Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Landlord provide bin

Options
  • 12-03-2012 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Landlord is renting house for first time and has not provided bin. I always understood that the LL provided the bin but the tenant pays the charges. Cannot find any info. on line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Landlord is renting house for first time and has not provided bin. I always understood that the LL provided the bin but the tenant pays the charges. Cannot find any info. on line.

It depends. Generally, bin company will provide the bins FoC but is totally dependent on the history of the house in terms of previous bin contracts etc... if there have never been bins there before, then company will provide them to the subscriber (tenant).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Heard one of the Castlebar Town Councillors saying that landlords should provide a bin to stop all the littering that tenants are allegedly doing.

Bins are specific to the refuse collectors. If you pay the charge, you get the bin. You can bring it with you to your next property if it's in the area collected.

Just because the landlord provides a bin does not mean that the charge will be paid if there is a reliance on the tenant to pay it directly to the refuse collector.

There is no hard and fast rule as regards who would pay but it should be set out in your lease but in general terms, if a tenant engages a service or a supply, whether that be Electricity, gas, cable tv, or bins, they should pay for it directly.

It may of course suit some tenants to bring their refuse the the amenity centre periodically. Cheaper too. Would they want to be stuck with the charges in this instance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Anywhere I rented a house, I always had to contact a bin company of my choosing to avail of a bin service. The company would provide a bin to me for a deposit which was refunded upon me returning the bin when/if I was moving out. Apartment is a different story but a LL should have bins and management fees incorporated into the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

As stated above: the bins are the property of the waste collection company you are using. Nothing to do with the LL.

There were no bins when we moved into the house we are currently living in (but plenty of black bin bags in the garden, left behind by the previous tenant).

LL took the bags away and we signed up with CityBin who delivered the bins 2 days later.

As I see it - your waste, your responsibility!

Advertisement