Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build new garden

Options
  • 12-03-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hello all
    moved in to a newbuild in the country last August, now we need to do the garden. The area round the house has soil on it - clay and lots of stones, tracks from diggers etc. The rest of the site is rough grass, surface is uneven due to cattle grazing on it. Can someone point me to a post here, I have searched or list the main things I need to do re topsoil and grass seed. I'd like to have a small lawn at front and at rear patio rest can be wild meadow. Also need a new fence, and a hedge so lots of work ahead. thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

We were in a similar situation when we finished our new build. A neighbour farmer using a tractor, did all the hard work for us, turned it over, allowed it to dry out and then used a harrow (I think). We paid for the top soil and he did the rest. We then paid for the seed and he organised a couple of guys to pick out the stones and sow the seed, that labour cost €75 for each guy for the day ! The farmer wouldn't hear of taking anything off us for his time and machines, a real neighbour .

Good luck

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I don't suppose the builders moved the topsoil into a pile somewhere?
    Be handy if they did. As it is, you need to plough and rotovate the soil. Get some topsoil and spread it where you want the best grass and Veg or flowers. You'll probably get away with whats their for a wild meadow. Shrubs, trees, ect can be spot treated, i.e. dig a hole and add the compost, soil improving muck, whatever, as you plant.
    Plant a native hedge and use a mix of plants white-thorn are good for keeping out intruders and not just cows. You can put an odd hazel or rowan here and their if you have the space. It will need some protection until it matures so fence all round I'm afraid at first. Nice post and rail at the front, sheepwire and stakes at the back might be the cheapest thing.
    Hope its a good summer for some BBQ and sitting out :D

Advertisement