Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

RTE has a conservative, pro-religion bias. Who does he think he's fooling?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

In other words, when conservatives like me are on radio or television we are simply obstacles to the public coming around to the 'correct' point of view more quickly. Perhaps this explains why for the last few years I'm only on RTE every six to eight weeks.

What an entitled little ****. What possible right has the Iona 'Institute' to be invited onto the national broadcaster at all - never mind on such a regular basis? Nobody elected them. Who do they represent? Why can't I be on RTE? Surely I'm just as entitled?

They, at the very least, represent the extremist religious views of those paymasters they refuse to identify, why are RTE not investigating them rather than letting them spout their rubbish on such a frequent basis?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sounds like he's Xeroxed Watersesque style of whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭28064212

lazygal wrote: »
    RTE only lets poor Dav on every 6-8 weeks.
    Lol, just followed the email notification without checking the thread title, and was wondering when the hell Dav had been on RTE

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

lazygal wrote: »

Good lad David! And sure it's been forever since RTE gave airtime to people who want the blacks out too! They shouldn't try and push their liberal agenda of equality by silencing bigots. Bigots deserve a voice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

A representative of the A+A forum (a mod or regular contributor) could usefully offer hisserself as a person representative of the A+A view to RTE. I imagine there are broad-minded producers who would welcome such a viewpoint and, to be blunt, Atheist Ireland appears to be a one-man outfit. He does an excellent job but other voices are also needed.

Sometimes people complain about lack of airtime when all they have to do is ask. You can bet that the Iona Institute is constantly bombarding the press with statements, comments and offers of speakers.

Of course, RTE is dominated by Catholic societies - their leading commentator was the Opus Dei man in college (UCG) - but there are others who are not under the clerical thumb.

Better to light a candle than sit in the dark thinking about lighting a candle - with apologies to Buddha or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Can we nominate Banna? I'd love to see Quinn get a heart attack when he sees a lesbian who's an atheist!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Lads clearly you're not thinking this through. There is one obvious option to nominate:

oldrnwisr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Turtwig wrote: »
    Lads clearly you're not thinking this through. There is one obvious option to nominate:

oldrnwisr.

Nah, that's overkill. We don't want their heads a-sploding, we just want them to realise the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Are there levels of Modship? One or all of the senior Modpersons should step up. It would be interesting to see if the RTE fish would bite. I suspect that Newstalk would be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I look forward to finding out how much RTE will payout to Quinn after he loses this debate.

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Nah, that's overkill. We don't want their heads a-sploding, we just want them to realise the truth.
    Feck that. I'd pay money for oldrnwsr to go "scorched earth" on Quinn!!! :p

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Banbh wrote: »
    A representative of the A+A forum (a mod or regular contributor) could usefully offer hisserself as a person representative of the A+A view to RTE.
    Probably better have a few people - I can only speak for myself here but with child, work, house and boat (!) -related commitments, not to mention anything related to A+A, I'm down to minutes of free time a week and showing up on telly to batter Quinn's opinions into shape would take some serious time and preparation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

oldrnwisr.

But....at the end of the day, whether they fully realise it or not, their world view is essentially misogynistic and patriarchal. Thus the ideal candidate to give them a hard time would be a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I go off into no internet hinterland for a few days and :eek:..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I go off into no internet hinterland for a few days and :eek:..

50000394.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

First time I've checked the letters section on independent.ie, spotted this.
    In the comments section on Friday, May 16, David Quinn bemoaned the rise of secularism in RTE over the past few decades.

To highlight this appalling trend, Quinn borrowed a quote from Helena Sheehan, who claims that some RTE staff "put up a formidable fight to secularise and liberalise programme output". Quite a statement, according to Mr Quinn.

I wonder if anyone has pointed out to him that secularism is, by its very definition, the lack of religious bias. Mr Quinn is perfectly within his rights to complain about the collapse of the overwhelming conservative bias in Irish public life, but he should at least have the decency to be upfront about it.

COLM O'MAHONY

GREYSTONES, CO WICKLOW

Quinn on the homes. Note the focus on the Bethany home, the solitary reference to "the Church", and the conflation of the high infant mortality rate with the even higher rate in the various homes.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/at-some-point-christianity-here-became-more-about-punishment-than-forgiveness-30333644.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Nodin wrote: »
    Quinn on the homes. Note the focus on the Bethany home, the solitary reference to "the Church", and the conflation of the high infant mortality rate with the even higher rate in the various homes.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/at-some-point-christianity-here-became-more-about-punishment-than-forgiveness-30333644.html

Jesus Christ!

For those who don't wish to provide page hits:
    But what about the abuses in the past in England and America?
    Why don't we exist in their delusion of their 1950s self being a beautiful place?
    What about poverty in Africa? Horrible deaths occur there two. Charities can't prevent that.
    What about the protestants in Ireland? They had their own atrocities too.

One might be forgiven for pondering what the fck the point of the article was in the first place? It seems to read. Ok, Catholic institutions have done wrong but so too have all these things.

• Advertisement

To be completely and absolutely fair to Mr Quinn. He has encouraged a full investigation.

(on Newstalk / Pat Kenny yesterday)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Don't want to click on trash, but I thought at first this was Ruairi Quinn :eek: it is DQ right?

Criminal investigation, or pseudo-investigation tribunal type waste of time and money that queers the pitch for any possibility of criminal convictions later? by which time any surviving perpetrators will be dead or in the Vatican anyway

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Jesus Christ!

Why don't we exist in their delusion of their 1950s self being a beautiful place?
    What about poverty in Africa? Horrible deaths occur there two. Charities can't prevent that.

One might be forgiven for pondering what the fck the point of the article was in the first place? It seems to read. Ok, Catholic institutions have done wrong but so too have all these things.

Standard operating procedure for mr.Quinn when this sort of story breaks.

"you're complaining about failure of religious orders? Look!!! people die in state care too!!"

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Jesus Christ!

But that IS the point of the article, surely. He doesn't seem to realise that can eventually lead to 'So what's the point of having the Church run schools etc if they can offer no better than the rest, and are often a damn site worse?'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jesus Christ!

i'm just gonna focus on the 800 dead babies in a tank that was used for human excrement for now if you don't mind...let the other countries worry about their own crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If David Quinn was a doctor and you went in to see him because of a pain in your back, he'd say "Well what about that chest pain you had three years ago? That was just as bad, if not worse!" and then he'd ask you to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Penn wrote: »
    If David Quinn was a doctor and you went in to see him because of a pain in your back, he'd say "Well what about that chest pain you had three years ago? That was just as bad, if not worse!" and then he'd ask you to leave.

If he was a doctor he'd probably tell you to offer it up and suffer like our Lord for your sins.

Just leave this here
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Nodin wrote: »
    FYP for people who don't get to it before Broadsheet updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Jesus Christ!

Also, up to 800 children may have died. Sure we don't know if they were just pretending to be dead or not

Advertisement