Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It was a very proud moment for me when I asked my dad how he was going to vote and he launched into a rant about the rubbish he was hearing from the No side on the radio etc.

As someone who wouldn't have thought about issues like that ever really, he immediately saw through the bull**** about children to see that the real issue was pure and simple animus from the Christofascists, as I would like to think did most ordinary decent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

This post has been deleted.

Yes, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

keane2097 wrote: »
    the Christofascists,

Haven't heard that one before.

On one hand it seemed apt, and then I thought about it. Think we have to be careful throwing around the "fascist" tag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'The gays' didn't bring out the worst of this lot - wait til you see what they will come out with in any Eighth Amendment repeal campaign.

• Advertisement

fisgon wrote: »

On one hand it seemed apt, and then I thought about it. Think we have to be careful throwing around the "fascist" tag.

Oh don't worry, if you're not convinced yet you will be the next time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It was a very proud moment for me when I asked my dad how he was going to vote and he launched into a rant about the rubbish he was hearing from the No side on the radio etc.

My dad who is in his 80's never commented on Lolek Ltd to me,

But he did tell me about how the local priests started on a big anti marriage equality speech during a remembrance mass for the death of one of our relations. He was disgusted by how the priest went on and felt it was not the time or place.

The same priest also went on a rant during the local communion mass, he pissed off alot of people and again people thought it was totally inappropriate to go on such a rant during the childrens day.

Sometimes you don't even have to be critical of the no side, they just ruined it for themselves with so little effort :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anyway, just reading an extract from the How the Yes was won, book, charting how the Yes movement won the referendum.

Is this the book by any chance?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ireland-says-Yes-Marriage-Equality/dp/1785370375

Cabaal wrote: »

That's it, yes, though I read an extract in the Irish Times, haven't got the book itself.

It was in last week's IT, just read it this morning, I'm a week behind with everything....

Equating gay people with embryos and foetuses. Scary stuff.

"Fag, queer, blob of cells...."

That's exactly what an embryo is, a blob of cells! They are trying to make out that this is a pejorative term.

I have no illusions about the scurrilous nature of these guys. I just think that "fascist" is a loaded term that needs to be handled with care.

• Advertisement

Actually, just occurred to me what is most contemptible about his video. They are trying to make some kind of connection between the Yes vote in the Marriage referendum, and keeping the Eighth Amendment. As if it was the same thing.

As if the vast majority of the No campaigners are not also going to be anti-abortion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A 'milestone for equality' that gave an adult Irish woman an equal, not greater, equal, despite her age or accomplishments, an equal right to life as a clump of cells that more likely than not was going to be expelled in the next period.
    It was an utterly disgusting day for Ireland.

But sure that sort of thing is brilliant. It's the same as the No to equality crowd.

ANYONE who sees that video who doesn't have a strong position is going to recoil at the callous stupidity of it. More.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

spurious wrote: »
    'The gays' didn't bring out the worst of this lot - wait til you see what they will come out with in any Eighth Amendment repeal campaign.

Dreading the flashbacks to the early 80s already.

If I see big hair and shoulderpads I could snap. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Bit of a tautology if you think about it a bit more. Just about every fascist dictator has being a Catholic of one persuasion or another.

in the nub of it, are not all of us a clump of cells?

in the nub of it, are not all of us a clump of cells?

yep, that and star stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Dreading the flashbacks to the early 80s already.

If I see big hair and shoulderpads I could snap. :eek:

I think we can count on Lucinda for some extra special throw-backs, although she veers wildly between the 80's and the 50's most uptight, buttoned up "fashions". Think hunched up and bunched up, with a clerical vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

As someone who wouldn't have thought about issues like that ever really, he immediately saw through the bull**** about children to see that the real issue was pure and simple animus from the Christofascists, as I would like to think did most ordinary decent people.

Similar from my dad. He was really upset and angry at the insinuation that he was someone raised in an inferior family because his father died when he was young and his right to a mother and father wasn't vindicated or whatever nonsense was spouted. My mum said Breda was the most judgmental person she'd heard.

Shrap wrote: »
    I think we can count on Lucinda for some extra special throw-backs, although she veers wildly between the 80's and the 50's most uptight, buttoned up "fashions". Think hunched up and bunched up, with a clerical vibe.

Any bets we will see a jacket with shoulder pads you could use as landing strip and the sleeves rolled up exactly three turns. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Any bets we will see a jacket with shoulder pads you could use as landing strip and the sleeves rolled up exactly three turns. :p

Plus
    http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2014-06/12/14/enhanced/webdr04/enhanced-5202-1402596816-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

lazygal wrote:
    Similar from my dad. He was really upset and angry at the insinuation that he was someone raised in an inferior family because his father died when he was young and his right to a mother and father wasn't vindicated or whatever nonsense was spouted. My mum said Breda was the most judgmental person she'd heard.
    I think you're all misremembering.

It was the malicious and arrogant Yestapo who were branding everyone homophobes, thereby radicalising them. Convincing people who had previously 100% intended to vote yes, and were in no way internet sock puppets, to actually vote no.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It was the malicious and arrogant Yestapo who were branding everyone homophobes, thereby radicalising them. Convincing people who had previously 100% intended to vote yes, and were in no way internet sock puppets, to actually vote no.
    Yestapo??? The only problem i encountered with the yes side in the entire campaign was that some of them were a small pain in the hole....the no side were predominately evil for the most part.

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Good to know that more people than just those who voted Yes support marriage equality (even if they have a silly reason for voting No).

If you can read this, you're too close!

Ignorant hyperbole much?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Ignorant hyperbole much?

Either your irony meter is broken, PP, or mine is set far too low! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

It was a very polarising campaign from the Yes side. I didn't have a dog in the fight but seeing the disparity in resources between Yes and No sides sort of drew me towards the plucky underdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

It took a serious brass neck for the No side to complain about negative campaigning in the lead-up to the referendum. I've never seen a more shamelessly cynical, underhanded, mean-spirited campaign in Irish politics: just lie after obfuscation after misdirection after insult.

• Advertisement

It was a very polarising campaign from the Yes side. I didn't have a dog in the fight but seeing the disparity in resources between Yes and No sides sort of drew me towards the plucky underdog.

OK, I'll bite. Ever heard the name "Tom Monaghan"?

Advertisement