Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ability wise, I think he is. He was actually on the panel last season but he got a stomach injury and never got a game.
    However, his temperament would be what I'd question. He was sent off in the IFC semi final and again on Wednesday night. In fact I already prepare for the worst any time he's on a yellow. If he can leave that part of his game behind him, he would definitely be worth a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Looking at the forwards that O'Dowd is bringing through and I see pace, ball winners and goal poachers but I can't see too many of these lads kicking awkward points out in the corners or long-range efforts. Goals are great but the game is still about kicking points. That's where you would like to see O'Brien or David Bray having a bigger part to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

hope ye guys signed up for steward training in Pairc T... theres a major shortage of names!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Mullinavat 1-13 Kiltale 0-13 full time. Hard luck to Kiltale. Been an amazing year for the club and to get as far as the Leinster final is an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

chrysagon wrote: »
    About PT, the asbestos roof still there aint it?

and regards Meath senior clubs in Leinster, the record the last while has been dismal, during the early 80s, Meath were going bad, beaten by Longford in 82, yet Walterstown were reaching the All Ireland club finals, but next few weeks we will know how good Rhode are.

they kicked the sh.t out of moorefield today so they are not to bad.

• Advertisement

NOM must be kicking themselves

hope ye guys signed up for steward training in Pairc T... theres a major shortage of names!!
    I'm "hopefully" in the process of emigrating so I'd be no use to 'em.
    Mullinavat 1-13 Kiltale 0-13 full time. Hard luck to Kiltale. Been an amazing year for the club and to get as far as the Leinster final is an achievement.
    Decent result. Mullinavat hammered the Kildare champions last weekend so I was fearing the worst. Can see Kiltale dominating the SHC for a while.

Moynalty beat Ballinlough in the U21C final.

And last, but definitely not least, Kilmessan camógs are All Ireland Junior Champions after beating Four Roads in the final 2-8 to 1-6.

And did Enda kenny not say we have turned the corner...and u emigrating!!!!!

NOM must be kicking themselves

why they were beaten by 9 wasn't it :P

Decent result. Mullinavat hammered the Kildare champions last weekend so I was fearing the worst. Can see Kiltale dominating the SHC for a while.

I honestly thought the same in regards to Kiltale being destroyed today. Considering that Mullinavat will be a Kilkenny senior hurling club next year it's a good result to only lose by 3 points. Kiltale probably will be dominating the SHC now providing that they use this as a morale-booster. Not that it's a bad thing being the dominating force in the county championship.

• Advertisement

And did Enda kenny not say we have turned the corner...and u emigrating!!!!!
    Every time I hear the phrase "We have turned the corner" I automatically think of this from American Dad:

pWJkamJ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Has anyone heard is the kit changing this year? I want to get the kids kits for Christmas but I'm not gonna if it's changing in the new year.

I feel they would have said something about it by now if they were changing so I'd doubt it if they are. Also, the prices of jerseys on the O'Neills website are still high whereas they would be lower to get rid of stock if they were being changed.

A quick email to O'Neills may be an idea just to be sure.

Nice touch to name the MFC Division 2 trophy after Liam Tolan. Hard to believe it's nearly 5 years since his tragic death. He would probably be in the Meath team at the moment if things were different.

U21 final tonight in Navan between Ratoath and O'Mahony's.
    Ratoath beat O'Mahony's in last year's U21 championship by 26 points (and this was the O'Mahony's team that beat Ratoath in the Minor final 3 years previous) and Ratoath have 10 from last years team to call on (but still no Éamonn Wallace), so obviously Ratoath are favourites. But I can't see O'Mahony's being anywhere near as naive as they were that day so I expect them to pack the defence and I'd say it'll be a close game. Weather looks like it's going to be much better than Ratoath's semi final thankfully.

Ballinlough play Seán O'Mahony's in the Leinster IFC Final on Sunday. It's in Drogheda at 2.30pm.

Jaysus this Ratoath team don't make it easy for me. 1-9 to 3 points up at half time only to be just 3 points up with less than 15 to go.
    Ended up winning 1-13 to 1-8. Brian McMahon was the best player on the pitch with the calmer Bobby O'Brien not too far behind.

Poor game though. Doesn't look great for the future of Meath.

Seán O'Mahony's 0-10 Ballinlough 1-4. Only 1 point for Ballinlough in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Seán O'Mahony's 0-10 Ballinlough 1-4. Only 1 point for Ballinlough in the second half.

I find it hard to have any sympathy for Ballinlough. Very negative tactics in the latter stages of the Meath Championship.

They shouldnt have won joint club of the year. Kiltale should have won it on their own.

dixiefly wrote: »
    I find it hard to have any sympathy for Ballinlough. Very negative tactics in the latter stages of the Meath Championship.

They shouldnt have won joint club of the year. Kiltale should have won it on their own.
    They didn't employ "negative" tactics last season and their only win came against a shocking Ballivor team. They do so this year and win the IFC. They got a system in place and it worked a treat so fair play to them.

As for club of the year, they won the IFC, got to a Leinster final, got promoted to division 1, got to the Corn na Boinne Final and the U21C final. That's impressive no matter which way you look at it so I think joint COTY with Kiltale was more than deserved.

1896862_370920126405037_9219245584241359187_n.jpg?oh=39226cd413f9b0b3b47f53876f20fb43&oe=5513D22E
    Great support for them.

• Advertisement

lads what has gone wrong with Meath football over the last few years, they seem to be losing most finals they get into and that was never Meaths way
    not just todays game but inter county to, and this isn't a WUM post either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Ballinlough still have a league final to look forward to, that's 4 (finals) in one season, COTY more than deserved

1896862_370920126405037_9219245584241359187_n.jpg?oh=39226cd413f9b0b3b47f53876f20fb43&oe=5513D22E
    Great support for them.

Same down in Wexford for the semi final as well Hammer, and that was a 12.30 throw in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Class picture, I can actually spot a Pat's refugee in among them, although he's originally north Meath anyway!! As for Ballinlough been negative, I'm sure everyone linked to the club won't let that concern them when they have the cup to keep them company all winter and senior football to look forward to next year!!

I'd take my club or county winning the big games negatively in comparison to winning one or two games a year!

rpurfield wrote: »
    Class picture, I can actually spot a Pat's refugee in among them, although he's originally north Meath anyway!! As for Ballinlough been negative, I'm sure everyone linked to the club won't let that concern them when they have the cup to keep them company all winter and senior football to look forward to next year!!

I'd take my club or county winning the big games negatively in comparison to winning one or two games a year!

Sean O'Mahonys played in a similar way, Kerry won an All Ireland and Donegal an Ulster, its just the way football has gone at present. If you remember, Ballinlough got a beating at the start of the championship from Drumbaragh, so could you blame them for going defensive, considering where it has led them.
    Still another final to go (League) and a number of the panel will be in action for Kilskyre vs the other COTY Kiltale in the Hurling league decider. :)

All in all a great year for the parish

rpurfield wrote: »

Oh I am sure that it doesnt matter to them but that's not the point I am making. From what I heard their tactics in the latter stages were pretty incredibly negative. If I was a Ballinlough supporter I wouldnt have objected of course.

I just reckoned (as a neutral) that Kiltale's achievement at senior level in the county & intermediate leinster was better and the quality of their play in winning the matches was superb.

I dont know the stats on Club of The Year but how long since a hurling club (non dual) won it?

Sean O'Mahonys played in a similar way, Kerry won an All Ireland and Donegal an Ulster, its just the way football has gone at present. If you remember, Ballinlough got a beating at the start of the championship from Drumbaragh, so could you blame them for going defensive, considering where it has led them.

Will the negative tactics be enough to help them survive senioe next year? I suppose since it got them up they will have to persist with it and hope that Peader isnt injured

One question, did Peader drop off the Meath panel or did MOD drop him? looks like a bad desision considering the fact that he had to rely on Joey Wallace against Kildare, Dublin and Armagh. Far too inexperienced and light for those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

Oh I am sure that it doesnt matter to them but that's not the point I am making. From what I heard their tactics in the latter stages were pretty incredibly negative. If I was a Ballinlough supporter I wouldnt have objected of course.

I just reckoned (as a neutral) that Kiltale's achievement at senior level in the county & intermediate leinster was better and the quality of their play in winning the matches was superb.

I dont know the stats on Club of The Year but how long since a hurling club (non dual) won it?

I think you are being misguided by whoever told you "in the latter stages of the championship they were pretty incredibly negative" I was at a few of their games this year...the county semi-final and final and again yesterday. The county semi-final against Castletown was the best game I seen in Navan this year, I think the score was something like 2-14 to 2-12...no negativity there!!

The final against Ballinabracky was a dour enough affair but that said more about Ballinabracky than Ballinlough, there run to the Leinster final confirmed they are not a bad team at all...no bad team makes it to a Leinster club final; of that I am sure.

What Ballinlough had was a system of play, everyone filters back and then they attack from deep at pace surely we can't frown upon this, they have a system they are all about keeping things tight and trying to edge out their opponents; perhaps MOD and Co. should have considered a similar tactic when we played Dublin in the championship instead of going out to play good old traditional football and leaving ourselves wide open at the back and getting a walloping.

Ballinlough came up against a well drilled team yesterday who had a similar enough style with a rigid defence that counter attacked at pace, the game was nothing spectacular but it was very interesting to watch and it was a great example of two solid teams who were well organised and maximised there potential by getting to a Leinster final. I only wish that our county team could develop some type of system that would see us getting the best out of our players because tactically we are living in the 1980's playing 15 against 15 and continuously being outwitted by the opposition.

On a side note, looking at yesterdays match the black card rule is causing more annoyance than anything else to players, supporters and management alike. There was at least three times in the first half where Ballinlough players got dragged down and the ref gave yellow cards instead of black, they weren't even debatable decisions they were clearly black cards. On one occasion a Ballinlough player was in on goal and got tackled (Sean Kavanagh style) and the ref gave a penalty and a yellow card when in was the most obvious black card you could imagine, very hard to know what the rule is suppose to be doing because it certainly wasn't being applied yesterday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

What I find funny was that before this year, a ref would have been pilloried and hated for giving a yellow in that situation, with everyone arguing it was given for nothing.

Now that he gives a yellow (simply in order not to give a black) for those tackles the player is relieved and happy to get it, and people think the yellow was a good call, as the ref didnt "ruin the game" by using a black card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Jaysus this Ratoath team don't make it easy for me. 1-9 to 3 points up at half time only to be just 3 points up with less than 15 to go.
    Ended up winning 1-13 to 1-8. Brian McMahon was the best player on the pitch with the calmer Bobby O'Brien not too far behind.

Poor game though. Doesn't look great for the future of Meath.

We're back to this debate about the standard of club football in Meath then. Still, I think at least another two lads off that Ratoath u21 team will be pushing hard for places on the Meath seniors next year.

Advertisement