Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Actually just took a look at twitter and he seems to be pimping that article of his and any others that take a swipe at Bowie (or he reads as doing so).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Nodin wrote: »
    Actually just took a look at twitter and he seems to be pimping that article of his and any others that take a swipe at Bowie (or he reads as doing so).

Millions of people listen to Bowie, and he will live on after death due to his art. Two things that Quinn desperately wants but will never have, are an audience of millions and an afterlife. He is Jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Millions of people listen to Bowie, and he will live on after death due to his art. Two things that Quinn desperately wants but will never have, are an audience of millions and an afterlife. He is Jealous!

Except Mr Quinn believes he will have Eternal Life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

marienbad wrote: »
    Except Mr Quinn believes he will have Eternal Life :)

Hopefully it will involve red hot pokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Hopefully it will involve red hot pokers.

David Bowie and The Red Hot Pokers

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »
    David Bowie and The Red Hot Pokers

Failing that Alan Rickman and a spoon.

Yes, he has arisen again from the depths to give of his wisdom....

Might want to read this before eating, then have the breakfast when the stomach settles.

"This is groupthink in action. Groupthink takes hold when we listen only to evidence that confirms what we want to believe."

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/groupthink-is-as-strong-in-ireland-as-it-was-before-the-financial-crisis-34406215.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Yes, he has arisen again from the depths to give of his wisdom....

Might want to read this before eating, then have the breakfast when the stomach settles.

"This is groupthink in action. Groupthink takes hold when we listen only to evidence that confirms what we want to believe."

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/groupthink-is-as-strong-in-ireland-as-it-was-before-the-financial-crisis-34406215.html

FFS. Still whinging. First comment up after the article is a good one though:
    Sometimes a lot of people agree with an idea for a good reason: it makes sense and is the right thing to do. Like abolishing slavery, for instance. The same applied to marriage equality, allowing two people who love each other to start a family, and it is hardly surprising that so many people thought it was the right thing to do. Those who opposed it lost nothing and really need to try and get their heads around the idea of democracy. And what has abortion, which he inevitably mentions, to do with swings in the collective economic mood?

The people of Ireland have never enjoyed so much access to media as they enjoy today All kinds of views can be publicised, no matter how much they upset some. But it is really disingenuous of someone with a weekly column in the country's biggest-circulation newspaper to complain that his views and those of his ilk are not being heard and given due consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Can someone give me the gist of it without actually having to give him and the Indo the actual traffic and ad revenue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Can someone give me the gist of it without actually having to give him and the Indo the actual traffic and ad revenue?

During the boom the average Joe was afraid to criticize the direction our economy was heading. If everybody was saying how great things were then anybody who said "hang on a second, will there be a soft landing?" was clearly mad. Groupthink meant that we were all sheep and followed the mantra that the celtic tiger would never end.

He then likens this to the same-sex marriage referendum suggesting that people who voted 'no' were afraid to voice their opinion publicly. He's trying to say that a lot more Irish people would have voted 'no' if they weren't so blinded by groupthink.

He's asking people not to follow an ideology blindly just because everybody else in your community is. I love the irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In typical Quinn fashion, he starts off talking about one thing, in this case how groupthink about the economic recovery could lead to further financial problems by ignoring warning signs made by those outside of the groupthink, then manages to shoehorn how marriage equality and abortion are bad because he's David Quinn and that's all he really wants to talk about while claiming in his weekly column in one of Ireland's biggest newspapers that his dissenting voice isn't being listened to.

He also Quinns himself as he usually does by defeating his own argument by way of describing how bad groupthink is without realising everything he says relates to himself and the religious right just as much as the liberal left.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I was going to point out that Iona is a groupthink but then there's very little think in that group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

This is groupthink in action. Groupthink takes hold when we listen only to evidence that confirms what we want to believe.

He has to be trolling, there is no possible way a person could be less self aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

He has to be trolling, there is no possible way a person could be less self aware.

A lack of self-awareness seems like a prerequisite for joining Iona, sure wasn't Breda yelling herself hoarse about being "silenced" from TV and Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Quinn will be on the Right Wing Hook this evening. Also Norman Tebbit and Mikey Graham. And for balance? Dunno.

I can hardly wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Quinn will be on the Right Wing Hook this evening. Also Norman Tebbit and Mikey Graham. And for balance? Dunno.

I can hardly wait...
    I'll miss it, is there a podcast of the show ?

actually maybe i should skip it, ill end up smashing the radio..

Links234 wrote: »
    A lack of self-awareness seems like a prerequisite for joining Iona, sure wasn't Breda yelling herself hoarse about being "silenced" from TV and Radio.

Silence!!!!You're silencing them!!!!

Breda and co's whinging about being silenced is rather amusing, given the ability of her organisation and one David Quinn to fire out the writs. Not DOB levels, but he's tetchy enough.

On a sort of related note, does anybody know what the law is regards undercover reporting and the like in this country?

Not silenced enough, by half :mad: Just slammed the radio into the wall
    turned off the radio in disgust at hearing a most unholy alliance of George Hook and that "silenced" Quinn yoke both pontificating about the uselessness of secular schools. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Shrap wrote: »
    turned off the radio in disgust at hearing a most unholy alliance of George Hook and that "silenced" Quinn yoke both pontificating about the uselessness of secular schools. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

But we don't have any in Ireland, how can they know they are useless? They seem to work just fine in France as a comparison, certainly less child abuse occurred in them based on media reports,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Shrap wrote: »

Well it wasn't going to be any other way after Hook went on a rant about the sanctity of marriage at the outset of the show. Anyhow, how Quinn is totally oblivious to the contradictions of his mutterings is beyond me and the dog here...

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    But we don't have any in Ireland, how can they know they are useless? They seem to work just fine in France as a comparison, certainly less child abuse occurred in them based on media reports,
    Oh they were only comparing countries that have secular schools but where people are moving in HOARDS to be in the right catchment area for Catholic schools.....
    Well it wasn't going to be any other way after Hook went on a rant about the sanctity of marriage at the outset of the show. Anyhow, how Quinn is totally oblivious to the contradictions of his mutterings is beyond me and the dog here...
    Missed the beginning thankfully. The rest was unlistenable though. I've had enough now - Hook is profoundly irritating at the best of times, but sucking up to our resident "silenced" Catholic unsavory body part mouthpiece is too much. Newstalk will be officially switched off in this house at 4:30.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

On a sort of related note, does anybody know what the law is regards undercover reporting and the like in this country?

It seems to be in the process of being teased out to some extent by the Aras Attracta cases. It will be interesting to see if there are any appeals emerging from those cases, and what the outcome of same will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Links234 wrote: »

My favourite Breda moment was not knowing where Iona funding comes from but decided to give out about the yes campaigners funding.

My favourite Breda moment was not knowing where Iona funding comes from but decided to give out about the yes campaigners funding.

...heartening to know that she is in employment with our paper of record.

Waterford Whisper News???

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

I'm pretty sure that the BAI has fairly strict guidelines about balance on talk shows. But they only apply to people who are complained about as it's a badly designed, complaints driven censorship system.

Right wing religious types were very quick to complain and silence light entertainment and nature / science presenter Derek Mooney for daring to express an opinion on same sex marriage based on his own life, months before the official calling of a referendum (we didn't even have the wording or the bill it was so far out), yet somehow George gets away with being very unbalanced in his moderation and guest selection.

I suppose it's down to us secular types being far more tolerant of opinions that disagree with us that nobody lodges endless BAI complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

While Quinn writes his regular column in the other leading newspaper about how they can't get access to the meeja.

RainyDay wrote: »
    While Quinn writes his regular column in the other leading newspaper about how they can't get access to the meeja.

The paper that employs the nations only living martyr?
    https://www.facebook.com/saintjohnwaters/photos/pb.1377036722529665.-2207520000.1454176945./1377053605861310/?type=3&theatre
    He Who Has Been Hounded For His Confusing & Contradictory Beliefs?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Grannies from Donegal giving the odd tenner was her response, I believe.

https://twitter.com/FintanOToolbox/status/693417038690263040

https://twitter.com/FintanOToolbox/status/693416205911232512

As you can tell from their webpage TV and radio section, they get very little media access. http://www.ionainstitute.ie/index.php?id=52

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Advertisement