Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damp Lawn repair

Options
  • 12-03-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

So its time to tackle the lawn :(

i was suppose to to do it last year but the rest of the flowerbeds etc took priority, and so far this year i have a fatsia determinied to take over the world:)......but its all under control so now i have time for the lawn!

Long story short the lawn went in but never caught on fully, and at this stage its a little collection of weeds, moss and some grass in places, its also damp..very damp, and the further away from the house the damper it gets.

So ive started the weeding, getting them all up and it just confirms for me that there are a lot of compacted areas with no growth at all, so my plan would be this

1. finish getting all the weeds up
    2. cut the grass right down
    3. Run a scarifier over the lawn in all directions getting all the bad stuff up
    4. use a hand aerator tool to take cores out at 3 inch intervals
    5 spread a mix of topsoil and grass seed over the lawn...filling in the aerating holes as i go

I'm hoping this weilds some sort of results for me.....can anyone here advise if im doing this in the right order...should my mixture contain more than seed and topsoil etc

Any advise very much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Sounds like you need to put some drainage channels in first!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to put some drainage channels in first!

ouch....that sounds beyond my ability.....im off to google drainage channels...cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

now that i read a little bit, i never have surface water.....ever.....after heavy rain ill have a more soggy and compacted lawn...but never enough to have pools on the lawn. Could it be that a decent aerate and resand would do the job?

Advertisement