Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It was a very polarising campaign from the Yes side. I didn't have a dog in the fight but seeing the disparity in resources between Yes and No sides sort of drew me towards the plucky underdog.
    So you saw through the shady way Iona is funded and voted yes to equality? Good for you!

It was a very polarising campaign from the Yes side. I didn't have a dog in the fight but seeing the disparity in resources between Yes and No sides sort of drew me towards the plucky underdog.

A real failing of democracy is that this kind of reasoning is afforded the exact same power as the person who read research, spent time considering their own thoughts on the matter, probably discussed it with people and arrived at an answer after some hours of thought and reflection.

It's a failing that we absolutely must bear, but a failing nonetheless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

OK, I'll bite. Ever heard the name "Tom Monaghan"?

The philanthropist? Yes, he's very generous with his fortune. A decent and honourable man by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Oh yes, cos had it not been for the way the yes campaign was run you would have been a definite yes vote. :rolleyes:

Like volchitsa, I am assuming Trent Houseboat's post, the one you thanked, was ironic. Even more ironically, given you thanked it, I believe you were exactly the type of person he was referring to. Hot irony on irony action.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The philanthropist? Yes, he's very generous with his fortune. A decent and honourable man by the sounds of things.

Yes, "decent and honourable" if you're the sort who wants a Catholic state (again). :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

volchitsa wrote:
    Either your irony meter is broken, PP, or mine is set far too low!
    I was worried, when frosty thanked my post, that I hadn't been ridiculous enough.
    I suppose it goes to show the level of nonsense that was thrown around at the time (and still now).
    Poe and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I'm not sure which is worse, thinking people are stupid enough to believe they were voting anything other than no or being stupid enough to think anyone would believe it.

MrPudding wrote: »
    Oh yes, cos had it not been for the way the yes campaign was run you would have been a definite yes vote. :rolleyes:

Like volchitsa, I am assuming Trent Houseboat's post, the one you thanked, was ironic. Even more ironically, given you thanked it, I believe you were exactly the type of person he was referring to. Hot irony on irony action.

MrP

I was pro hot irony on irony action until recently. But because someone who I have no way of verifying actually exists said something personally insulting about someone else, I've changed my mind.

Coincidentally my new belief that hot action should only exist between one irony and one sincerity, is in line with my favourite bronze age novel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't for a second believe frostyjacks voted yes, not sure who you think you are kidding here on this one.

I'd have more respect for you if you stood by your backwards viewpoints and admitted you voted no...not much respect mind you, but more then I have for you now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

with my favourite bronze age novel.

Is that available for Kindle?

I wouldn't take frosty's claims of gaystapo/yestapo seriously normally but making comments like this dont really hrelp.
    We need to call a spade a spade as regards Muslims. No more immigration unless they renounce their religion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I didn't have a dog in the fight but seeing the disparity in resources between Yes and No sides sort of drew me towards the plucky underdog.
    The actual question at hand presumably didn't concern you?

I wouldn't take frosty's claims of gaystapo/yestapo seriously normally but making comments like this dont really help.

[BIGOTED BOLLOCKS ABOUT REFUGEES]

I guess his "cheering for the underdog" doesn't count if they're Muslims fleeing Daesh.

I wouldn't take frosty's claims of gaystapo/yestapo seriously normally but making comments like this dont really hrelp.

You think our soon-to-be neighbours from the Caliphate will be more accepting of homosexuality than Catholic Ireland is? You will be begging David Quinn et al to come in and save the day.

You think our soon-to-be neighbours from the Caliphate will be more accepting of homosexuality than Catholic Ireland is? You will be begging David Quinn et al to come in and save the day.

Ya - Chuck Norris has nothing on David Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Ya - Chuck Norris has nothing on David Quinn.

Although they do both have strangely similar religious views...

I've never seen them is the same room at the same time...

smokingman wrote: »

As does Mel Gibson...

It'll be a blockbuster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I've no idea what sort of sectarian nonsense that is, nor can I envisage any situation that could be alleviated by the activities of David Quinn.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote:
    Is that available for Kindle?

It is, in several translations. Some of which I suspect contradict each other despite claims to be the one true word of someone or other.

The problem is that you're not going to stand on a street corner bashing the iPad. Nor is one wont to swear an oath on their kindle.
    At the risk of sound like a hipster who listens to wax cylinders and trims their beard with a knife made on a high welfare quail bones, if you want real gravitas you need leather binding and gilt edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Why would we go to David Quinn? I mean, if a bunch of immigrants came to Ireland and opposed homosexuality, someone else who opposes homosexuality is the last person we should go to, regardless if he opposes homosexuality less than the immigrants.

It is, in several translations. Some of which I suspect contradict each other despite claims to be the one true word of someone or other.

The problem is that you're not going to stand on a street corner bashing the iPad. Nor is one wont to swear an oath on their kindle.
    At the risk of sound like a hipster who listens to wax cylinders and trims their beard with a knife made on a high welfare quail bones, if you want real gravitas you need leather binding and gilt edges.

Hmmmm... would a vellum scroll not add more gravitas I wonder...

Should we ban everyone who isnt part of the gaystapo from entering the country?

What shall we do with you? Make you renounce your religion? I dont see why David Quinn would help anyone, he would be getting what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I watched this, and I was curious, who could possibly have such an illogical mess of an opinion? So off I popped to the social media for a quick search, content that such people couldn't possibly manage to keep a secret on the internet, and look who I found;

k7YAUvj.jpg

Young Fine Gael, that was kind of always going to be the case, wasn't it?

I guess his "cheering for the underdog" doesn't count if they're Muslims fleeing Daesh.

Someone should probably read the story of the good Samaritan. Would Jesus let people die because they were the "wrong" religion? If Christianity bases a persons right to protection based on their religion they aren't much better than those they wish to keep out.

Someone should probably read the story of the good Samaritan. Would Jesus let people die because they were the "wrong" religion? If Christianity bases a persons right to protection based on their religion they aren't much better than those they wish to keep out.

It looks like frostyjacks has a few like-minded people in high places: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34835353

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It looks like frostyjacks has a few like-minded people in high places: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34835353

Sure its all about following Jebus message of peace, love and loving thy neighbour.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sure its all about following Jebus message of peace, love and loving thy neighbour.

I'm all for helping those in need, but not if it results in the destruction of western Europe and our people. Look at how the Syrians approach the issue of LGBT rights. It's slightly different to what we're used to. Is this what you want to see in future Ireland?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3244736/ISIS-executes-nine-public-homosexual-including-boy-aged-15.html

• Advertisement

I'm all for helping those in need, but not if it results in the destruction of western Europe and our people. Look at how the Syrians approach the issue of LGBT rights. It's slightly different to what we're used to. Is this what you want to see in future Ireland?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3244736/ISIS-executes-nine-public-homosexual-including-boy-aged-15.html

Have we entered the Twilight Zone?

What the Hell have you done with our Frosty?!?!?!

Advertisement