Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal History, Myth Making or Historical Lies?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

I came across a book called Lebor an Clann Glas (Book of the Green Race) written by an Australian called Frank O'Collins who claims his family tree back to the Druids (Holly or Holy Men which he claims are the O'Cuilleain) in Ireland. I have read most of the book and have encountered quite a few inaccuracies and wild claims within the text. Is there any serious history buffs or scholars on ancient Irish history / mythology who could identify some of less obvious historical inaccuracies within this book (link below) and point to primary source material such as the extant Irish Annals / Book of Invasions or any other such texts which contradicts his claims?

I can't work out if his work mere fantasy, personal myth making or an attempt at very bad historical revisionism bordering on lies. For those who don't know Frank O'Collins he is the author of an 'open source knowledge and truth system of law and society called the UCADIAN model' which has a growing number of adherents to his mission to 'restore the law'. If he is pulling the wool over people's eyes it would be good to let others know if their future relies on shonky information being promulgated by him.

http://one-ireland.org/sacred_texts/clann_glas/clann_glas_0010.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

dSTAR wrote: »
    I can't work out if his work mere fantasy, personal myth making or an attempt at very bad historical revisionism bordering on lies.

Just reading the contents is a dead give away.

Druids didn't do books and we know very little about them and their beliefs as nothing was written down. Scriptures and scribes was a Christian thing really.

The Milesian stuff is pure fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

CDfm wrote: »
    Just reading the contents is a dead give away.

Druids didn't do books and we know very little about them and their beliefs as nothing was written down. Scriptures and scribes was a Christian thing really.

The Milesian stuff is pure fantasy.

That and "Lebor Clann Glas" doesn't make any grammatical sense in the Irish language. (In this case Lebor is old Irish, leabhar been the modern irish)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It's on a par with my signed photograph of the Chief Druid of All Ireland shaking hands with St Patrick after snowmobiling up the Sugar Loaf Mountain - in colour.

I'm far to polite to say what I really think, but I'll give you a clue - it is a five letter word, beginning and ending with the letter 'e'.

tac

Advertisement