Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭100cent

Why wouldn't I be serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

100cent wrote: »
    Why wouldn't I be serious?

Because some of us here can remember the posting style of another ultramontane troll.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] troll.
    Comments and decisions regarding trollery are best left to the forum's friendly moderators :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

See's he's been site banned, so I guess the friendly admin's may have believed he was trolling :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Cabaal wrote: »
    See's he's been site banned, so I guess the friendly admin's may have believed he was trolling :P
    Or a rereg? Facts can be so terribly inconvenient :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Absolam wrote: »

Do you have anything constructive to actually add or are you just posting to make pathetic digs at anything I post these days? Nothing better to do eh?

Trolling was basically the reason why he got himself site banned,
    If he wasn't trolling he wouldn't have popped up on people's radar and they wouldn't have performed a check against his posts to see he was a re-reg.

If he had been civil and acted normally he'd likely still be posting on boards a month from now.

Admin's/Cmods don't just randomly check users for the laugh,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Cabaal wrote: »
    Trolling was basically the reason why he got himself site banned,
    If he wasn't trolling he wouldn't have popped up on people's radar and they wouldn't have performed a check against his posts to see he was a re-reg.
    I thought rereging was basically the reason he got sitebanned? Still... I imagine you comment was intended to be constructive (especially the :p) so I'll leave you to it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I thought rereging was basically the reason he got sitebanned?

I don't think re-regging would be a reason for a siteban in and of itself. There must be an original reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I don't think re-regging would be a reason for a siteban in and of itself. There must be an original reason.

I can think of a certain someone who's named after a Roman author. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I thought rereging was basically the reason he got sitebanned? Still... I imagine you comment was intended to be constructive (especially the :p) so I'll leave you to it.....

I think the re-reging is the reason for the site-ban, but they found out he was a re-reg because of the trolling. Kind of like being stopped for speeding but getting jailed for the two dead bodies in the boot. Yes, that is a fairly specific example, but not one I have personal experience of. I swear.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

MrPudding wrote: »
    I think the re-reging is the reason for the site-ban, but they found out he was a re-reg because of the trolling. Kind of like being stopped for speeding but getting jailed for the two dead bodies in the boot. Yes, that is a fairly specific example, but not one I have personal experience of. I swear.

MrP

The site ban is because of a previous site ban, which is the result of a previous site ban (not a joke).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I can think of a certain someone who's named after a Roman author. ;)
    MrPudding wrote: »

MrP
    Lurkio wrote: »
    The site ban is because of a previous site ban, which is the result of a previous site ban (not a joke).

Soooo.... Iona.... what a bunch of c*nts, eh?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I don't think re-regging would be a reason for a siteban in and of itself.
    To the best of my knowledge, re-registering is fine so long as any previous accounts are either left alone or closed. Simultaneous posting from two or more accounts within the same forum amounts to sock-puppetry, aka astro-turfing and it's likely to result in a site ban for at least one of the accounts. Not so sure about simultaneous posting from two or more open accounts to completely different forums - probably frowned upon, at the very least. If a poster is banned and re-registers and continues to post in the same forum without apparently having learned anything, it's likely that the moderators' fuses will be short indeed - as 100Cent found out.

Finally, and as a matter of courtesy, posters who close one account and open another to post in the same forum should really announce it; same for posters who change their login - just to let people know that it's the same friendly poster from a previous alter-ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Including someone who was getting hassle in real life, outed at work, or whatever because someone joined the dots with what they saw posted on their boards account? Hardly.

Although if someone is anything like a regular poster in a forum it's usually obvious who their new identity is. Plenty of mods have changed their names a few times, too :p

Scrap the cap!

robindch wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, re-registering is fine so long as any previous accounts are either left alone or closed. Simultaneous posting from two or more accounts within the same forum amounts to sock-puppetry, aka astro-turfing and it's likely to result in a site ban for at least one of the accounts. Not so sure about simultaneous posting from two or more open accounts to completely different forums - probably frowned upon, at the very least. If a poster is banned and re-registers and continues to post in the same forum without apparently having learned anything, it's likely that the moderators' fuses will be short indeed - as 100Cent found out.

Finally, and as a matter of courtesy, posters who close one account and open another to post in the same forum should really announce it; same for posters who change their login - just to let people know that it's the same friendly poster from a previous alter-ego.

I thought you might have been referring to moi there for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Including someone who was getting hassle in real life, outed at work, or whatever because someone joined the dots with what they saw posted on their boards account? Hardly.

Although if someone is anything like a regular poster in a forum it's usually obvious who their new identity is. Plenty of mods have changed their names a few times, too :p

Surprisingly common from the guardians of free speech who were struck down by the mods of the forth reich. I've tried to view what the free speech version of boards is, it turns out it is trying to find peoples identities so they can tell their bosses they are a pedophile in one case I saw.

Surprisingly common from the guardians of free speech who were struck down by the mods of the forth reich. I've tried to view what the free speech version of boards is, it turns out it is trying to find peoples identities so they can tell their bosses they are a pedophile in one case I saw.

Indeed. Of course they are looking to put a name and a face on an person of whom they have their own preconceived notions, when perhaps remembering that such things are at best mildly educated guesses would be the wiser course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I'm a bit lost here, maybe I don't have the necessary time served to get all this, but I'd be grateful for an explanation (by PM if warranted, and I suspect it's off topic anyway, so that's another reason)

But what's the free speech version of boards and how would you know if someone was trying to out you to your boss unless it actually happens?

And what's the forth reich?? :confused:

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

volchitsa wrote: »
    And what's the forth reich?? :confused:

It's where all the computer code is written in reverse Polish notation

Scrap the cap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"Virtue signalling" in the first line? Yup, he's trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

He managed to not blame gay people or abortions. Now he has been reduced to complaining about tyrannical political correctness and liberals, a bit strange to use the word tyrannical as a member of organisation wishing to further Catholic goals in politics.

With some luck he might make a positive article in the next 10 years.

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Strange that someone who identifies as pro-life suggests that smoking is a way of cutting health costs as smokers tend to die younger.
    On the other hand, it might be argued that even the secret smoker might one day be a drain on the health system. However, heavy smokers are more likely to die early, thereby saving the system money.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Just came upon this, but the Iona Institute rings alarm bells in my head.
    An extreme right wing catholic organisation .
    There are good things about it, many good things, but there are many sinister things too.
    Has everyone seen the film Spotlight?
    Essential viewing but hard to take as a Catholic who has Christian ideals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What are the many good things Iona does?

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

lazygal wrote: »
    well they were a great help to the Yes campaign in the marriage referendum :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Well, they're are being oppressed and have limited access to spread their claims of persecution through national media.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

lazygal wrote: »

Are you tired of the gays having everything?

Un-gay your marriage with our course: Marriage Plus.

Support our fortnightly national radio slots through Marriage Plus+

The Oppressed Institute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,629 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Are you tired of the gays having everything?

Un-gay your marriage with our course: Marriage Plus.

Support our fortnightly national radio slots through Marriage Plus+

The Oppressed Institute

Don't you know you can pray the gay away? #ionaknowsbest

Advertisement