Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-packed hospital bag?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Just a question to put to mums-to-be, would you be interested in ordering a pre-packed hospital bag to save you getting it all together yourself? I had my son last June and from experience I know that while I enjoyed getting some of the hospital things myself like clothes and toiletries, I would of been glad of getting a pre-packed bag full of all the other basic things like maternity pads and nipple cream plus basic baby stuff like nappy bags and cream........Would people buy something like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Winnie wrote: »
    Just a question to put to mums-to-be, would you be interested in ordering a pre-packed hospital bag to save you getting it all together yourself? I had my son last June and from experience I know that while I enjoyed getting some of the hospital things myself like clothes and toiletries, I would of been glad of getting a pre-packed bag full of all the other basic things like maternity pads and nipple cream plus basic baby stuff like nappy bags and cream........Would people buy something like this?

That's a fantastic idea! :eek: I think mother care might have them already (not too sure) but it's a fantastic idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

maybe for the second baby??

But I have to say I enjoyed getting all my stuff together..Something new..

Now im sure having said that I have probably forgotten something.. However, im due in a few weeks so Ill let you know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Winnie wrote: »

Honestly? not really. I think prepping the bag is one of the most exciting things and helps to pass the time before the baby arrives. I'm due number 2 any day now and I've enjoyed packing the bag this time as much as the first.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

All opinions welcome.......within reason of course! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

I don't really think so, it's a good idea in theory, but in reality building your bag is part of the excitement of pregnancy,

Also I cannot imagine buying them pre made would be cheap so another reason I would prefer to do it myself.

In my family it's tradition for Nanny of Baby to build the hospital bag so my mam is doing it for me.. It's exciting for her and she feels involved and any personal things I want ie tens machine, water spray bottle etc I can add.

• Advertisement

I understand wanting to do it yourself but some people dont or cant. Also I would add the option of adding other things to the list to put in the bag so people will have control over what goes in their bag. I would be taking the hassle out of getting the bag together for some people and helping them in not forgetting anything important. Once bag is packed, it will be delivered to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

Winnie I seen few on ebay already,
    It may be good idea for some people - I had a friend who spend most pregnancy in bed. She wasn't able to prepare bag herself so she get this ready - I think she bought it in USA via web.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think it could be a good idea, it actually occured to me a week or two ago, but usually when something comes in a package like that there is no room for extras that you might want to include - so you would need a bag that you could put extras into from home such as a book, makeup or whatever 'essentials' you think you need.

Then some stuff like the toiletries are very personal choice.

If you had a website where you could tick what you wanted in your bag, for instance a choice of a range of 10 travel size shampoos and you could choose your favourite brand then it could work. Different women have different preferences - some love the hospital maternity pads, others swear by the Always brand.

I would have no interest in the little hotel-type shampoos and soaps. Its rare that I like the smell of them or that they feel good on my skin, so I'd have to go with travel sizes of well known brands.

I'd be like the others here - I am looking forward to shopping and picking out the little bits and bobs I need. If there was a readymade bag, someone in my family would get it for me and I would miss out on the choosing and planning, and would be kind of disappointed.

They would be great for emergencies, but if it was an online thing, you'd be quicker sending out your sister/mam to the shops - you couldnt wait for even a quick postal delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

There are already one or two websites do them. Fairly expensive too. It is a good idea if someone couldn't or didn't want to do it, but Id prefer to have my own things that I picked myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I think Neyite's idea is good where you can pick and choose from a site what you would like to put in it, like arnica, shampoos, breast pads etc..

Alternatively it might be better as a gift idea for a mum to be. e.g. A nice bag that you could give a friend who is pregnant with a few starter items such as mini shampoo, bio oil, era plugs, eye mask, etc.. and then a list of things that she should get to fill the bag herself so that she can still enjoy that part.

I think that you are thinking on the lines of a good business idea, anything pregnancy related gets lots of money in my opinion. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone for their comments and ideas, I was already thinking along similar lines to Neyite's idea. I am already currently designing a website (as I am a web designer too!). I was going to have different budget bags with less or more stuff in them plus the option to add any other items wanted. Once bag was made up, I would then deliver to front door of customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

I might Winnie :) my hospital bag is not something I am not overly excited about putting together myself so if it was convenient & an ok price I would certainly have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Winnie,

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in getting a hospital bag like that because I think it would be cheaper to pick up the stuff myself, and it's part of the excitement of getting prepared IMO. With the lists of stuff all over the net it's easy to print one off and get things bit by bit along the way. I know there are tons of companies aimed at pregnancy and babies etc. but with the high end stuff I'd only really buy as presents for other people as it's not practical to buy everything all nicely packaged etc. for yourself. Saying that, though, I would definitely buy a similar pack for sister or a friend - maybe not a hospital bag as such, but definitely all those bits and bobs put into a nice hamper to give her when she got home from hospital. There's nothing like receiving a nice gift set of all your favourite stuff.

Best of luck with your venture and let us know when you're up & running - maybe I'll be too busy to pack my own hospital bag when I'm on baby number 2 ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

That's a great idea Neyite about a website where you tick the stuff off. I hate packing for anything and end up putting too much of one thing or not enough of the other and end up with stuff I never need. So if I was going for another baby I would love a ready made bag! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I think it's a good idea. I was going to get one as a gift for a pregnant friend, but before I got the chance to order it another friend had organised one for her.

I came across them on Ebay, but coming from the UK they were fairly expensive due to postage.

If they were well priced I could definitely see the appeal.
    This coming from someone that loved packing her own bag both times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Winnie: You have your free market research now :)

If you do go ahead with this please remember the rules about advertising on boards. We will have no problem with you having a link in your signature to your site and participating in the forum as you do now. But if you wish you advertise it directly you'll need to go through HQ.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement