Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor customer service gave me wrong info?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a Meteor bill-pay customer on "Bill Pay Smart Lite €50 1 month" plan (I can't find details of this plan online anymore, I just found the wording of it on my online account).

Last week I was away in Holland. I am opted into the "No roaming charges in Europe" scheme that they have. When I landed I wasn't sure what the story was with data on that plan. When I used my phone to go online a warning page popped up to say that I would be charged €1.01 per mb. I get 2gb of data per month with my plan but figured that since I was abroad I wouldn't be entitled to that (like you're not entitled to your free calls and texts while abroad) but I thought that since I had opted in for their no-roaming charges I shouldn't be charged that much for data. I thought all Meteor customers could browse the internet for 99 cent per day, however I'm after reading now that that was for pre-pay users, and for bill-pay there were add-ons that could be purchased.

Anyway I decided to give customer service a ring just to clarify as I didn't want to use the internet if I was going to be charged huge prices. I told her I had opted into the no-roaming charges and that I was enquiring as to what I would be charged for data usage. I told her that the screen had come up saying I would be charged for €1.01 per mb, but I wanted to know would I only be charged the 99 cent per day. She seemed a bit confused and put me on hold to check something and then came back and said that yes, I would only be charged 99 cent per day. I asked was that definitely the case, and she said yes. I asked could I ignore the screen that said I'd be charged €1.01 per mb and she said yes. So I was happy enough with that.

However when I looked at my bill online today it shows that I was charged the €1.01 per mb. I had a feeling this would happen so I had taken note of the girl's name I spoke to and the time of the call.

Can I go back to Meteor and tell them that I was given incorrect information and that I am not paying for the data charges? They're only about €18 or so but I still would obviously rather not pay them. My worry is is that I had wrong information also (regarding the 99 cent per day) but surely the girl on the phone should have been aware that what I was saying was wrong and she should have known the correct information to tell me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It is 99cent per day and the normal rate kicks in when you have used 50MB but this rate DOES NOT apply when roaming!

It sounds like she gave you correct information for using your phone in ireland and unless you specifically requested the rates for roaming in any particular country you would get the Irish rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It is 99cent per day and the normal rate kicks in when you have used 50MB but this rate DOES NOT apply when roaming!

It sounds like she gave you correct information for using your phone in ireland and unless you specifically requested the rates for roaming in any particular country you would get the Irish rate.

Obviously I told her I was abroad in Europe and was enquiring about data roaming charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Of course you can (and should) go back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Zab wrote: »
    Of course you can (and should) go back to them.
    Tell me Meteor you want a copy of the phone conversation .That should sort it
    out.

Advertisement