Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/article/atheists-act-faith

The Mighty Quinn is giving talks on atheism. When can I give a talk on Catholicism to students?

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

lazygal wrote: »

The Mighty Quinn is giving talks on atheism. When can I give a talk on Catholicism to students?

‘God of Gaps’ and the Big Bang (a response to the article above)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I wonder what the schools were and what kind of ethos they have?

If we could find out, we could offer to give another talk from an atheist perspective.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

lazygal wrote: »

Bla, bla, bla, therefore Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i think athiests and catholics have no business talking in schools. kids should be thinking for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

i think athiests and catholics have no business talking in schools. kids should be thinking for themselves.

Well, we're already halfway there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Banbh wrote: »
    I wonder what the schools were and what kind of ethos they have?

It doesn't really matter what the ethos of the school was. Going by his articles, David Quinn is not someone I'd trust to treat the subject of atheism in an honest way. Mind you, if he had given a talk on Catholicism, the church would be well advised to send a damage control team to the school as well. Not someone I'd want on my side.

Being a teenager studying for the Leaving Cert is difficult enough. A lecture from David Quinn is just cruel!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Being a teenager studying for the Leaving Cert is difficult enough. A lecture from David Quinn is just cruel!

One wonders where it fits in on the curriculum? Seems more like transition year fluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

It may have been in the religious studies class which is claimed to be an objective look at different religions and none. Of course we know that it is Catholic religious formation but there may be an opportunity to offer speakers from AI, HAI or even A+A.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Jesus, he was up very late worrying about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

Spite and bile is a powerful substitute for caffeine, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

12.23PM is late? More like lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

mambo wrote: »
    12.23PM is late? More like lunchtime.
    I misread it as 03.23am for some reason.

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

"there's a gathering of people? There better be a priest present!!!" :rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Not the first time he's given a talk at schools; he previously wrote about talking to a girls' school about abortion:

http://www.ionainstitute.ie/index.php?id=2796

This morning on Twitter he's been talking up Family and Life. Turns out they are against the MMR vaccine:

http://www.familyandlife.org/resources/faq/vaccinating-your-child%E2%80%94what-you-need-know

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I heard from Sarky on Twitter that he supports the anti-vaccers because there's quite a few fellow homophobes within their ranks.

How fucking spiteful can you get? It's like he dedicates his life to inflicting misery upon the non-ultramontane Untermensch!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Looking at the comments, I can't help but feel he's doing more harm than good to his cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

robindch wrote: »
    Looking at the comments, I can't help but feel he's doing more harm than good to his cause.

The Lord works in mysterious ways indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

That would be due to 'context'.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

That's what it shows as for me too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Mr_A wrote: »

Me three!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Mr_A wrote: »

If not logged into to Twitter, it seems to display Pacific time (3.23am).

If logged in, it displays in the timezone set for your account. My account was set to CET, should have been Dublin time, so it's actually 11.23am Dublin time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Was convinced that was a fake twitter account, you'd think he'd have heard of the reformation and Henry VIII and stuff.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Quinn's latest article in the Irish Catholic (not to be confused with Irish Cataholics, the magazine for Irish cat fanatics) is about the Mozilla CEO being forced to resign due to his opposition to same sex marriage.

Basically, Quinn thinks it's horrible that people can be fired because of their beliefs, while campaigning to make it easier to fire teachers in Ireland for their sexuality, all the while saying how the situation isn't comparable to racial discrimination.

As good a job as King of Iona is doing on Twitter, Quinn has become a parody of himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

He also refers to firefox as one of the world's largest search engine. He referred to it as a sacking even though it was a resignation. In effect, Quinn Firefox'd for the answers resulting in another poorly written article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Fintan O'Toolbox gives Quinn's article a fisking here:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s1bvkb

P.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There is something a bit odd the way certain religious people expect politicians to behave. Brad Pitt's mother kicked off because Obama didn't go a national prayer breakfast a few years ago. They whine when politicians don't do what they want, but surely, if they comply they are simply looking for votes. So, what is it these megaphone Christians want, exactly (aside from state favouritism to their agenda)?

What Quinn tweeted can be translated as a standard whine 'state against religion (read: my type), media following secularism, anti-Catholic', yada, yada.

It's merely all box ticking and confirmation bias for him. Throw out a tweet to confirm what he's only happy to hear. Poor me syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

oceanclub wrote: »
    Fintan O'Toolbox gives Quinn's article a fisking here:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s1bvkb

P.

Good summation that, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Erm I found Dawkins debating Quinn.... He makes great efforts to sound like an intellectual and attempts to education Dawkins on evolution. :rolleyes: He then rambles on about an objective morality and gets very protective of free will. Saying god did it is the only explanation we need for matter..Still listening.
    http://catholiceducation.org/articles/science/quinndawkins2.MP3

Advertisement