Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whitestown Mulhuddart or Blanchardstown ?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 12:23pm

Keep reading in the Evening Herald about Things going on in Whitestown. They keep referring to Whitestown Mulhuddart. I always thought it was Blanchardstown. When i google it , i get both Blanchardstown and Mulhuddart.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Keep reading in the Evening Herald about Things going on in Whitestown. They keep referring to Whitestown Mulhuddart. I always thought it was Blanchardstown. When i google it , i get both Blanchardstown and Mulhuddart.

It is Mulhuddart and Mulhuddart is in Blanchardstown. Clonsilla maybe slightly different in that it's an area on it's own.

I'm sure some are going to contradict this. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The addresses on google maps have half of that estate as being Mulhuddart and half as being Blanchardstown but I happen to know the deeds of houses in the estate say Clonsilla as will a registry land search but Sheepmore across the road from it comes up as Blanchardstown. It's one of those weird inconsistencies with how the place is divided up.

All of the Dublin 15 area gets refered to by people as being Blanchardstown when it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Sharrow wrote: »
    All of the Dublin 15 area gets refered to by people as being Blanchardstown when it's not.

And if you're buying a house in D15, Castleknock suddenly becomes a surprisingly large area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Polar101 wrote: »
    And if you're buying a house in D15, Castleknock suddenly becomes a surprisingly large area.

and those people will suffer because allot of houses are not in castleknock and the boundary commission will clear it up. Soon.

Take Brady's pub, the houses in that are are addressed as Castleknock but they are not. The railway track is a fairly good idea of where Castleknock is.

Roselawn road folks is not Castleknock but some people think it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Polar101 wrote: »

can-o-worms.gif

Whitestown is in the Mulhuddart electoral division (as is Clonsilla), however, its often referred to as either Clonsilla or Blanchardstown in the media. When I was growing up, Whitestown would have been considered Blanch as opposed to Clonsilla or Mulhuddart. Looking at some of the historic maps on http://maps.osi.ie, the area known now as Whitestown appears to be in 'Coolmine' and is certainly a lot closer to Mulhuddart than Blanch.

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barony_of_Castleknock
    It is one of seven and a half baronies that used to comprise the old County Dublin. It stretches from Cabra to Blanchardstown (from east to west) and from Finglas to Chapelizod (from north to south). It is located between the baronies of Coolock to the east, Upper Cross to the south and Newcastle to the southwest.[2] The whole of the barony is contained within the modern county of Fingal and it is subject to Fingal County Council.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barony_of_Castleknock#Civil_parish_of_Castleknock
    Townlands in the civil parish of Castleknock:[3].
    Gaelic English
    Baile an Aba Abbotstown
    Baile an Ásaigh Ashtown
    Baile an Chairpintéaraigh Carpenterstown
    Baile an Déanaigh Deanestown
    Baile an Diosualaigh Diswellstown
    Baile an Huntaigh Huntstown
    Baile an Phóirtéaraigh Porterstown
    Baile Bhlainséir Blanchardstown
    Baile Mhistéil Mitchelstown
    Baile Pheiléid Pelletstown
    Baile Scriobail Scribblestown
    Baile Sheáin Johnstown
    An Chabrach Cabra
    Caisleán Cnucha Castleknock (incl. part of Phoenix Park)
    Ceapach Cappoge or Cappagh
    Cnoc na gCaorach Sheephill
    An Chorr Dhubh Corduff
    Dún Sinche Dunsink
    Páirc Anna Annfield
    Snugborough Snugborough
    Steach Gob Astagob
    Civil parish of Clonsilla

Townlands in the civil parish of Clonsilla:
    Gaelic English
    Baile an Bhearbóraigh Barberstown
    Baile an Bhlácaigh Blakestown
    Baile an Hartaigh Hartstown
    Baile Fiobail nó Páirc Hans Phibblestown or Hansfield
    Baile Lotrail Woodlands
    Baile Uí Cheallaigh Kellystown
    Cluain Saileach Clonsilla
    Cnoc an Sciobóil Barnhill
    Cúil Mhín Coolmine
    Gort na Giolcaí Broomfield
    Móinteán na gCaorach Sheepmoor
    Steach Gob Astagob
    Teach Chainnigh Castaheany

It is one of the old ways that places were divided up and a lot of the post codes are still based on it and so is the land registry entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Sharrow wrote: »
    It is one of the old ways that places were divided up and a lot of the post codes are still based on it and so is the land registry entries.

That may be so but it doesn't answer the original question on the whereabouts of Whitestown. Like much of Dublin, its in the barony of Castleknock. I suspect its in the civil parish of Clonsilla (as is Blakestown, Hartstown and Coolmine) and the Mulhuddart electoral division. In my experience, the area is most often referred to as Blanchardstown from a postal perspective, go figure...

. I suspect its in the civil parish of Clonsilla (as is Blakestown, Hartstown and Coolmine) and the Mulhuddart electoral division.

It is.
    In my experience, the area is most often referred to as Blanchardstown from a postal perspective, go figure...

I've seen postal addresses with either Clonsilla or Blanchardstown used but I have never seen mulhuddart used as a postal address in conjunction with Whitestown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

and those people will suffer because allot of houses are not in castleknock and the boundary commission will clear it up. Soon.

Take Brady's pub, the houses in that are are addressed as Castleknock but they are not. The railway track is a fairly good idea of where Castleknock is.

Roselawn road folks is not Castleknock but some people think it is :D

According to Fingals townland the boundary is closer to to the M50 than the cancel. Much of what people think of Castleknock is Diswellstown

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castleknock#Feudal_period

Hunting around I found this debate on it. Read it from the end backward to get it the facts quicker.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=6139

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The whole this is/is not Catleknock discussion has been done to death on other threads and is definitely off-topic for this one. This is about Whitestown and Mulhuddart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I'm from Huntstown and my address has always been Mulhuddart..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What is the legally correct name? I assume the townland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I suppose I may as well add my 2 cents to this.. I have since moved but growing up my address was as follows.. ## Whitestown Park, Blakestown, Dublin 15..... Then eventually it turned to Blanchardstown as the area grew in size, it was never Mulhuddart.

The news is hilarious when reporting on things that happens in Blanchardstown, depending on what has happened each reporter seems to take the decision to change where in fact an individual thing has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

As far as im aware if your on driving down whitestown road towards the centre. Any houses to the left are in Mulhuddart, houses to the right are blakestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Whitestown Road I'm sure you mean Blakestown Way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

garkane wrote: »
    Whitestown Road I'm sure you mean Blakestown Way ;)

Well thank you very much for spotting there is no road called whitestown road. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I don't think that anyone in Dublin 15 knows where each village starts and finishes. Roll on some sort of postal code system where the D1 to D2? is dropped.

There was one launched 2 years ago but an post doesn't want to use it.
    http://www.techcentral.ie/article.aspx?id=15318

An overhaul of the process was called for in 2005 but well as you can see it never happened.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_codes_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Advertisement