Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Penn wrote: »
    Some of the questions that Norris asked were ones I've been asking myself lately...

Who are the Iona Institute? Why are they always involved in these debates? Why were they involved in the Constitutional Convention? How did they get in that position?

I asked those questions in my OP on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Bobby42 wrote: »
    It was indeed. Some mumbled interjection. Pathetic.

Basically how dare anyone question the iona institute.

I suppose it's too much to hope that instead of being a moany arsehole interrupting the Seanad, he might ANSWER Norris's questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sarky wrote: »
    I suppose it's too much to hope that instead of being a moany arsehole interrupting the Seanad, he might ANSWER Norris's questions.

Get away with your utopian fantasies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What about Rum Babas?
    Rum, Sodomy and The Lash are all frowned upon.
    Well, maybe not that last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

worst school tour EVER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Sarky wrote: »

No, himself and Quinn are more likely to scream "anti catholic racism" at anyone who has the audacity to question the iona institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Folks,

Criticising (or praising) Iona Institute folk is fine. But try to stay out of defamatory territory.

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    there is a huge amount of scientific evidence that confirms major psychological differences between the sexes. There is a whole field dedicated to it; Evolutionary Psychology.

Evolutionary psychology is one of those fields that is fashionable because it's telling a certain group of people what they want to hear. It's built on highly suspect theoretical foundations, and depends on many largely speculative assumptions. There is no "huge amount" of scientific evidence about anything emerging from it. It's not science; indeed, it's probably complete bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I would hesitate to dismiss the field of evolutionary psychology as 'complete bollocks'. The inappropriate citation of such is another matter entirely...

When did that inquiry by Norris take place?

marriage is under attack apparently, so the fundraising has started:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/04/18/anything-good-in-the-irish-catholic/#comment-535406

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Kinski wrote: »
    Evolutionary psychology is one of those fields that is fashionable because it's telling a certain group of people what they want to hear. It's built on highly suspect theoretical foundations, and depends on many largely speculative assumptions. There is no "huge amount" of scientific evidence about anything emerging from it. It's not science; indeed, it's probably complete bollocks.
    Evolutionary psychology remains a very controversial approach in psychology, maybe because skeptics sometimes have little first-hand knowledge of this field, maybe because
    the research done by evolutionary psychologists is of uneven quality. However, there is little reason to endorse a principled skepticism toward evolutionary psychology: Although clearly fallible, the discovery heuristics and the strategies of confirmation used by evolutionary psychologists are on a firm grounding. Research Paper link

I hope something actually arises from Norris speech rather than just lip service from a very dodgy organisation.

marriage is under attack apparently, so the fundraising has started:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/04/18/anything-good-in-the-irish-catholic/#comment-535406

Sure you're not married at all without the white dress and cascading bouquet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Loved this comment:
    "So think about it, if they let this go through it’s only a short hop step and a jump before the gay mafia take over and ban all hetrosexual activity with madatory bummings/fanny lickings for all and those who try to resist will be sent to the concentration camps, where they’ll have to concentrate on being camp."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I really hope his asking for money means the American funders are displeased with Quinn's failure to stop X legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

He's not happy with Peter Boylan that's for sure: https://twitter.com/DavQuinn/status/324892149621608448

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Stark wrote: »
    He's not happy with Peter Boylan that's for sure: https://twitter.com/DavQuinn/status/324892149621608448

Don't like the message? Just attempt to paint a picture that the messenger wasn't a suitable candidate. very grown up :rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Aparently a former master of a maternity hospital still isn't good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...the twitter is good, the way it highlights the reactionary and shallow nature of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Oh dear...

Based on David Norris' video concerning the Iona Institute, I contacted ChildTrends & got responses from their friendly VP of Strategic Communication. He said they had already sent the following letter to #ccven (published in its entirety with permission):
    7315 Wisconsin Avenue
    Suite 1200W
    Bethesda, MD 20814
    240/223-9200
    240/200-1239 fax
    www.childtrends.org
    www.childtrendsdatabank.org

April 4, 2013
    The Honorable Art O'Leary
    Secretary
    Constitutional Convention
    16 Parnell Square East
    Dublin, Ireland
    Dear Sir:

Child Trends, based in Bethesda, Maryland, is a nonpartisan, nonprofit research center focused on children and youth issues. It has come to our attention that our 2002 Research Brief, "Marriage from a Child's Perspective: How does Family Structure Affect Children, and What Can We do about It?" has been referenced in testimony submitted for the upcoming Convention on the subject of same-sex marriage.

We would like to submit to the Convention proceedings the following note about this research:

This Child Trends brief summarizes research conducted prior to 2002, when neither same-sex parents nor adopted parents were identified in large national surveys. Therefore, no conclusions can be drawn from this research about the well-being of children raised by same-sex partners or adoptive parents.

Please note that the paragraph above precedes the brief on our website.

Child Trends has a 30-year history of providing credible research to the U.S. government, state governments, foundations and nonprofit organizations. We are guided only by the findings of our research, and not aligned on either end of the political spectrum. We trust any review of our 2002 report on Family Structure and Children will take into account the scope of the research and not be misconstrued to advance one side or another of the same-sex marriage issue.

Sincerely,
    Carol Emig
    President
    Child Trends

Kristin A. Moore, Ph.D.
    Senior Scholar
    Child Trends

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,643 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

lazygal wrote: »
    Sure you're not married at all without the white dress and cascading bouquet.

Like this?
    283687903_man_in_wedding_dress1_xlarge.jpeg

Galvasean wrote: »
    Loved this comment:
    "So think about it, if they let this go through it’s only a short hop step and a jump before the gay mafia take over and ban all hetrosexual activity with madatory bummings/fanny lickings for all and those who try to resist will be sent to the concentration camps, where they’ll have to concentrate on being camp."

If we exclude bumming and fanny licking from the definition of acceptable marital activities an awful lot of heteros are going to be upset ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    "Evolutionary psychology remains a very controversial approach in psychology, maybe because skeptics sometimes have little first-hand knowledge of this field, maybe because
    the research done by evolutionary psychologists is of uneven quality. However, there is little reason to endorse a principled skepticism toward evolutionary psychology: Although clearly fallible, the discovery heuristics and the strategies of confirmation used by evolutionary psychologists are on a firm grounding."

Yeah, the "firm grounding" that led to one notorious book in which the authors theorised human rape in terms of the anatomy of fruit flies. Why would anyone "endorse a principled skepticism" when faced with the field that gave us that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Kinski wrote: »
    Yeah, the "firm grounding" that led to one notorious book in which the authors theorised human rape in terms of the anatomy of fruit flies. Why would anyone "endorse a principled skepticism" when faced with the field that gave us that one?

Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be making a generalisation about the whole field from one piece of scholarship? The quote I actually posted mentions there is an uneven quality to some of the research. The link to the paper might clear up some of the reservations you have about the framework and underpinnings of the research involved.

EDIT: Just googled your reference. There has been numerous studies completed since. Its important not to conflate "is and ought" also regards the research.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Like this?

If we exclude bumming and fanny licking from the definition of acceptable marital activities an awful lot of heteros are going to be upset ;)

All oral pleasures are on the banned list. Stimulation involving the hands etc is also forbidden. Some stimulation of the breasts is permitted but not to the extent that it leads to orgasm. Climax is to be the result of penetrative sex and nothing else. Thems the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,643 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thanks. I'm noting all this down.
    tumblr_lmlnezML9Y1qz9tv4o1_1280.png

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Nodin wrote: »
    All oral pleasures are on the banned list. Stimulation involving the hands etc is also forbidden. Climax is to be the result of penetrative sex and nothing else. Thems the rules.

But God.......my wife is a paraplegic.

mikom wrote: »

While reading it, it did occur to me 'what if either/both party are incapable of the act'. There was no mention of such exemptions. I'll dig up the links later.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Those celibate feckers have really thought a lot about the whole sex thing.

mikom wrote: »

Some of my best friends* are paraplegic and they don't think marriage should be allowed for them.

*best friends may or may not be made up to suit an unpopular argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

lazygal wrote: »
    Some of my best friends* are paraplegic and they don't think marriage should be allowed for them.

*best friends may or may not be made up to suit an unpopular argument.

Some of my best friends* are apoplectic that marriage is not allowed for them.

*may or may not have friends.

Advertisement