Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking in Beara

Options
  • 12-03-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

Heading to the Beara Peninsula for a couple of days this weekend and I'm hoping to do some hiking. Just wondering if anyone would have any recommendations for good routes?

I understand there's a way marked route, "The Beara Way", although some websites suggest that a lot of this follows tarmac roads, we'd be keener to get off the roads if possible (but obv don't mind following them a bit). We'll hopefully have two days of walking, and would love to do something around the 4hr mark each day.

Any suggestions for walks would be much appreciated! We are staying near Lauragh/Eskadawer

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Eyeball Tickler

This is something I've been wondering myself. Looking at maps of Beara, it seems there's a big enough swathe of hilly country (the Caha Mts I think?) at the eastern end of the peninsula that would be appear to offer some of the most remote hiking in the country, as no roads whatsoever pass through it. To anyone who's hiked the area, is it as good at it looks on the map?

Also, I've heard there are serious access issues to the hills on some areas of the peninsula, is this the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Beara is a great part of the country for walking but due to the rocky nature of the hills in most places, do allow for extra time to complete any walks. Progress is nearly always slower than you might think in my experiences there.

If you're a hillwalker, make up your own routes. For lower level walks, the Beara Way is good but beware that the published maps like OS Discovery can be misleading - as the route has changed in a good few places. I think the reference to access problems mainly refers to this - some landowners perhaps weren't happy as not receiving financial support for route crossing their lands and requested changes. Look up www.irishtrails.ie for most up to date maps of Beara Way

For Loop walks, Discover Ireland http://www.discoverireland.ie/Things-To-Do/Activities-and-Adventure/Walking-and-Hiking/Find-a-Walk where you'll find a selection for Beara..

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

Hungry Hill would be the main attraction in that area, it's a good day out; fairly rugged and can be slippery after wet weather, the views for mthe top are hard to beat.

There are a number of routes, take a look on mountainviews.ie for more details.
    Navigation can be tricky there so make sure you are confident with map/compass/GPS.

The circuit of ridges south of Eskadawer, around the Pocket looks tasty. Don't worry too much about access; just ask in the nearest shop/pub and they'll tip you off about what routes to avoid, if any. The vast majority of people down that way are friendly.

Here are my top tips. I'd say the 4 most obvious mountain * treks ** are...

1. Hungry Hill, the summit that dominates the west of the peninsula. I'd go the SW ridge route. Fantastic views.

2. Cummeengeera Horseshoe/Rabach's Cave. If you're in Eskadower, as they say in pantomimes "it's behind ya". Stunning walk around the circuit of mountain tops.

3. Glenrastel. You can scramble up the giants of Knockowen and Cushnaficulla. As with all treks in Beara, there are enormous inland cliffs, descend with care into the top of the valley and follow the river back out. Do not bother with the Coomnadiha side, all bog burst and heavy going.

4. Sugarloaf/Barley Lake. The attractive conical summit that dominates the Glengarriff end of the peninsula. Again, great views.

* I say mountain, because as a summit bagger I know more about the loftier reaches, I'm sure there are wonderful walks around the beaches and mines at Allihies, along the Beara Way etc.

There are other attractions

5. Lackawee/Maulin/Glanbeg. North of Hungry Hill. As with Glenrastel, the area between Glenmore and Glanbeg is very remote. The area where Beara herself is buried.

** The above are serious outings, there are a number of tamer walks as opposed to treks

6. Dursey Island. The hill is tame, but the island itself with its cliff, seabirds and dramatic history is wonderful. And the cable car is always a novelty.

7. Gleninchiquin. A private venture, so there is a car park and fare, but nice walk around a dramatic waterfall, a few different treks depending on time and experience.

8. Knockatee - an easy one to bag but has a wonderful view over the harbour at Kilmackillogue.

I should say that this is the sw, this is a hilly area, and the sea is all around, expect dramatic changes of weather. Bring maps and a compass, there are a lot of serious drops and the area is covered in slabs. There are many higher mountain ranges than the Cahas, but there are few trickier or more tiring, the terrain is tough going as all the slabs seem to run across the path being taken up any peak. Mobiles may not work in areas too, in fact be prepared for hours of seeing noone else, and no roads, cars, telephone masts, houses etc. There are areas in the Cahas that are as remote as it gets around here. Oh and if you get a chance in the next couple of days, see if your local library can locate Richard Mersey's "The Hills of Cork and Kerry", that you see you off in good form for the Cahas. There is a lovely plaque to him atop Knockatee.

Oh and finally, for more detail on any of the foregoing, try mountainviews.ie. It mentions access issues, I think the issue with 3 above is not so much access as one farmer looks for a few euros...so bring 'em! I myself have not had any problem. I did get a farmer once on one route up the Sugarloaf from Glengarriff telling me that it was the wrong way and pointing out a better route, not sure if that really counts as an access issue or a helping hand!

And another thing that really grinds my gears is when you write a long post with details of a range of walks for someone...and they don't even read it...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

And another thing that really grinds my gears is when you write a long post with details of a range of walks for someone...and they don't even read it...:D

So it wasn't you that won the 1.2 million on the horses:)

You have some great details on hikes in your message, I must give you a shout to meet up and do a few, I rarely get down that far wesht but some of the optons look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

I hope to do a bit of hiking there one one of the next weekends, may thanks for all the good recommendations

So it wasn't you that won the 1.2 million on the horses:)

You have some great details on hikes in your message, I must give you a shout to meet up and do a few, I rarely get down that far wesht but some of the optons look great.

Not sure I've ever bet on the horses, darts is about the only thing I stick money on!

Let me know any time you're down. Off on the Coomloughra Circuit bright and early tomorrow morning. Then a run across some summits in Dingle on Sunday, legs and hangover permitting.

Advertisement