Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

in fairness Rhode are no fools and will get to the final at least it will be hard to see Dublins st vncents bet, the papers and the sunday world gave Rhode no chance witch was silly as navan o mahonys would'nt have a footballer better than Niall Mac .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Are Dunshaughlin the last Meath team to get to the Leinster final back in 2002? Really awful record for our club champions recently.

Cortown were beaten by Courtwood in the Leinster JFC 1-12 to 2-8.

Kiltale though are into the Leinster IHC final after beating Ballinakill 1-13 to 1-10.

Ballinlough through to the U21C final. They must be in with a great shout at club of the year along with Kiltale.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Are Dunshaughlin the last Meath team to get to the Leinster final back in 2002? Really awful record for our club champions recently..

i think yur rite. i remember meself and my father heading down to see them play the all-ireland semi final in hyde park roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

in fairness Rhode are no fools and will get to the final at least it will be hard to see Dublins st vncents bet, the papers and the sunday world gave Rhode no chance witch was silly as navan o mahonys would'nt have a footballer better than Niall Mac .

wud be hard to see a 'best of club' in leinster beating St vincnets at this stage. Rhode have been fairly successful in leinster over the past few years. getting to semis and stuff. more than any of our own clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

royaler83 wrote: »
    No need for half of that. The main terrace is perfect, the two ends need to be done up to similar standard. It's the stand that needs knocking and a new stand erected that should be the full length of the pitch or near enough with all tv amenities etc that you mentioned.

Yeah I agree I was thinking more if the county board won euromillions or something and there was cash to spend.

It has to be said though that say a 20k capacity ground with 15k seated would overall be more desirable and probably get more games than a 20k capacity with only 7 or 8k seated.

Like most on here I'd be perfectly happy just to see any improvement unfortunately.

• Advertisement

chrysagon wrote: »
    what a let down by navan...club football in meath that bad?

The only thing that can be said is that club football in Meath is at least competitive. A lot of club teams that do well at provincial level seem to be regular winners at county level.

Rhode for example have won 6 out of the last 10 (since 2005) Offaly championships, while over the same period in Meah we've had 6 different winners. Also Portlaoise are on 8 in a row in Laois and you can be sure that other teams that have done well are dominant in their own counties.

I wonder how good Armagh club football is if Crossmaglen can win 18/19 club championships?

Would you rather O'Mahony's or Seneschalstown or someone dominated club football in Meath, Crossmaglen style if it brought provincial club success?

Meath clubs have never really been any at all successful before post senior county championships. I wonder was this considered an issue before when the inter-county team was a bit more competitive?

Edited: posted same thing 3 times somehow

Edited: don't mind me nothing to see here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Hibbeler wrote: »

Hibbeler you're making Johnny two times look normal, look normal!

The only thing that can be said is that club football in Meath is at least competitive. A lot of club teams that do well at provincial level seem to be regular winners at county level.

Rhode for example have won 6 out of the last 10 (since 2005) Offaly championships, while over the same period in Meah we've had 6 different winners. Also Portlaoise are on 8 in a row in Laois and you can be sure that other teams that have done well are dominant in their own counties.

I wonder how good Armagh club football is if Crossmaglen can win 18/19 club championships?

Would you rather O'Mahony's or Seneschalstown or someone dominated club football in Meath, Crossmaglen style if it brought provincial club success?

Meath clubs have never really been any at all successful before post senior county championships. I wonder was this considered an issue before when the inter-county team was a bit more competitive?

Rhode are not winning it as much as they used to. tullamore won it last year Edenderry in 2011, clara also won one around 2009 or 2010

• Advertisement

also Hibbeler navan o'mahonys have also won 3 and lost 2 county finals since 2005 so they are regular enough winners or are there or there abouts most years in meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

If I were responsible for the redevelopment I would start by knocking the terrace on the commons road and replacing it with a stand similar to parnell park or in Longford to begin with. This stand would have all the TV gantries and media facilities etc so we have that out of the way. While this is going on concrete the end terraces.

Then once that's done replace the current stand with something considerably bigger. Something like tullamore or newry in this case.

I think that this would result in something quite good and would stand out in having two covered stands. If I had a huge pot of money I would do something like Thomond park with the two stands looking similar architecturally.

I'd agree alright to a certain extend. I don't understand the Irish obsession with stadiums with a roof on one side. Its not a dry country. A roof always helps lock in the noise better too. Thomands architecture might be pushing it a bit but I'd love to see the imagination and ambition to at least have two covered stands. With no pillars might I add.

I'm no great fan of NOM but would of liked to see them progressed further than this. They were knocked out by the Longford champions two years ago I think at the same stage.
    I think to be successful at senior intercounty you need to be competing at all levels. Club, U21 and minor.

also Hibbeler navan o'mahonys have also won 3 and lost 2 county finals since 2005 so they are regular enough winners or are there or there abouts most years in meath.

O'Mahony's are definitely one of 2 or 3 teams that can generally be banked on to be in the mix up for the county championship but none of them can really be said to be totally dominant. For example the losing finalists of the last two years were both teams that had never contested a senior county final before and given that both Na Fianna and Ashbourne have large catchments I don't think either will be going away time soon.

My point wasn't meant as a dig towards Rhode or anyone in particular, I was challenging the view that since Meath clubs don't do well in the provincials that this means that Meath club football is poor and therefore Meath football is s**te.

The fact is that often clubs that find themselves totally dominant at county level are the ones that often do well at provincial and all-Ireland level, see Portlaoise, St. Brigids, Crossmaglen and St. Galls as examples. I'm sure it's a similar story in hurling as well. How much have the county teams of Laois, Roscommon, Armagh and Antrim to show for their clubs doing well beyond their counties?

All this however is ignoring the fact that Meath clubs have never really competed at Leinster level. Even Carlow has more Leinster club titles than we do.

By the reports, it looks as though a 9 point victory for Rhode was very flattering for them given that NOM were only 2 points behind with less thab 5 minutes left. Again going by reports, their defence seems to have once again been the main culprits having been poor in the final as well.

About PT, was the asbestos not removed in the last 10 years or am I imagining that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Ballinlough vs St James has been moved to Wexford Park with a 12.30pm throw in next Sunday, due to the Wexford Senior Final being played afterwards.
    Should be a good game

Come on the Lough :)

By the reports, it looks as though a 9 point victory for Rhode was very flattering for them given that NOM were only 2 points behind with less thab 5 minutes left. Again going by reports, their defence seems to have once again been the main culprits having been poor in the final as well.

About PT, was the asbestos not removed in the last 10 years or am I imagining that?
    listened to it on the wireless. it was a very close game for much of it. just wasn't their day. like they were 3 points down with not too long to go alan forde missed a good goal chance and they go up the other end and get a goal from a long ball in. game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

Ballinlough vs St James has been moved to Wexford Park with a 12.30pm throw in next Sunday, due to the Wexford Senior Final being played afterwards.
    Should be a good game

Come on the Lough :)

Have to say it is a bit of a blow to Ballinlough's chances that the game has been switched to 12.30 in Wexford town so that it can be played be before the Wexford senior final after it had been originally been fixed for 2.30 in New Ross. The Wexford club will have a much bigger crowd shouting them on while it will surely reduce the travelling support as you would have to leave very early to be down in Wexford town for 12.30.

Supposedly St. James put the proposal forward at a Leinster council meeting last week to have the game switched, the Meath delegate did not attend the meeting and as a result the match got changed because there was no objection...thought it was a bit harsh on Ballinlough who seemingly new nothing about the situation until it was too late to do anything about it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Some good points above about club football but in all honesty the overall standard is poor by my reckoning. Sean Boylan himself admitted it on occasion. Case in point - last year's final aired on TG4 as a double-header, followed by the Kerry county final. The gap in standards was obvious for all to see, like watching a senior final after a junior decider.

The competitiveness of the county championship is probably a good thing, won't argue there. We have a bigger pool of talent than most counties and the football renaissance in south Meath is a boon going forward.

Still, tough on O'Mahonys. Rhode are a very good side and would tip them as outsiders for Leinster. David Bray was held scoreless - disappointing as he could be a huge asset for us if he's on form. Jake Regan's been posting good score totals, is he worth a shot on the county side? Doesn't seem to be in O'Dowd's plans but it must be hard to ignore him.

Have to say it is a bit of a blow to Ballinlough's chances that the game has been switched to 12.30 in Wexford town so that it can be played be before the Wexford senior final after it had been originally been fixed for 2.30 in New Ross. The Wexford club will have a much bigger crowd shouting them on while it will surely reduce the travelling support as you would have to leave very early to be down in Wexford town for 12.30.

Supposedly St. James put the proposal forward at a Leinster council meeting last week to have the game switched, the Meath delegate did not attend the meeting and as a result the match got changed because there was no objection...thought it was a bit harsh on Ballinlough who seemingly new nothing about the situation until it was too late to do anything about it!!

The support will still be there, and the Ballinlough will win ;)

I don't think too many extra neutrals will attend as its on early, big interest in the Senior final though

Plus the switching of the game has caused a row in Wexford, as the Leinster council are looking for a skelp of the gate receipts and the Wexford County board are claiming all the receipts as its the County final :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

About PT, the asbestos roof still there aint it?

and regards Meath senior clubs in Leinster, the record the last while has been dismal, during the early 80s, Meath were going bad, beaten by Longford in 82, yet Walterstown were reaching the All Ireland club finals, but next few weeks we will know how good Rhode are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Just looking at the master fixture list for next year. We have Kerry in the first round of the All Ireland B U21 championship. Presumably this means the Ulster, Leinster and Connacht B championships are all scrapped. Bit of a shame considering they were the only B hurling competitions still run like the top level.

The way the Ulster U21B winner has given a walkover in each of the last 2 All Ireland semis was probably what caused this.

HighKing33 wrote: »
    Some good points above about club football but in all honesty the overall standard is poor by my reckoning. Sean Boylan himself admitted it on occasion. Case in point - last year's final aired on TG4 as a double-header, followed by the Kerry county final. The gap in standards was obvious for all to see, like watching a senior final after a junior decider.

The competitiveness of the county championship is probably a good thing, won't argue there. We have a bigger pool of talent than most counties and the football renaissance in south Meath is a boon going forward.

Still, tough on O'Mahonys. Rhode are a very good side and would tip them as outsiders for Leinster. David Bray was held scoreless - disappointing as he could be a huge asset for us if he's on form. Jake Regan's been posting good score totals, is he worth a shot on the county side? Doesn't seem to be in O'Dowd's plans but it must be hard to ignore him.

In fairness the Kerry semier championship amalgamates some clubs together. Some of the regions in it could have up to six clubs as one. Obviously the standard will be way higher and then they have 3 or 4 clubs with some of the best players to play the game.

But if you compared say their intermediate clubs on their own with ours there wouldn't be the huge gap you think there appears to be. Just ask any Kerry lad playing in meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Last year's Kerry county final was between two town sides though. Not sure how much regional teams have impacted on the standard of football in Kerry, I would put it down to a better understanding of the game, better coaching, etc. I would rate club football in Mayo and Donegal to be much better than in Meath, not to mention Derry and Dublin and there are no regional teams there.It comes down to how you coach the game.

I've yet to see a Meath side defend well in the modern game. In Boylan's years you could go man-for-man, there was no zonal defending but that's all changed now. Kerry have adapted to it, beating Donegal with a better organised defence. We have yet to adapt. Look at our underage teams and our seniors, they cannot defend as a unit. So while I admire the job that Mick O'Dowd is doing I just worry that it's going to take some kind of messiah to drag Meath out of the stone age and build a real defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    But if you compared say their intermediate clubs on their own with ours there wouldn't be the huge gap you think there appears to be. Just ask any Kerry lad playing in meath.

Sorry - have to take issue with this

In the 11 years of the club intermediate All-Ireland, Kerry clubs have won it 3 times and lost the final twice. - This was 5 different Kerry clubs.

In the same time period only one Meath intermediate clubs has even got out of Leinster.

Based on this evidence, I think it's very hard to argue that there isn't a gap there.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Sorry - have to take issue with this

In the 11 years of the club intermediate All-Ireland, Kerry clubs have won it 3 times and lost the final twice. - This was 5 different Kerry clubs.

In the same time period only one Meath intermediate clubs has even got out of Leinster.

Based on this evidence, I think it's very hard to argue that there isn't a gap there.

ok fair enough.

Worth noting though that since 2002 Meath clubs have won 8/12 Leinster Junior Club titles. Nobber and Wolfe Tones won All-Irelands out of it also.

Reckon Ballinlough would have a good chance of going far in the intermediate competition this year however

Worth noting though that since 2002 Meath clubs have won 8/12 Leinster Junior Club titles. Nobber and Wolfe Tones won All-Irelands out of it also.

Reckon Ballinlough would have a good chance of going far in the intermediate competition this year however

Ballinlough RKO'd the championship this year. Nobody say it coming and I hope they go all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Kerry teams have won 5 junior club all-irelands (5 different clubs) and lost 2 since 2002 - 7 different clubs have got to the All-Ireland

Sorry but I couldn't resist :pac: :D

I've yet to see a Meath side defend well in the modern game. In Boylan's years you could go man-for-man, there was no zonal defending but that's all changed now. Kerry have adapted to it, beating Donegal with a better organised defence. We have yet to adapt. Look at our underage teams and our seniors, they cannot defend as a unit. So while I admire the job that Mick O'Dowd is doing I just worry that it's going to take some kind of messiah to drag Meath out of the stone age and build a real defence.
    Bang on. I think this is one of our biggest problems at the moment. We have some fantastic individual defenders (Keogan, Reilly, Menton to name a few) but as a team our defending is shocking. Teams always find it so easy to run through us from their half and I've lost count of the times our players would follow the ball in defence leaving a couple of free men behind them.

• Advertisement

Last year's Kerry county final was between two town sides though. Not sure how much regional teams have impacted on the standard of football in Kerry, I would put it down to a better understanding of the game, better coaching, etc. I would rate club football in Mayo and Donegal to be much better than in Meath, not to mention Derry and Dublin and there are no regional teams there.It comes down to how you coach the game.

Have to disagree there, IMO In the latter years of Boylans reign, Meath teams defended zonal, in the 1999 final our centre back marked the space and cut off angles into the corner forward

Advertisement