Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is best for trade-ins?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 2:55pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but who out of the major retailers is generally the best value for trade-ins?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

GAME.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Do they offer more for store credit than cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think he was joking. Trade in prices can vary considerably depending on the shop and the game. The best thing to do is ring a few places gamestop, hmv, xtravision, etc and ask what they would give you for it. If you get the line 'we can't check over the phone' then they are just being lazy.

Best trade in prices I've found is with Irish online store gamesnash.ie. Send em an email for a quote and they will include the delivery price it costs to send them your game(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Do they offer more for store credit than cash?
    Heh, I was kidding. I can't see them being around for much longer. :)

On a more serious note, as far as I'm aware there isn't any one best retailer for second hand prices, it will vary per game per store. If you really want the best price for your stuff then your best bet will be adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

It depends on the stock in each shop too. Xtra vision in Limerick (Parkway) wouldn't take some of my older games (FIFA 09, etc) because they would never sell. Xtra vision in Athlone did take them off me though (only for 50c or €1, but better than gathering dust on my shelf)

So yeh, best advice is to give a ring around.

And in my experience, I've always got more for store credit/trading in against a purchase than cash in hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

HMV are on average the best as far as I can tell.

Game.Stop have a deal where if you trade in a game towards a pre-order, you get 25% extra credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

CEX for me.

You can check their current trade in prices on their website which is handy too:

http://ie.webuy.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thanks guys. I normally would use GameNash but I need to get rid of them today so I can get ME3. I'll see what HMV are offering for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I've found the price they are selling the game you want for is as important, no point getting €20 credit in HMV if you can get €30 credit/cash somewhere else (obviously generalising, you nearly always get a lot less for cash) and pay less overall for the game.

Smyths (try the Software Zone FB page or their main one, they give cash or credit values when asked!), HMV, Xtra-Vision, (tend to respond the slowest to a games dwindling price drop IMO!) or Gamestop are tue best bet for a quick deal.

And yeah generally they'll fob you off over the phone but I've been involved in more arguments about a price offered over the phone that can't be honoured (due to time elapsed, can't accept the game at all due to condition, or even in misunderstanding to the game/format being traded) that when I do give a price it'll be with a disclaimer at the end nowadays!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

I have to say HMV give fantastic trade in prices. Last week I got €31 for Mario Kart 7.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

So long story short guys I have a bunch of terrible games here which I wanna get rid of(I didn't purchase them,said person got them based on the cover picture on the box).
    Such classics include call of juarez,clive barkers jericho,club,facebreaker,shadowrun,turning point:fall of liberty,fracture,terminator salvation and the list goes on must be about 30 of them.
    Anyway should I bring them into gamestop or what? would I even get 50 cent for them.I'd be as happy to give them away for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

Definitely do not go to Gamestop or HMV, you will get next to nothing for games that are fairly old. Try http://www.gamesnash.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CeX on Liffey street have always done relatively well by me.

Well I'm not even too worried about what I get for them,just wanna get rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Well I'm not even too worried about what I get for them,just wanna get rid of them
    If you just wanna get rid of them, bring them into CeX and donate them to charity. If it's the same as the UK, they'll add 10% to the donation if the whole trade in is for charity. Not sure who they support. It's Muscular Dystrophy and Help For Heroes on the UK

Healium wrote: »
    If you just wanna get rid of them, bring them into CeX and donate them to charity. If it's the same as the UK, they'll add 10% to the donation if the whole trade in is for charity. Not sure who they support. It's Muscular Dystrophy and Help For Heroes on the UK

Is there a Cex branch in either limerick or galway? cause I'm not near dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Only in Dublin for now.Try Adverts.ie with the games too,people are always looking for bargains.

Only in Dublin for now.Try Adverts.ie with the games too,people are always looking for bargains.

Who possibly would want to buy games like these?
    PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Such classics include call of juarez,clive barkers jericho,club,facebreaker,shadowrun,turning point:fall of liberty,fracture,terminator salvation and the list goes on must be about 30 of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

If you dont want them just give them to a local charity shop or trade them into Gamestop or HMV or give them away to a local youth club or if you have a nephews or younger cousins they may have a use for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement