Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

topsoil or multi purpose compost??

Options
  • 12-03-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

i've got a number of raised beds I want to fill and not sure whether to put multipurpose compost in them or get topsoil for them, will be growing fruit and veg in them in a polytunnel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It all depends on the size of your wallet to be honest. What are the dimensions of the beds? You can buy mixes from garden centres and nurseries but it can cost a small fortune.
    I have 2 beds, one down each side, 16 foot x 4 foot ach. I almost filled them with topsoil and then added lots of cattle manure last autumn. It was the cheapest option for me. I'll continue to add seaweed and my own compost to keep the price down.

I think the best way to go when starting off, if cost is an issue, is to use your own soil (with large stones removed) and ammend it. You could plant in compost 'pockets' for the coming season using store bought multipurpose. Also get a large tub of fertiliser like Blood, fisha nd bone or Growmore. Chicken pellets are good too. Then in the autumn find a source of manure and put as much in as you can. This should rot in nicely for next yera. Start making your own compost too if you don't already. And if you are close to the sea look into collecting seweed, it's great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pepperpixie

not sure of the actual dimenions of the beds, they are raised up on stilts iykwim, have 6 in total think i have 4 5'x2' and 2 3'x2'. TBH i don't have a great budget and don't have any topsoil myself, was thinking of buying a 1 tonne bag of topsoil with compost mixed in. Don't make my own compost as yet, had thought about it but seeing as i'm struggling with rats at the moment i'm a bit nervous to start composting. :( So maybe the cheapest option then is to go with the bag of topsoil and then just mix in some multi purpose compost??

It's hard to say to be honest. You'd be surprised how much a raised bed can hold and your 1 tonne might not go very far. I think 1 tonne would cost anywhere from 60 - 80.
    Write out your measuments and give a few nurseries a ring for quotes to fill them and then you'll have a better idea where you stand. You can get topsoil by digging out the paths between the beds, also outside the tunnel and barrow it in.
    There are other ways around it so you don't have to fill the beds all at once. You could do it over time. You could turn the soil in the tunnel and plant on the flat. Woodies for example are doing 2 x 100 ltrs bags of compost for a tenner. That could go a long way. You could dig your hole for tomato plant and fill it with this compost, and plant into this 'pocket'. Then bit by bot over time you can add topsoil, compost etc. But definately plan to get lots of manure next autmn to put inthe beds. That should see you right for next year.

Also consider planting into large pots or buckets. Toms do very well this way but would require more attention for watering.

great thanks for the advice, unfortunately i can't get much soil from my own land, most of it was covered with very mature tress and shrubs which had overgrown, hubby cut the whole lot down 2 years ago so there are still giant roots everywhere, tried a couple of times to dig into the ground but it was next to impossible, that's why i'm going with the raised beds. I had a couple of growrings last year and got 1 tonne of topsoil mixed with compost from a local firm for 35 euro. Was thinking of gathering sea weed in the summer when at the beach with the kids to make seaweed tea, is it ok to use the stuff that's washed up on the beach, or does it have to be picked fresh from the sea??

• Advertisement

wow 35 is a great price, go for that so. You should only use the stuff that is washed up (some people say not to even take this) but most people do. Picking it fresh would be a no no from an environmental point of view. It's also great stuff chopped and dug into the soil in autumn/winter.

brilliant thanks Redser, guess i'll be bringing the kids to the beach lots of times this year :D

Think i'll get a tonne of the mixed top soil then and see how many that would do and top up with bags of the multipupose compost as and when i have the money.

In relation to composting, have you heard of the little pig, or know if its' any good?? Or have you heard of this crowd www.hotbincomposting.com???

Not sure the traditional type would suit a lazy impatient person such as myself.

I've heard of it but I don't know anything about it really. Looks very expensive though. If you think how many thousands of litres of compost you could buy with that money. Think you would be better off using a traditional cone bin. I know you have problems with rats but some people put wiremesh under them and it seems to sort them out. They pop up second hand on adverts.ie or freetradeireland.com, sometimes for free. In general people say rats aren't a problem, they are more after cooked food.
    You can speed up the composting by adding grass clipping, seaweed and if you're open minded :) adding wee really speeds the process up and builds up great heat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Topsoil is good but it needs a "kick" in it.

Add in plenty of compost,manure and also a good bit of horticultural grit.

The grit gives good drainage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Pic of what I posted above.

Fresh/NewTopsoil with compost,manure and horticultural grit mixed in.

• Advertisement

thanks Paddy, ok for one of the smaller beds i bought an organic vegetable compost, this is for my strawberries, my eldest son is very anxious to get these sewn, then for the bigger beds i'll get the topsoil mixed with compost, and then buy some farmyard manure and put it into it, never heard of the horticularal grit must look into this.

was thinking of getting some chicken manure pellets then for during the season?? Seems a shame seeing as i have chickens, as i said earlier i'm not composting (yet).

Oh lord you have chickens! It's great stuff. Read up on it and dont waste any.

Advertisement