Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to write the surname Winters as gaeilge?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

In school I was told to write gheimhridhí
    for winters as a second name.

Wondering if a fluent Irish speaker can help please :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try the Irish language forum instead:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Whoever told you that is evidently not well versed in either Irish or history.

There are a number of Winters's if you understand me - some Irish in origin, some / Norse / Norman (de Winter) and some ye olde English / Viking.

The Irish version of the Irish name is likely to be "Mac Giolla Gheimhridh" - the son of the servant of Winter/Wynter/de Winter/Winters. The Mac Giolla bit seems to be a catch-all when the origin of the name itself is lost in the mysts of tyme.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shellita

Thanks ;)

Can I post a new threat in that forum or do I have to post in a thread already created?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shellita

mathepac wrote: »
    "Mac Giolla Gheimhridh"

ah ok so for daughter would it be "Ní Giolla Gheimhridh" ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Okay folks, take it over to the Irish forum.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement