Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Stark wrote: »
    Heaven forbid if Daddy from a traditional marriage isn't all beer and football and bread winning and Mammy isn't all makeup and handbags and staying at home baking the cakes.

Why, that might mean that there could be men who can do makeup and style an outfit? And Mammy has a little problem with the beer and staying out half the night? Oh JAYSUS, we're ruined. RUINED.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You know, I've never heard supporters of "traditional" marriage mention the other definitions of marriage in the Bible. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Daddies cut the grass and mammies bake cakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Bobby42 wrote: »
    Daddies cut the grass and mammies bake cakes!

My Daddy baked cakes and fancy sweet rolls (but then he was a baker) and my Mammy cut the grass (and hedges) and worked outside the home - perhaps this blurring of ye olde traditional gender roles is what turned me queer*. :eek:

....and now that I think on it my granddaddy taught my mammy and her sisters and brother to knit, sew and iron and my granny worked full-time...it's a mystery why my family hasn't died out due to congenital homosexuality induced by gender blurring parents... :confused:

*but strangely had no impact on either my brother or sister's rampant heterosexuality .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    My Daddy baked cakes and fancy sweet rolls (but then he was a baker) and my Mammy cut the grass (and hedges) and worked outside the home - perhaps this blurring of ye olde traditional gender roles is what turned me queer*. :eek:

....and now that I think on it my granddaddy taught my mammy and her sisters and brother to knit, sew and iron and my granny worked full-time...it's a mystery why my family hasn't died out due to congenital homosexuality induced by gender blurring parents... :confused:

*but strangely had no impact on either my brother or sister's rampant heterosexuality .

Ah no wonder my little boy's favourite colour is pink! It's because I bring in the coal, clean out the fire, take out the rubbish and go to work and his daddy cooks, cleans the toilet and sometimes even gets up to him in the night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

#sexualcomplementarity

@DavQuinn

"Nice arse!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Just noticed that somebody has setup a fake David Quinn twitter account. Wonder if he'll sue him.... :pac:
    I'd say Anne Frank sure as hell wouldn't have backed gay marriage. #ccven

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Ah no wonder my little boy's favourite colour is pink! It's because I bring in the coal, clean out the fire, take out the rubbish and go to work and his daddy cooks, cleans the toilet and sometimes even gets up to him in the night!

:eek:

My son must be completely confused as women did all the 'jobs' when he was growing up (and I have the power tools collection to prove it) - he still has 'issues' taking men seriously as his boss, funnily enough his boss is a woman. but - and this is the important bit - somehow he grew up to be straight albeit with an extensive knowledge of Queer culture.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Just noticed that somebody has setup a fake David Quinn twitter account. Wonder if he'll sue him.... :pac:

I demand a linky.

I demand a linky.

Oops, forgot to include the link. Here ya are.

https://twitter.com/iona_ebooks

• Advertisement

The profile pic they choose made me chuckle, usually his face makes me force down my own vomit.

Does the lovely Mr Quinn have kids? Love to see how they turn out! My guess is sexually repressed and indoctrinated so much as to induce paradoxical behaviour.

Does the lovely Mr Quinn have kids? Love to see how they turn out! My guess is sexually repressed and indoctrinated so much as to induce paradoxical behaviour.

Oops of course he does considering his beliefs. Probably eighteen of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yup. And I've been told Ronan Mullen is godfather to one of them (seriously).

Stark wrote: »
    Yup. And I've been told Ronan Mullen is godfather to one of them (seriously).

I just looked at Ronan Mullen's website and that does not surprise me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Would be great if it iona_ebooks ended up with more followers than Mr Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I am happy to help that happen.

Sarky wrote: »
    I am happy to help that happen.

I seriously considered opening a twitter account just to do that, but then I realised that was crazy pain med talk.

robindch wrote: »
    Would be great if it iona_ebooks ended up with more followers than Mr Quinn.

Senator John Crown apparently follows the account. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I dunno, watching my feed, I've been amazed by how much wit people can pack into 140 characters when it comes to pointing out that Quinn is generally regarded as an unspeakably awful <mod> person </mod>.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Since c-sections were perfectly safe here, the procedure was little more than needless butchery. Quinn isn't stupid, so he's obviously trying to belittle the ordeal that these women went through. It's a cruel attitude to take, but if you're looking to corner the local niche as a right wing culture warrior, it makes sense I guess.
    "Needless butchery" to you, but for the RCC it ensured that the women retained their full breeding potential. Unlike the caesarean procedure which, although preferable in almost every other way, carried a risk that a surgical scar left on the uterus would lead to future infertility. This would be tantamount to a RCC ethos hospital performing a sterilization operation, which is just not allowed.

Belittling the ordeal is a strategy to derail any future compensation schemes, which would presumably be paid by the taxpayer anyway, but there is still the possibility that Quinn's buddies would be asked to make a small contribution.

Symphysiotomy survivors seek Dail vote
    A group representing 200 women who suffered a discredited procedure during childbirth has called on the Government to support a private member’s bill in the Dáil next week to facilitate their action against hospitals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Oops of course he does considering his beliefs. Probably eighteen of them.

How many times a year are the ultra religious clowns like quinn allowed fornicate. Are they even allowed think about sex on its own?, or is it just to procreate.

Is this what goes on in the quinn house

David: Wifey dear I feel the urge from god to procreate

Wifey quinn: ..........

She's probably allowed no opinion as women get none in the church he represents. She probably lives like Tom Cruise's ex wife use too.

How many times a year are the ultra religious clowns like quinn allowed fornicate. Are they even allowed think about sex on its own?, or is it just to procreate.

Is this what goes on in the quinn house

David: Wifey dear I feel the urge from god to procreate

Wifey quinn: ..........

She's probably allowed no opinion as women get none in the church he represents. She probably lives like Tom Cruise's ex wife use too.

I'd really love to get photographic evidence of him buying condoms...........

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How many times a year are the ultra religious clowns like quinn allowed fornicate.

Assuming Mr Quinn is a devout Catholic. Then it should go something like this. Marriage is all about sex. Once you get married you must have sex with the intention of procreation. After the first birth, it's acceptable to use Natural Family Planning methods to try to curtail and manage your family size especially if you are experiencing undue social hardship. However, each time you have sex your expressed intent must be open to the will of God and having kids - there can be no attempts to disrupt the natural process. Unnatural family planning and prolonged abstinence when you're in a position to have kids is deemed immoral and should be avoided. If you're married you gotta have kids.
    So, yeah, unless Mr Quinn is trying for kids he can't for sex. Or at least, that's what you would think. However, he can engage in contraceptive methods that aren't artificial. So, for example, having sex and using the so-called 'rhyhmn method' is perfectly acceptable. Any method the church deems 'natural' is acceptable - to a point. It's all rather silly and unnecessary complicated, but then what isn't with religion?

Also, I should add, that this view can vary from Catholic to Catholics so if any Catholics out there feel I bastardised their view. I do apologise. However, I would like to point out in my experience with Irish Catholics* - whichly admitted is only a tiny sample - those seems to be general the rules.**

*Undefined. Definitely not representative of the 84% Irish population that is supposedly Catholic.
    **Rules that often to appear to be subjective.

From the fake account:

"Three friends of mine have had their marriages pinched within the last year alone. What it will be like if we legalise gay marriage?"

There's only about 80 followers in the difference between the real Quinn twitter account and the joke one.... c'mon guys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Jernal wrote: »
    However, he can engage in contraceptive methods that aren't artificial. So, for example, having sex and using the so-called 'rhyhmn method' is perfectly acceptable. Any method the church deems 'natural' is acceptable - to a point. It's all rather silly and unnecessary complicated, but then what isn't with religion?

This one always puzzled me, the use of maths is allowed, but physics and chemistry are unacceptable?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hey folks,
    Can we maintain our disdain for all things Iona related without falling into defamation territory, please?
    I'll trust you use your judgement where that level is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Dades wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Can we maintain our disdain for all things Iona related without falling into defamation territory, please?
    I'll trust you use your judgement where that level is.

I'm sure David Quinn would tell you that disdain is defamation where the Iona is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I can't believe their swish video didn't persuade the convention of the necessity of Mammy and Daddy and childer marriage.

Advertisement