Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Maybe she got horribly mixed up and what she really cares about is all the poor baby piggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I like the point Kenny made to Casey at the very end, ie: that regardless of circumstances she wouldn't authorise an abortion in any case.

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

From what I'm seeing on twitter, Prof David Ferguson has discredited Iona Institute’s use of his research on Morning Ireland today.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

koth wrote: »
    From what I'm seeing on twitter, Prof David Ferguson has discredited Iona Institute’s use of his research on Morning Ireland today.

Casey is on now.
    Apparently Fergusson didn't say what we all heard him say and Iona are perfectly correct in their interpretation of his work.

:rolleyes:

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Casey is on now.
    Apparently Fergusson didn't say what we all heard him say and Iona are perfectly correct in their interpretation of his work.

:rolleyes:
    :D

Couldn't ask for a better (read: self-defeating) response, "actually, we know better than the author of the research!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

koth wrote: »

Heard it on the radio earlier, he said (more or less) that the research doesn't really support any conclusions, and that it is misleading to use his research the way it has been used by Iona. When pressed on what advice he would offer the government, he said (for full disclosure) that he is a pro-choice atheist and believes that abortion should be an issue between a woman and her doctor, and that the state should not be involved.

Major own goal by Iona, trying to twist honest research to suit their agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Oh wow. Did she really just try and tell us that she has been quoting this study as evidence of abortion not being beneficial to women with suicidal feelings .....because there is no research or evidence of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I for one welcome Iona being exposed like this. I'm looking forward to seeing what spin they put on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Can't wait to see the Iona backlash against RTE. Bias folks, bias.

I was in the process of posting a (imho well-written) rant about this when my broadband went down. Still down when I had to leave for a meeting. Back up now but the meeting sapped my will to live rant so I will just say - the more I hear consultant psychiatrists on the radio spinning and dodging and weaving for all their worth the more grateful I become that me and mine have never been placed in their lack of tender mercies.

The thought that such people as I have heard who seem so incapable of understanding the difference between truth and falsehood being in charge of assessing a vulnerable person's mental health - and with the power to declare that that person needs to be incarcerated for their own good - fills me with horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

the meeting sapped my will to live rant so I will just say -

Exam time blues.:D
    Can we hear some of the excuses? Pretty pleaseeee.
    Dibs on multiple deaths of grandparent. :D

Jernal wrote: »
    Dibs on it multiple deaths of grandparent. :D

Fecking zombie relatives!! :eek::mad::p

Jernal wrote: »
    Dibs on multiple deaths of grandparent. :D

They will have to work hard to beat the guy who lost a grandparent a month for 6 months three years ago or the guy two years ago who lost a close friend/family member (he called them both in his emails) in 5 car crashes over a 3 month period or the girl who didn't turn up for her exams as she was sick for 10 days and had a doctor's cert from the previous Oct to prove it...

My favourite was a guy from Bermuda - tanned, twinkly eyes, gold earring - he really had his 'pirate' bad boy look down - who turned up in my office and invited me to dinner with benefits if I gave him a first - talk about barking up the wrong tree. Colleagues were gathering outside my office door to try and find out why I was laughing so much :D

Grandparents do seem very vulnerable around May - we do actually check the Death Notices...well, I do. I'm like that me (a cúnt)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

They will have to work hard to beat the guy who lost a grandparent a month for 6 months three years ago or the guy two years ago who lost a close friend/family member (he called them both in his emails) in 5 car crashes over a 3 month period or the girl who didn't turn up for her exams as she was sick for 10 days and had a doctor's cert from the previous Oct to prove it...

My favourite was a guy from Bermuda - tanned, twinkly eyes, gold earring - he really had his 'pirate' bad boy look down - who turned up in my office and invited me to dinner with benefits if I gave him a first - talk about barking up the wrong tree. Colleagues were gathering outside my office door to try and find out why I was laughing so much :D

Grandparents do seem very vulnerable around May - we do actually check the Death Notices...well, I do. I'm like that me (a cúnt)

Reminds me of a girl I knew in college. She didn't turn up for her placement and sent an email to say her father was in ICU after having a heart attack. The lecturer running the course rang the family home to offer his support and guess who answered the phone...
    her father :eek:
    The evil part of me wasn't sorry to hear she got kicked out of the course ;)

Dr. Ferguson: "This research is unreliable and not useful."
    IONA: "I think we should let the research speak for itself."

DUMDUDUDUMDUMDUDUUUUUUMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thought that such people as I have heard who seem so incapable of understanding the difference between truth and falsehood being in charge of assessing a vulnerable person's mental health - and with the power to declare that that person needs to be incarcerated for their own good - fills me with horror.

Oh they are fully capable. They just refuse to.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Oh they are fully capable. They just refuse to.

'You're mad'
    'No. I'm not'
    'yes. You are'
    'I'm really not. I just don't believe there is a God'
    'That's mad that is.'
    'No, it's not. Lots of people don't believe there is a God'
    'They are mad too. Look at this report - it proves there is a God.'
    'That's not a report, that's the Bible.'
    'I'm afraid I am going to have to section you - you obviously have mental health issues and this is for your own God...I mean good...'

Will Quinny kick her out of the club for being so bad at lying?

Sarky wrote: »
    Will Quinny kick her out of the club for being so bad at lying?

What, and knock off 20% of their membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Latest from iona institute...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Geez... Iona Institute can't even do confirmation bias correctly.

Apparently if you ring their office David himself answers the phone...
    http://www.krank.ie/category/opinions/backed-into-a-corner-iona-quinn-the-river-of-bile/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Anyone feel like prank calling him, pretending to be a stereotypically camp gay man?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Or a woman who's wondering if David will pay for her precious unborn baby after birth to adulthood to support the 'culture of life'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

IONA Institute

Imbeciles On Nutty Assignments

The Iona Institute, an Irish conservative ‘think tank’, as in they don't think and then their idea's tank.
    http://www.krank.ie/category/opinions/backed-into-a-corner-iona-quinn-the-river-of-bile/

David Quinn is a “<not a very nice chap>” Pat O’Mahony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Anyone feel like prank calling him, pretending to be a stereotypically camp gay man?

Stereotypically camp gay man looking to adopt a child that David has saved from being aborted even.....I'd listen to that prank-call. Make sure you record it, who ever draws the short straw and actually has to speak to the man.

David Quinn is a “<not a very nice chap>” Pat O’Mahony

Thats a direct quote Jernal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I might disagree with the "c**t" bit, but poisonous? Yes, Quinn seems like he wants to be Ireland's Richard Littlejohn.

Thats a direct quote Jernal from the link above, how can you allow the link but not the quote

"In fact one doesn’t have to look far: Pat O’Mahony famously called David Quinn a “poisonous ****” only to retract his message and apologise. "

• Advertisement

Probably worried about David Quinn suing like he did with that student newspaper. It doesn't matter if it's a quote, he's a thin-skinned fellow and even if he doesn't have a case, I imagine it's not worth the trouble of getting harassed by his lawyer(s).

Nothing stopping you from mocking him on Twitter. >_>

Advertisement