Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

lazygal wrote: »
    An example of the Lord working in mysterious ways?

Mysterious that the LORD yet again fails to provide...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Mysterious that the LORD yet again fails to provide...

Mysterious indeed that the Lord doesn't simply stop gay marriage, abortion and whatever else David's"institute" is agin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

IIRC I heard that paying someone very little (i.e. <~€0.50) via Paypal or a bank transfer actually results in a net loss for the receiver. It would make sense given that I've seen notices in shops, restaurants and pubs saying the minimum payment is €5 or €10.

... Just saying like... Not suggesting a Nationwide campaign or anything...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I don't think this make iona look good at all. Bad time of year to be raising funds to discriminate against people.

Loads of charities raising funds at the moment. Charities like Focus Ireland and Dublin Simon looking to raise money to help the homeless.

One comment I saw summed it up perfectly - Homeless people literally dying on the street and this group are raising money to fight against marriage equality.

Whats their slogan, your ten euro donation will ensure a gay couple will stay unmarried.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Bobby42 wrote: »
    I don't think this make iona look good at all. Bad time of year to be raising funds to discriminate against people.

Loads of charities raising funds at the moment. Charities like Focus Ireland and Dublin Simon looking to raise money to help the homeless.

One comment I saw summed it up perfectly - Homeless people literally dying on the street and this group are raising money to fight against marriage equality.

Whats their slogan, your ten euro donation will ensure a gay couple will stay unmarried.

I'd say it would be some PR-friendly waffle about "ensuring respect (read: deference) for this country's Christian heritage".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Nice parody from Tara Flynn here...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I'd say it would be some PR-friendly waffle about "ensuring respect (read: deference) for this country's Christian heritage".

Our non-Christian heritage is a lot longer and more colourful than our christian heritage I'd imagine

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

oscarBravo wrote: »

Basically, without god you cannot have morality or free will. Absolutely no justification for this claim, it is simply stated as fact. It's the same old nonsense from Quinny, trying to pick holes in Fry's position, where there are absolutely no holes.

Meanwhile, he mentions the Problem of Evil, which Fry alludes to in his interview, and in fairness Quinn lays it out pretty clearly. What he doesn't do, of course, is offer any explanation as to a solution for the problem of evil for believers. Because there is none.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I see people are starting to refer to Iona as Lolek Ltd, their company name. Can we make this a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

5uspect wrote: »
    I see people are starting to refer to Iona as Lolek Ltd, their company name. Can we make this a thing?

I much prefer the idea of making €0.01 donations via PayPal.

MrP

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

MrPudding wrote: »
    I much prefer the idea of making €0.01 donations via PayPal.

MrP

Why not both? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

5uspect wrote: »

I still prefer the iOnanists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

David "I'm not a homophobe" Quinn mistakes sophistry for actual cleverness.
    And I submit that you are mistaking error for policy.

I see he's copying fellow Definitely-Not-A-Homophobe-Or-Else-I'll-Sue-Your-Quare-Arse John Waters in that aspect.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lolek Ltd are really branching out! :D

iona1.jpg

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/02/09/swerve-2/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lolek Limited to Iona's wikipedia page...doubt it'll last long

Its only right people can easily obtain all info about them after all :)

338446.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

^^^Is that liberal bias at work there?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i like the "institute" is not a protected term in Ireland , reminds me of Dara O'Brien's Dentist (protected term) versus toothioligist

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    i like the "institute" is not a protected term in Ireland , reminds me of Dara O'Brien's Dentist (protected term) versus toothioligist

IIRC, isn't the same true of "nutritionist"?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

IIRC, isn't the same true of "nutritionist"?

Yup. Dietician is the protected term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Stark wrote: »
    Yup. Dietician is the protected term.

* prickles *

dietitian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

With the recent discussion in thread, I petition for the mods to change the thread name to:

Lolek Ltd.: The artists formerly known as Iona Institute.

Edit: with apologies to Prince of course.

With the recent discussion in thread, I petition for the mods to change the thread name to:

Lolek Ltd.: The scam artists formerly known as Iona Institute.

Fixed. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does anyone know how many members make up the II - would it be in double figures?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

spurious wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many members make up the II - would it be in double figures?
    I always had them down as about the same size as a bad-tempered dinner party.

So if lolek Ltd is their registered name, what's stopping somebody registering Iona Institute as a limited company name? :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    So if lolek Ltd is their registered name, what's stopping somebody registering Iona Institute as a limited company name? :)

That sounds like a great idea for a strip club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

That sounds like a great idea for a strip club.

A gay strip club perhaps?

Advertisement