sean Tobin
    10 Fergus Toolan
    11 Mark O'Sullivan
    12 Ben Duggan
    13 Seamus Mattimoe
    14 Tom Cullen
    15 Ruairi O'Dowd

Substitutes: Kevin Treanor, Oisin Reilly, Seamus Lavin, Johnny Meehan, Simon Carthy.

good to see some new faces being tried out even if it is October.

What was the challenge in aid of and what was the score? Assume the Kildare team was much the same as the Meath team in that it was all new faces?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Hibbeler wrote: »
    good to see some new faces being tried out even if it is October.

What was the challenge in aid of and what was the score? Assume the Kildare team was much the same as the Meath team in that it was all new faces?

Twas a draw anyway, I think it was 1-9 each or something. I only seen the score on twitter now, Kalrion's post is the first I've seen of other information on it.

Thanks for that klairon.
    Sullivan and Tobin are the only two on that team to have really seen any competitive action for Meath recently. Think Nicky Judge would be a great addition to next years team especially with Kev Reilly out for the league.

Ballinlough 0-11 Ballyfin 0-8

Good start in the Leinster Championship for the Lough :)

Raheen from Offaly next for the Lough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Fair play to Ballinlough today, some year they're having this year. Amazing what momentum can do for a team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

keep her lit Lough!!!!!

Kiltale beat Shamrocks of Wexford in the Leinster IHC 3-14 to 1-10.
    They'll play Ballinakill of Laois in the semi final

The Irish record holder for long jump Ciaran McDonough has been added to the backroom staff of the senior football team I see. Hopefully this could be a step in the right direction for the county footballers in terms of coaching and fitness.

Also last weekend the Dee Rangers ladies team won the Leinster Junior Club championship. Beat Clane by 4-3 to 2-6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

The Irish record holder for long jump Ciaran McDonough has been added to the backroom staff of the senior football team I see. Hopefully this could be a step in the right direction for the county footballers in terms of coaching and fitness.

Also last weekend the Dee Rangers ladies team won the Leinster Junior Club championship. Beat Clane by 4-3 to 2-6

Sorry Hibb, couldn't resist.

leaping to conclusions..

mattser wrote: »
    Sorry Hibb, couldn't resist.
    chrysagon wrote: »
    leaping to conclusions..

Ah go and take a running jump the both of ye :P

The Lough win again, beating Raheen 12 points to 10. They'll play St. James' of Wexford in the semi final.
    St. Pat's easily beat Pearse Óg in the Leinster Special JHC and will play Wolfe Tones of Longford in the semi final.

Ah go and take a running jump the both of ye :P

A leap of faith maybe?:P
    but the sands of time are shifting...for Meath football:cool:

The Lough win again, beating Raheen 12 points to 10. They'll play St. James' of Wexford in the semi final.
    St. Pat's easily beat Pearse Óg in the Leinster Special JHC and will play Wolfe Tones of Longford in the semi final.

Ballinlough down to Wexford park in a couple of weeks to play the Jimmy's :D

That will be a tough one as the James's have Wexford fullback Graham Molloy and Kevin O'Grady as well as Matthew O'Hanlon off the Senior hurlers and ex-county midfielder Brendan Doyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

700k in grants for Dunganny have been made available from both the Leinster council and Croke Park.

Advertisement