Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen Advice

Options
  • 12-03-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've just purchased a new MacBook Pro for some of the Graphics and Web Design work which I am doing. However, over the next few months, I will be doing some film editing work, and would like to have a bigger screen area.

Naturally, my first idea is to lash out and buy an Apple Thunderbold 27" display, but the €1k price tag is a big wall to climb!

So, the advice, could anyone recommend any good alternatives to me which I could use instead, that would share similar quality to the Apple display, while still look pretty groovy!

All assistance and advice very much appreciated.

Rgds

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Will you be doing any colour grading? If so what kind of level of colour grading will you be looking to do? Apple screens are way over priced imho and not ideal for colour correction.

The Dell Ultra Sharp series are supposed to be good. What's the max resolution supported on your MBP?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

pandaboy wrote: »
    Will you be doing any colour grading? If so what kind of level of colour grading will you be looking to do? Apple screens are way over priced imho and not ideal for colour correction.

The Dell Ultra Sharp series are supposed to be good. What's the max resolution supported on your MBP?

I'm not sure what you mean by colour grading? Does this mean to match colours to a hex code sheet?

The max resolution is 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display

Thanks

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Apologies for the delay in response. No, by colour grading I meant as to whether you would be colour correcting and grading your video footage? Would your screen be used to this extent? If so then then this will affect your choice in screen. You will be looking for something to monitor the true colour aspects of the image. Basically you want your monitor to give you a tv broadcast quality image.

If it's just for editing though you could probably get a sweet screen for near half the price of an Apple Display. Something around the "27 mark?

Asus 27"Widescreen VK278Q 2ms Response

This has got a display port input, 2 millisecond response, full HD with HDMI.

I think going against this would be the fact that the display will not match the full res of your MBP but it does host display port and it's just over a third of the cost of an Apple display.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

There is always this - it was discussed in the off topic thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77416516&postcount=671

Baza210 wrote: »
    The image at the start is a joke. It's not a very serious site.

The point of the article is that separate headphones + microphone give you greater flexibility, performance, and value.

Anyway, came across this interesting thing on /r/battlestations - http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270 apparently it's the same LG panel as the 27" iMac / Apple Cinema display, but it's €300 shipped on eBay http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-Q270-SE-27-LED-2560X1440-WQHD-DVI-D-Dual-Computer-Monitor-/110834882557?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19ce4617fd

I think teabag was going to get it, so maybe ask him if he ordered it etc.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    There is always this - it was discussed in the off topic thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77416516&postcount=671

I think teabag was going to get it, so maybe ask him if he ordered it etc.

I like the look of that. It totally beats the pants off my selection. Don't know what refresh time is but if it's LED it should be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Thanks for all the replies, this is great. I'm glad to know that I may be able to avoid compromising quality for less money!

2560 by 1600 pixels screens seem to be thin on the ground, anyone got any other recommendations from known brands?

Many thanks

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There are very few constants regarding technology as it is always evolving. However one sure fire rule is that Apple will always try to rip you off regardless of what they are selling be it a computer, a monitor, a phone or a music player. You pay about double the price for what you could get from another seller.

They all want to make money but when you start seeing 600% markup prices, its time to walk away. I'm glad you went looking for some info because most people don't and just assume they are getting a decent deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

2560 by 1600 pixels screens seem to be thin on the ground, anyone got any other recommendations from known brands?

There is only one monitor really worth mentioning, and that's the Dell U3011, which will also set you back 1 large.

If you want to settle for 2560x1440 (same resolution as the 27" Apple), Dell and Samsung offer 27" monitors with this resolution for a lot less than Apple. The Dell U2711 costs 569 yoyos over at komplett.

Advertisement