Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Regardless of one's perspective, it's ridiculous to lambast the Iona Institute's media profile and not to do the same in relation to the likes of Rory O'Neill/Panti Bliss.

Well, Panti is a drag queen who wears her heart and her political philosophy on her sleeve. There's nothing particularly complex or confusing about that. You're free to agree or not agree with her. She doesn't mince words or play with language at all.

Aspects of the religious right however operates like a PR machine and tends to present highly conservative attitudes in a warm and fuzzy way using umpteen brands, posters with stock images of families etc etc etc.

I can deal with a religiously conservative persons or organisations being upfront about their philosophy. I don't like this spin and media infiltration approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

xband wrote: »
    Aspects of the religious right however operates like a PR machine and tends to present highly conservative attitudes in a warm and fuzzy way using umpteen brands, posters with stock images of families etc etc etc.

They also, of course, lie. Lie furiously, lie repeatedly, lie shamelessy.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They also have unfettered access to the media with regular appearances on current affairs broadcasting. Yet we've no idea who funds them and who they really represent.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Nodin wrote: »
    The only responses allowed to the big Yes vote in May have been celebration or, having accepted defeat, silence.
    He doesn't do irony, does he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

5uspect wrote: »
    They also have unfettered access to the media with regular appearances on current affairs broadcasting.

Didn't you read Quinn's article about how the liberals control the media?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Regardless of one's perspective, it's ridiculous to lambast the Iona Institute's media profile and not to do the same in relation to the likes of Rory O'Neill/Panti Bliss.

How so? And when you say "the likes", what others do you refer to?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    He doesn't do irony, does he?

.....nope, or shutting up and fucking off for that matter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

RainyDay wrote: »
    Didn't you read Quinn's article about how the liberals control the media?

If he thinks Irish media is liberal I shudder to think of the level of his conservatism.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

Kev W wrote: »
    How so?

Because there are people who find the sight of "Panti's Queen's Speech" on Christmas Day as offensive and subversive as others find the likes of David Quinn and the Iona Institute.

They are two extremes of the spectrum...what some might describe as the crackpot religious right and a homosexual HIV Positive drag queen.

I believe that we should either embrace free speech and accept both on our airwaves or alternatively eliminate both and make our mainstream media more mainstream.

It is not reasonable though to give out about the David Quinns and Breda O'Briens of this world unless one is equally ready to lambast the Panti Blisses of this world.

Nodin wrote: »
    How so? And when you say "the likes", what others do you refer to?

People who it would be reasonable to describe as "extreme liberals".

Surely you aren't disputing that David Quinn and Rory O'Neill are at two ends of the spectrum?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Because there are people who find the sight of "Panti's Queen's Speech" on Christmas Day as offenisve and subversive as others find the likes of David Quinn and the Iona Institute.

They are two extremes of the spectrum...what some might describe as the crackpot religious right and a homosexual HIV Positive drag queen.

I believe that we should either embrace free speech and accept both on our airwaves or alternatively eliminate both and make our mainstream media more mainstream.

It is not reasonable though to give out about the David Quinns and Breda O'Briens of this world unless one is equally ready to lambast the Panti Blisses of this world.

If the panti blesses of this world are attempting to make the law force people to follow the religion they exist to promote let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Surely you aren't disputing that David Quinn and Rory O'Neill are at two ends of the spectrum?

False equivalence much?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Extreme liberal is an oxymoron.

If you have a problem with Panti Bliss why don't you criticize her? And while you're at it, criticize David Quinn too.

That's what you want liberals to do.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Extreme liberal is an oxymoron.

If you have a problem with Panti Bliss why don't you criticize her? And while you're at it, criticize David Quinn too.

That's what you want liberals to do.

If I had a problem with Panti Bliss, I would criticise him. Equally, I would criticise David Quinn or Breda O'Brien if warranted.

All of the above are extreme elements of our society.

To be honest I thought the Irish Marriage Equality referendum actually played out in a very grown up and civilised way.

Yes, we had some uncomfortable and insensitive comments in debates, but we really saw nothing I would describe as "extreme".

I don't think Panti or the Iona institute are very extreme elements of Irish society, at least compared to our European neighbours' extremes. I don't like or agree with Iona on almost anything but they're more a reflection of an old Ireland that hasn't quite gone a way.

They're just two points of view in what is a very rapidly changing society that's playing extremely rapid catch up in terms of social attitudes and has probably moved towards being a much more humane and liberal society over the last 30 years.

I think that the marriage ref proved is that there probably isn't a deeply conservative silent majority.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

UTV Ireland's recap of 2015 said the No said were gracious in defeat and they showed a clip of Ronan Mullen acknowledging Ireland's positive relationship with gay people. Is this adequate enough for you on the "balance" spectrum?

Yes I would be. One is a bar owner, who happens to be gay and do a fairly old fashioned (from what I've seen of it) drag act. The other is a campaigner and lobbyist funded by persons unknown who is the go to "other voice" on discussions ranging from gay marriage to religion and schooling. Yet his fellow members Breda O'Brien and Patricia O'Casey claim the organisation isn't a "catholic" one.

Because there are people who find the sight of "Panti's Queen's Speech" on
    Christmas Day as offenisve and subversive as others find the likes of David
    Quinn and the Iona Institute

How or why would they do so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Corkfeen wrote: »
    It still astonishes me that David Quinn actually gets published in the mainstream press. And it always tends to be absolute rubbish which he produces. :D
    I'm not at all surprised, the mainstream media is rubbish.

My original point still stands...David Quinn is far more representative of Irish society than Panti Bliss, and both are extreme in their views, so why are people so intolerant towards Quinn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

and both are extreme in their views

Can you please qualify your statement, in what way is Panti Bliss' views "extreme"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

If I had a problem with Panti Bliss, I would criticise him. Equally, I would criticise David Quinn or Breda O'Brien if warranted.

All of the above are extreme elements of our society.
    Panti Bliss - TV3 Christmas broadcast
    Am I alone in thinking that this was in extraordinarily bad taste? A HIV Positive transvestite pushing his liberal agenda before the watershed on Christmas Day, a family day. Vile is word that springs to mind. The media and the homosexual lobby really won't be satisfied until they have destroyed the fabric of our society. If you want to know what this guy O'Neill is really about, listen to his interview on Newstalk around two months ago. In his view, a HIV infected individual has no obligation to tell a prospective sexual partner about his or her condition. Someone like that shouldn't be on tv.

Wow.

I wouldn't be so sure about him being representative. The electorate hovers somewhere left of centre on most issues other than personal tax.

On social issues here attitudes have moved enormously over the last 30 years. If anything, the establishment has been about 5-6 years behind the curve and is being dragged along by the electorate rather than leading any charges.

The right wing commentators / lobbyists represents an Ireland that we left in the 1980s really.

Links234 wrote: »
    Can you please qualify your statement, in what way is Panti Bliss' views "extreme"?

Well in my view someone with HIV should tell a prospective sexual partner about their condition.

He doesn't agree apparently.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Wow.

Wow what?

Do you think that a "Queen of Ireland" broadcast by a HIV Positive transvestite is appropriate for 3pm on Christmas Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My original point still stands...David Quinn is far more representative of Irish society than Panti Bliss, and both are extreme in their views, so why are people so intolerant towards Quinn?

David Quinn and the iOnanists represent a tiny, tiny minority of uber conservative catholics.

Panti Bliss actually represents no one but herself, but is far more representative of Irish society, which is far more liberal and tolerant than the iOnanists would have you believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Other TV channels were/are available.

Not if you're too busy tuning in so you can tut and be outraged.

It's very hard to rant, post online and change channel...

I don't know if you realize this, but HIV isn't transmitted through the TV. Nobody was in any danger. Also, Panti Bliss isn't a transsexual, but I'm not surprised you don't know the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

If David Quinn were more representative of Irish society, the referendum would have resulted in a no vote.

Advertisement