Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

its good to have a debate..thats what its all about.. and we have catching up to do

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Donal Keoghan is the captain of the senior football team for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Donal Keoghan is the captain of the senior football team for next year

Congratulations to him. Hope he gets to hold many a trophy over his head.
    Strange to think of him as a senior member of the panel. Feels like hes just popped up on the scene. Shows how much MOD has cleared out deadwood on the panel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Doesn't seem to be the type of player to lead a team but I hope I'm wrong. Fabulous player and if he can get the rest of the team to put the effort in that he does I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

We're talking about lads who gave massive commitment to Meath football over the years, not deadwood.

Brian Menton always stood out to me as the most natural leader we had on the pitch, didn't take sh*te from anyone. Whether Keoghan lines out next year in the full-back line or at centre-back will be very important, think he gives the team huge impetus and drive at 6 but he's still raw, like a lot of the current panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Disgraceful scenes in Navan yesterday as Ballinlough and Blackhall Gaels bring the GAA into disrepute.

Not many clean punches thrown but there seemed to be some lads putting the boot into other players on the ground.

If they could weed the ones that were putting the boot in then very long bans should be handed out.

Earlier in Navan, Kiltale demonstrated why they should have got club of the year (on their own) with a comprehensive defeat of Trim on one of the coldest hurling days of the year.

One positive point from the football, a big welcome back to Alan Nestor who came on as a sub for Blackhall after a lengthy absence though illness.

dixiefly wrote: »
    Disgraceful scenes in Navan yesterday as Ballinlough and Blackhall Gaels bring the GAA into disrepute.

Not many clean punches thrown but there seemed to be some lads putting the boot into other players on the ground.

If they could weed the ones that were putting the boot in then very long bans should be handed out.

Earlier in Navan, Kiltale demonstrated why they should have got club of the year (on their own) with a comprehensive defeat of Trim on one of the coldest hurling days of the year.

One positive point from the football, a big welcome back to Alan Nestor who came on as a sub for Blackhall after a lengthy absence though illness.

Independent online couldnt wait to put it on front page

That's great to hear about Nestor.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Watched the video online. Looked like a lot of pushing and shoving to me

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Watched the video online. Looked like a lot of pushing and shoving to me
    Supposedly not even a yellow card was issued after the "brawl" and that was after 3 reds were issued before it.

• Advertisement

Supposedly not even a yellow card was issued after the "brawl" and that was after 3 reds were issued before it.
    I will need to look again as I was sure that some players were putting the boot in.

Anyone know what kicked it off?

I will need to look again as I was sure that some players were putting the boot in.

Anyone know what kicked it off?

one player hurt another players feelings!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Meath beat Longford in a friendly 1-10 to 1-07 i think.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Meath beat Longford in a friendly 1-10 to 1-07 i think.

Match report here

http://hoganstand.com/Meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=229148

And we lost to Monaghan.
    Again.
    http://www.hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=229339

Looks like Jamie Queeney could be back in the squad next year.

A comparitively experienced Monaghan side though but unfortunately revenge will have to wait.

Encouraging performances from Mark O'Sullivan, someone who I thought would develop into a big player for Meath along with Ciaran Lenihan and Paddy Gilsenan - just goes to show how tough it is to make the grade. Can't see him playing centre half in the league but maybe we'll see him at wing-back. Moynalvey and Ratoath forming the backbone of a Meath senior football team? Interesting times.

We'll be on Setanta 3 times. Kildare, Laois and Down.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=229386

Back into it on Sunday with the joys of the O'Byrne Cup. Very experimental lineup as you would expect

Andy Markey (St Peter's, Dunboyne); Darren Brennan (Moynalvey), Conor McGill (Ratoath), Nicky Judge (Ballinabrackey); Ciaran McConnell (Bective), Neil Shorthall (Curraha), David Dalton (Summerhill); Harry Rooney (Skryne), Adam Flanagan (Clonard); Fergus Toolan (Dunshaughlin), Damien Carroll (Ballinabrackey), Graham Reilly (St Colmcilles); Sean Tobin (Simonstown Gaels), Jamie Queeney (Na Fianna), Ruairi O'Dowd (Walterstown).

Subs: Paddy O'Rourke (Skryne), Donal Keogan (Rathkenny), Donnacha Tobin (Blackhall Gaels), Bryan Menton (Donaghmore-Ashbourne), Tom McCullen (Ballinlough), David Bray (Navan O'Mahonys), Joey Wallace (Ratoath).

Nom are senior champions...and one on the panel... is there something im missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

I assume its pay at the gate, correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Suppose we got the best of both worlds today. The new faces all got a chance to show what they have to offer in the first half, then when things began to look ugly they could bring on Bray, Menton, Keoghan, Tobin and Wallace to guarantee a result. On to the midweek game vs. Longford now.

Decent second half performance. Menton really made the difference when he came on. Thought Conor McGill did ok at full back for his first competitive game. Biggy was great but it always worries me when he runs riot in January.
    Should see more new faces on Wednesday. Noticed there were only 22 players in the squad today with everyone except Paddy getting a runout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I thought in the first half we were very slow to move the ball forward but changed that up a bit in the second half. I liked the look of Sean Tobin too, he showed well and put himself about. McGill done well in full back too, and like Hammer I'm in two minds about seeing Biggy running amok in January, but after last season it will do his confidence a world of good. I'm not one for stats but I seen Fergal Lynch on twitter saying that was Westmeath's 15 competitive loss in a row.

Hopefully we see another few new faces on Wednesday and it's potentially on to a winner takes all with DCU next weekend.

when things began to look ugly they could bring on Bray, Menton, Keoghan, Tobin and Wallace to guarantee a result. On to the midweek game vs. Longford now.

Maybe I'm over critical for January but would be nice if we didn't need to rely on these guys to force a result and the new faces stepped up to the mark.
    Anyway good to start with a win.

Decent second half performance. Menton really made the difference when he came on. Thought Conor McGill did ok at full back for his first competitive game. Biggy was great but it always worries me when he runs riot in January.
    Should see more new faces on Wednesday. Noticed there were only 22 players in the squad today with everyone except Paddy getting a runout.

I agree with all of this. It was interesting to see Westmeath with 37 players named.

Regarding the other squad players missing I know that there was a training session yesterday morning for about a dozen players such as Newman, S. Bray, Gillespie etc so that was probably better than bringing a batch of players who werent going to get a run.

Overall, I was happy with the performance. Menton did make a big difference and G Reilly was great and lets hope they both keep that form going forward. I am not sure if either Flanagan or Rooney is at the level for championship midfield yet. Joey Wallace showed his ability when he came on and I agree with rpurfield ref Sean Tobin.He should get a decent run in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I seen a post on our club's Facebook page that the DCU match is moved to Saturday evening at 7pm, however I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. The Longford match is on at 7.30pm Wednesday, can ye all come on time this time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

iDave wrote: »
    Maybe I'm over critical for January but would be nice if we didn't need to rely on these guys to force a result and the new faces stepped up to the mark.
    Anyway good to start with a win.

You're right, I'd also like to have seen how the new lads respond to being 3 points down with 10 minutes left. We dont really learn much from Reilly popping over points against Westmeath in January, or David Bray grabbing an important goal. We already knew they can do that.

That said, faced with a choice between losing with a team of new faces, or winning by giving 20 minutes to the big guns, I think winning comes first.

If we could unearth a man-marker in the full-back line and maybe a no.6 during the winter it would give us all kinds of options going into the league. It would free up Keoghan and Menton (although I feel the Ashbourne man is still probably our best full-back). Being realistic though our hands are tied when there are quite a few players committed to their college teams.

Still puzzling over why Mick O'Dowd described Biggy as being a player who as seven or eight seasons under his belt when he made his championship debut in 2010? He does come out with some chestnuts, our Micko.

rpurfield wrote: »
    I seen a post on our club's Facebook page that the DCU match is moved to Saturday evening at 7pm, however I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. The Longford match is on at 7.30pm Wednesday, can ye all come on time this time:D
    See it on the Hoganstand fixture list as Saturday at 7 as well. Pleasantly surprised at the attendance yesterday. Must have been between 1 and 2 thousand at it. Was expecting a few hundred max. Not as much as the O'Byrne Cup final there back in the 2000s which had around 12000 at it if I remember correctly. That was a very surreal atmosphere for a January game.

With regards to the established players coming on, I suppose there needs to be a balance between trying out new players and getting the players that will start in the league match fit. No point in going into the Galway game in February with very few of our players starting having played a competitive game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Graham Reilly would've made his debut in 2008 so this would be his eighth season. Hopefully it's one of his better ones - he had the shooting boots with him yesterday that's for sure.

The likes of Conor McGill and Adam Flanagan look good prospects. Obviously you can never be sure until they are pitched into the big games but they impressed very much for the u21s last year and I thought done well yesterday.

McGill has a commanding look about him and I was impressed with how on at least 3 occasions he was able to just gently ease his man out of the way and let the ball run wide when his man looked favourite to get it. Flanagan has an athletic look about him. He's similar to Gillespie. A big stride on him and he likes being in possession and giving a pass.

There were others who impressed and others you might be wondering if they'll make it or not. But it's early days and that was only one game. As a team I liked how Meath were able to crowd the man in possession and force mistakes. One thing I'd like to see them keep on improving on is being more clinical on the break.

I think Meath suffered a lot with injuries in the O'Byrne Cup last year and it kind of continued into the League. Will Micko rest the likes of Bray, Newman, the two O'Rourke's, Gillespie and Tormey throughout the O'Byrne Cup? If you look at the Dublin team yesterday, the big names like the Brogans, Flynn, McAuley, O'Carroll and McCarthy are all being rested.

Advertisement