Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Nodin wrote: »
    According to "Rabble", this shower share an address with Iona
    http://www.pureinheartireland.com/

On sunday may the fifth theres a free lecture on how 'sex still has a price tag'
    http://www.pureinheartireland.com/#!news-&-events/vstc4=events-for-your-diary

Due to the wonders of Technology, yez can preview it here

The "fun" starts from about 3.30 on.....

"Sex has a price tag"? She does realise that abstinence is no protection against pregnancy? Just look at Jesus Christ as an example. Her religion proposes a universe in which there is a possibility of a woman conceiving a child without actually having sex. And she wants to give tips to teens? :pac:

EDIT: just realised the irony of Iona complaining that "fathers don't matter" (re same-sex marriage) while being members of a religion that follows a man that had no biological father :D

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Love the way after the crappy guitar music and friendly "hehe I'm not here to choose for you" the tone takes an immediate sinister turn 3 minutes in.

"If you have sex, outside of one, permanent, monogamous... partner, who has only been with you... if you have sex out of that context, you will pay, NO ONE has ever had more than one partner, and not paid".

Inspirational stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pfft, I've had sex outside of that context, and I ended up getting a sweet f*cking replica of ZEE KAPTEIN's Mug. And you know what else I got? Laid. Win-freaking-win.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Sarky wrote: »
    Pfft, I've had sex outside of that context, and I ended up getting a sweet f*cking replica of ZEE KAPTEIN's Mug. And you know what else I got? Laid. Win-freaking-win.

Shouldn't you be working hard on your Sock movie?

Allow me to reiterate:
    Each time you get impatient, I'm asking Gabe Newell to add another 6 months onto the release date for HL3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

BluntGuy wrote: »
    "If you have sex, outside of one, permanent, monogamous... partner, who has only been with you... if you have sex out of that context, you will pay, NO ONE has ever had more than one partner, and not paid".

Inspirational stuff.

Was I supposed to pay after sex?? Or am I going to burn in the fires of hell?

What about the guys in the bible that had multiples wives plus concubines did they have to pay??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

BluntGuy wrote: »
    ... if you have sex out of that context, you will pay, NO ONE has ever had more than one partner, and not paid".

Somebody educate me. What does she mean?

My second wife is far lower maintenance than the first. It's always better second time around.

See, I can do it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Plenty of groups going on about "purity" down through history. There was a big one around 1930-40 in Europe, if I recall, can't quite remember the name, but sadly for them they didn't manage to get recognition as a "real" religion.

As far as I can remember, once they sidelined Herr Rosenberg (who was too looney even for the NSDAP), they were the most christian of movements, in both word and deed.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Nodin wrote: »
    According to "Rabble", this shower share an address with Iona
    http://www.pureinheartireland.com/

On sunday may the fifth theres a free lecture on how 'sex still has a price tag'
    http://www.pureinheartireland.com/#!news-&-events/vstc4=events-for-your-diary

Due to the wonders of Technology, yez can preview it here

The "fun" starts from about 3.30 on.....

Reminds me of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Iona Institute meltdown on pat kenny today, threatened walk out and everything...

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=9:20198046:133:03-05-2013:

• Advertisement

They wouldn't be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Bobby42 wrote: »
    Iona Institute meltdown on pat kenny today, threatened walk out and everything...

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=9:20198046:133:03-05-2013:

Fun times.

I recall Ronan Mullen having similar foot stamping episodes when the civil partnership bill was passed, having a hissy fit about the bill being guillotined and not being allowed to delay the legislation.

Its a hallmark of someone who knows they're on a losing streak and see themselves as the martyr.

Just finished listening to it. That was beautiful. Patricia Casey is a vile woman. Listening to her threaten to leave caused a not-insignificant amount of glee. Herself and David Quinn were torn apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Just finished listening to it. That was beautiful. Patricia Casey is a vile woman. Listening to her threaten to leave caused a not-insignificant amount of glee. Herself and David Quinn were torn apart.

Anyone know if there's a transcription of it anywhere (i have no sound where i am)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

"Veronica keeps interrupting!"

Casey sounds like my four year old niece.

It just shows what happens when these people are called on their bull****.

That survey that Casey ran sounds like a very dodgy enterprise. If you ask the right questions you can get any answer you want. There is no depths that these people will not sink to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

fisgon wrote: »
    That survey that Casey ran sounds like a very dodgy enterprise. If you ask the right questions you can get any answer you want.

"What is your religion?

1. Catholic
    2. ...
    3. ...
    4. ...
    5. ..
    6. no religion
    7. Other
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

"Veronica keeps interrupting!"

Casey sounds like my four year old niece.

It just shows what happens when these people are called on their bull****.

That survey that Casey ran sounds like a very dodgy enterprise. If you ask the right questions you can get any answer you want. There is no depths that these people will not sink to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

The problem for the iona institute now is that they are getting challenged on their positions with facts and evidence and they can't handle the debate.

Its like they feel entitled to have their opinions go unchallenged and just accepted at face value because they have the word "institute" in their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Bobby42 wrote: »
    The problem for the iona institute now is that they are getting challenged on their positions with facts and evidence and they can't handle the debate.

Its like they feel entitled to have their opinions go unchallenged and just accepted at face value because they have the word "institute" in their name.

This was glaringly obvious when Breda O'Brien tried to tell Peter Boylan how obstetric practice works. More of it, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

That survey that Casey ran sounds like a very dodgy enterprise.

The survey was very dodgy, I was glad to hear the issues with it spelled out so clearly. Also, when Pat pressed Casey on why she didn't follow the normal formal procedure for running surveys, she refused to give an answer.

She certainly didn't emerge with much credibility from that interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That survey tactic is common in anti-science sh*t. Tobacco industry wrote the book on this stuff.The irony here is that there's still little evidence such techniques are even effective. The reason being? Well Ireland has one of the highest rates of respect for authority opinions but it's still only around 30%*. Most people will ignore scientists if something goes against their intuition. So surveys are in effect just soapboxing to an already convinced populace.
    *See this post.

But they do serve a purpose. They create an illusion of scientific controversy or scientific debate. For a discussion on abortion emotive stories are probably the most effective. Creating a "scientific debate" just involves the type of people who very likely won't even let you stoop to emotive stories. Considering that abortion is a human rights issue dragging science into it is a very stupid move on Iona's part.
    Do Iona even understand effective propaganda?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Jernal wrote: »
    Well Ireland has one of the highest rates of respect for authority opinions but it's still only around 40%.
    Link??

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Just listening to that Radio debate. Veronica absolutely crushing <3

mohawk wrote: »
    Link??

I was actually about to post here asking for help. Cos I thought I had it bookmarked but it's actually probably stored in a defunct harddrive. Nevertheless. I'll get you it somehow. :p

mohawk wrote: »
    Link??
    Found it!
    Sorry but I had that 40% mark a little backwards it would seem. And it was in relation to private funding too.
    “we can no longer trust scientists to tell the truth about controversial scientific and technological issues because they depend more
    and more on money from industry
    Of Irish people.
    36% Agreed.
    24% Disagreed.

On average across the whole of Europe 56% agreed with the statement. While only 16% disagreed.
    Interestingly the U.K had the highest disagreement in Europe at 26%. But 49% of UK folk agreed with the statement.

Meaning we are the most trusting EU country of scientists. Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

How in the name of sweet jesus did that odious Casey woman attain such a high position in her profession?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    How in the name of sweet jesus did that odious Casey woman attain such a high position in her profession?

Ireland

brainwashed fcukwits seem to have been secreted into positions of power or authority, when their abilities and beliefs should have been taken into account first.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What time does that particular debate start on the show?

Galvasean wrote: »
    What time does that particular debate start on the show?

Oh right, it's at the very start. I look so clever right now...

• Advertisement

Why does Casey say "aboartion" all the time?

Advertisement