Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What would a bishop know about the day-to-day realities of marriage?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He's married to the Church.

Though of course, the Church never forgets to iron your shirt for your important meeting the next morning even though you asked her like, five times and she was ironing other clothes anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Would be nice if - for example - the LGBTQ community got together and released a paper telling priests and bishops where, when and how they're allowed to do what with their front and back bottoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

lazygal wrote: »
    I'm sure small small donations are welcome too. Even if they end up costing Iona money.
    You just reminded me to make another one. For some reason, though, my credit card is not appearing in Paypal (my preferred method of donating to them). I hope they find a good use for my 1 cent donation. I hope many of you find the christmas spirit and generosity to send them 1 cent. I think lots of all 1 cent donations could have a really positive impact on society.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/non-profit

MrP

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MrPudding wrote: »

I'm reading that right, 20p per donation..plus the %?
    Reading on the Ireland site it appears to be 35c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm reading that right, 20p per donation..plus the %?
    Reading on the Ireland site it appears to be 35c

That's what I read. What does paypal charge the sender though? Would be nice to think a donation would hurt them more than me ;)

And on a side note, don't you think that's a bit crappy of paypal to charge that for a charitable donation?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Don't they have to accept the donation? I would assume no charge if they dont accept it.

It is a bit chitty to take such a cut from a charity donation, although I dont really see how it is a charity in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

It is a bit chitty to take such a cut from a charity donation, although I dont really see how it is a charity in this case.
    In Ireland, the propagation of religion is, by law, a charitable act. Somebody tried and failed to catch the Ionanists out on that a few years back, but all the same, DQ and friends became even more circumspect as a result.

Shrap wrote: »
    That's what I read. What does paypal charge the sender though? Would be nice to think a donation would hurt them more than me ;)

And on a side note, don't you think that's a bit crappy of paypal to charge that for a charitable donation?!
    No charge to me.
    Don't they have to accept the donation? I would assume no charge if they dont accept it.

I think they do have to accept it. Not sure how that process works, but hopefully it is time consuming.

On the subject of taking a cut from charities, I believe the fees are lower for registered charities. Also, visa and MasterCard will still levy a transaction fee and I am sure the banks still charge. Not everyone is charitable to charities.

MrP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

They know what's best for people, always.
    The announcement by Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald that the waiting time for a couple seeking a divorce may be reduced is a further indication the Government does not take seriously its constitutional duty to guard marriage with “special care”, according to the Iona Institute.

~~

“It is true that some people find the wait for a divorce frustrating but if the current constitutional requirement to wait several years before divorcing is slowing down the rate of divorce, then we should retain it.

“When Spain introduced a much quicker divorce regime 10 years ago, the number of divorces there quickly doubled.”

Irish Examiner

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sure they are right! As soon as that made being gay legal the amount of gay people increased by countless numbers. This has proven that their theory for divorce will go the same way :p

“When Spain introduced a much quicker divorce regime 10 years ago, the number of divorces there quickly doubled.”

Well, duh. Of course it did. All the separated couples were able to divorce more quickly, so if we reduced our 4 year wait to 1 year, in the first year after introducing the quicker process we could see up to 3 times more divorces happening, as the next 3 years of impending divorces were able to go at it too. Most likely it would only double for the first two years though, and then fall back to the normal rates. I'm hopeless at maths, but even I can work that out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Shrap wrote: »
    Well, duh. Of course it did. All the separated couples were able to divorce more quickly, so if we reduced our 4 year wait to 1 year, in the first year after introducing the quicker process we could see up to 3 times more divorces happening, as the next 3 years of impending divorces were able to go at it too. Most likely it would only double for the first two years though, and then fall back to the normal rates. I'm hopeless at maths, but even I can work that out :rolleyes:

Since the introduction of "divorcio express" in Spain (as Catholics over there called it), there's no need to be separated before getting the divorce, and the whole thing can be done in an average of 2 months (a couple of weeks if done in some of the faster local courts, or a few months if there's disputes). If the Iona people knew how quick it can be over there, their heads would probably explode. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

If the Iona people knew how quick it can be over there, their heads would probably explode. :p

Anyone got their phone number...

Since the introduction of "divorcio express" in Spain (as Catholics over there called it), there's no need to be separated before getting the divorce, and the whole thing can be done in an average of 2 months (a couple of weeks if done in some of the faster local courts, or a few months if there's disputes). If the Iona people knew how quick it can be over there, their heads would probably explode. :p

Wow, that's speedy! The Irish government would explode too, I'm fairly sure. Considering that no matter what the circumstances of the relationship, a parent can't claim Lone Parent's Allowance for 3 months after separating in case of a "reconciliation". Puts parents trying to escape abusive relationships in an impossible position, so if they can justify that then I'm fairly sure they can continue to justify a 4 year wait for a divorce :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We're stuck with it until there's another referendum. Legislating via the constitution never works out well.

Really we should scrap the whole thing and replace it with a set of basic principles which would fit on 2 sides of an A4 page - in reasonably large print.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Careful now. The two sides of A4 must not be of the same sex.

Not a paperphobe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Quinnstitute in opposing progress shocker :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

"In 2015 the Internet was full of liberal Irish people celebrating the SSM referendum victory. You won't find such celebration of the eighth amendment from conservatives in 1983 on the Internet, oh no.

Because we're so much classier, is why.

That's absolutely the reason.

Don't overthink it.

Shut up."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well no - the internet barely existed in 1983.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Boards.ie was an actual notice board with thumbtacks in 1983. The mods were all nuns carrying a big stick.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

Regardless of one's perspective, it's ridiculous to lambast the Iona Institute's media profile and not to do the same in relation to the likes of Rory O'Neill/Panti Bliss.

looksee wrote: »
    Well no - the internet barely existed in 1983.

Yes. That was the joke.

Regardless of one's perspective, it's ridiculous to lambast the Iona Institute's media profile and not to do the same in relation to the likes of Rory O'Neill/Panti Bliss.

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Nodin wrote: »

It's really funny how he writes his regular column in the country's largest selling newspaper about how the 'liberals' control the meeja.

Advertisement