Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Not to mention that any attempt to setup right wing parties here has floundered. Says a lot for the Irish electorate's actual feelings on things.

(As opposed to those looking into their hearts and knowing what the irish people want or those plucking opinion 'polls' out of their ...)

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't know if you realize this, but HIV isn't transmitted through the TV. Nobody was in any danger. Also, Panti Bliss isn't a transsexual, but I'm not surprised you don't know the difference.

It was a typo. I used the term "transvestite" earlier.

The difference between the two is obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Oh, and can you tell me where Panti or Rory said that thing about HIV, 'cos I tried searching, but I can't find anything.

Calina wrote: »
    If David Quinn were more representative of Irish society, the referendum would have resulted in a no vote.

A ludicrous contention.

Despite what some would try and make you believe, the Yes side are not personified by a transvestite. The Yes vote was built on people's compassion for their family members, friends and work colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

A ludicrous contention.

Despite what some would try and make you believe, the Yes side are not personified by a transvestite. The Yes vote was built on people's compassion for their family members, friends and work colleagues.

It wasn't compassion- people saw us as equal, not pitied

• Advertisement

Oh, and can you tell me where Panti or Rory said that thing about HIV, 'cos I tried searching, but I can't find anything.

In an interview with Ivan Yates and Chris Donoghue on Newstalk breakfast during November. I was genuinely appalled at what I heard.

In an interview with Ivan Yates and Chris Donoghue on Newstalk breakfast during November. I was genuinely appalled at what I heard.

Got a quote or link for me to what was actually said?
    Despite what some would try and make you believe, the Yes side are not personified by a transvestite.

You keep saying transvestite as if that's something bad and/or we should be ashamed of being represented by. Why is that? What's wrong with crossdressing?

PS. Eddie Izzard is a hero of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

A ludicrous contention.

Representative of and personifying are not the same thing.

The fact remains more people agreed with Panti Bliss than with David Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Wow what?

Do you think that a "Queen of Ireland" broadcast by a HIV Positive transvestite is appropriate for 3pm on Christmas Day?

I say "wow" because you started off posting as though you were somewhere in the middle, calling for equal representation of all viewpoints. The post I quoted showed you to be about as impartial as a very-right wing pork pie.

I think Panti has done a lot for Ireland this year, is a very intelligent and lucid speaker and much more worth listening to than usual faces the Irish TV stations wheel out every year.

P.S. David Quinn is no fool.
    He knows he represents tiny, dwindling minority in this country.
    He knows that the only chance for the 8th to remain on the books is if the people of this country never get a chance to vote to get rid of it.

Got a quote or link for me to what was actually said?

You keep saying transvestite as if that's something bad and/or we should be ashamed of being represented by. Why is that? What's wrong with crossdressing?

He says something along the lines that "you can argue that it's none of their business" and then titters like a hyena...then there's a pregnant pause where clearly a producer (or Chris Donoghue) is waving frantically at him to row back from his outrageous comment...it's about a sixth of the way in.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Breakfast/Highlights_from_Newstalk_Breakfast/115377/What_you_missed_Dustin_Rory_ONeill_and_teachers_pay

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    I say "wow" because you started off posting as though you were somewhere in the middle, calling for equal representation of all viewpoints. The post I quoted showed you to be about as impartial as a very-right wing pork pie.

I think Panti has done a lot for Ireland this year, is a very intelligent and lucid speaker and much more worth listening to than usual faces the Irish TV stations wheel out every year.

P.S. David Quinn is no fool.
    He knows he represents tiny, dwindling minority in this country.
    He knows that the only chance for the 8th to remain on the books is if the people of this country never get a chance to vote to get rid of it.

I am somewhere in the middle and I believe that both ends of the spectrum should be heard. But I think it's as ludicrous to have have a HIV positive transvestite on tv at 3pm on Christmas Day as it would be to have a David Quinn directed documentary on abortion.

The kernel of my argument is that it is ridiculous to be giving out about the Iona Institute if you're willing to accept people like Panti Bliss in mainstream media. To me, both sides are equally ludicrous and should be marginalised to late night tv.

I am somewhere in the middle and I believe that both ends of the spectrum should be heard. But I think it's as ludicrous to have have a HIV positive transvestite on tv at 3pm on Christmas Day as it would be to have a David Quinn directed documentary on abortion.

The kernel of my argument is that it is ridiculous to be giving out about the Iona Institute if you're willing to accept people like Panti Bliss in mainstream media. To me, both sides are equally ludicrous and should be marginalised to late night tv.
    The media and the homosexual lobby really won't be satisfied until they have destroyed the fabric of our society.

Yeah.. not buying it, sorry.

Yeah.. not buying it, sorry.

So you think "no to Iona" but "yes to Panti" is a reasonable position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

We live in a country with a good degree of media freedom. TV3 is a commercial company and as we are not in China or Iran, their schedule doesn't have to be approved by a senior government administrator to decide what's going to be on on any given night in December.

If you don't like TV3, don't watch it.

So you think "no to Iona" but "yes to Panti" is a reasonable position?

Absolutely.

One is a private individual who expresses their personal views. The other is a shady lobby group with undisclosed sources of funding from abroad which uses said foreign funding to influence the law in this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You say erbs, we say herbs becase there's a ****ing h in it.

You say erbs, we say herbs becase there's a ****ing h in it.
    I like my coffee like I like my women... Covered in bees! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

He says something along the lines that "you can argue that it's none of their business" and then titters like a hyena...then there's a pregnant pause where clearly a producer (or Chris Donoghue) is waving frantically at him to row back from his outrageous comment...it's about a sixth of the way in.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Breakfast/Highlights_from_Newstalk_Breakfast/115377/What_you_missed_Dustin_Rory_ONeill_and_teachers_pay

Did we listen to the same new item??????????

He is completely speaking in the abstract when he says the above and talks about the complexity of telling someone the very first time you meet them. He SPECIFICALLY says "I tell on the 3rd date".

Did you also listen to him mention hiv shaming and stigmatising? You'd do well to listen to the whole interview again.

Absolutely.

One is a private individual who expresses their personal views. The other is a shady lobby group with undisclosed sources of funding from abroad which uses said foreign funding to influence the law in this country.

And why should the former be plonked front and centre of our national airwaves at the expense of the other?

I'm no fan of the Iona Institute, but as I understand it they are proponents of what some might describe as "traditional values".

They have as much right to pontificate about the wrongs of abortion as a transvestite has to waffle on about HIV or marrriage equality.

In truth, neither should grace our terrestrial tv screens at 3pm on Christmas Day. Panti Bliss was about as appropriate as a Church of Alabama funded slideshow of purged foetuses.

But you're either openminded or you're not. It's bonkers to tolerate Panti Bliss but castigate David Quinn.

And why should the former be plonked front and centre of our national airwaves at the expense of the other?

I'm no fan of the Iona Institute, but as I understand it they are proponents of what some might describe as "traditional values".

They have as much right to pontificate about the wrongs of abortion as a transvestite has to waffle on about HIV or marrriage equality.

In truth, neither should grace our terrestrial tv screens at 3pm on Christmas Day. Panti Bliss was about as appropriate as a Church of Alabama funded slideshow of purged foetuses.

But you're either openminded or you're not. It's bonkers to tolerate Panti Bliss but castigate David Quinn.

Panti Bliss talked about embracing change in Ireland and cherishing all our citizens on Christmas Day.

Did you watch it??? What exactly did she say that you didn't agree with?

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    Panti Bliss talked about embracing change in Ireland and cherishing all our citizens on Christmas Day.

Did you watch it??? What exactly did she say that you didn't agree with?

What he said is unimportant. Most reasonable people would have an issue with Dr Frank N Furter singing nursery rhymes at 3pm on Christmas Day.

Not to be a bore but...
    The media and the homosexual lobby really won't be satisfied until they have destroyed the fabric of our society.

Unless you were just messing when you posted the above, you have no business whatosever presenting yourself as a person in favour of balance in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

yawn

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Open minded enough to lie to the Constitutional Convention about research requiring the PI of said research to call them out?

I'll take the honest Drag Queen over Lolek LTD any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's bonkers to tolerate Panti Bliss but castigate David Quinn.

Such bizarre BS. One's tolerable, for some, and the other's intolerable, for some.

Make your own mind up.

Not to be a bore but...

Unless you were just messing when you posted the above, you have no business whatosever presenting yourself as a person in favour of balance in the media.

No! That's the whole point. The same left wingers in the media who push people like Panti Bliss to the fore want to suppress people like David Quinn. Either we should have balance with the likes of the Iona Institute and Panti Bliss given equal billing, or neither should be prominent. But to push the Panti Bliss / homosexual lobby agenda and give out about David Quinn et al just comes across as stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

But to push the Panti Bliss / homosexual lobby agenda and give out about David Quinn et al just comes across as stupid.

It's when you use the words Panti Bliss and homosexual in conjunction with the words lobby and agenda that you lose any credibility in your argument tbh. And I say that as a straight Irish woman who hasn't been coerced into my "progressive notions", thanks very much, I managed to think of them all on my ownio.

I think you'll find the reason there's such an overwhelming number of people in media and all other walks of life who want to smack the head off Quinn and his like, is because of how regressive they are - morally.

No! That's the whole point. The same left wingers in the media who push people like Panti Bliss to the fore want to suppress people like David Quinn. Either we should have balance with the likes of the Iona Institute and Panti Bliss given equal billing, or neither should be prominent. But to push the Panti Bliss / homosexual lobby agenda and give out about David Quinn et al just comes across as stupid.

Today's independent:
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/in-2015-we-voted-against-the-right-of-a-child-to-a-mother-and-a-father-34327836.html

David Quinn et al gets plenty of platform (unfortunately).

I'd take Panti Bliss's talk about change and cherishing all citizens of Ireland any day.

Your barely concealed contempt for Panti and "homosexuals" etc is showing through quite clearly there, you're really not fooling anyone with this pretence to neutrality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Can we start calling quim et all "The Fascist Lobby"?
    ...y'know; for "balance"

Advertisement